Calcium in the vegan diet

Dr Greger has compiled research showing supplements can be dangerous-

Calcium is best found through plant sources, leafy dark greens, nuts seeds tofu...at incremental amounts
The Vegan Society and the Vegetarian Resource Group recommend calcium-fortified plant milks and juices, but they don't appear to recommend calcium supplements (pills).

I've been taking a calcium supplement for years, but I've now stopped.

Table 1: Calcium Content of Selected Vegan Foods
FoodAmountCalcium (mg)
Blackstrap molasses2 Tbsp400
Plant milks, calcium-fortified8 ounces100-450
Tofu, processed with calcium sulfate*4 ounces200-434
Tofu, processed with nigari*4 ounces130-400
Calcium-fortified orange juice8 ounces350
Commercial soy yogurt, plain6 ounces300
Collard greens, cooked1 cup268
Turnip greens, cooked1 cup197
Tempeh1 cup184
Kale, cooked1 cup177
Soybeans, cooked1 cup175
Mustard greens, cooked1 cup165
Bok choy, cooked1 cup158
Tahini2 Tbsp128
Navy beans, cooked1 cup126
Okra, cooked1 cup124
Almond butter2 Tbsp111
Almonds, whole1/4 cup94
Broccoli, cooked1 cup62
*Read the label on your tofu container to see if it is processed with calcium sulfate or nigari.

Reactions: David3
Note: Oxalic acid, which is found in spinach, rhubarb, chard, and beet greens binds with the calcium in those foods and reduces its absorption. These foods should not be considered good sources of calcium. Calcium in other green vegetables is well absorbed (1,18). Dietary fiber has little effect on calcium absorption.

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
Calcium is one of those things that can be Really Bad for you if you get too much. On the other hand, women, especially older women need to make sure they get enough.

I'm not sure but i don't think the typical blood test you get at a physical exam tests your calcium. I asked my Dr. and he said no. But if you are concerned you should ask Your doctor.

It's not a bad idea to check your calcium intake with Cronometer. My multi does contain a little calcium (22% of the RDA), the protein powder I sometimes take contains almost none. The fortified plant milks I drink usually bring me up to 100% all by themselves. And then I get almost another 100% from real whole PB foods.

there are absorption issues with Calcium so it's usually best to err and get over 100%. But less than 200%.

Reactions: Emma JC
I'd forgotten about my blackstrap molasses! My plan was to add to 'golden milk', plain soy milk with tumeric, ginger, cloves maybe cinnamon.
I'm ok with the blackstrap but can't do the tumeric!

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
I bought some blackstrap molasses because it was required in a recipe for baked beans. but I felt that it pretty much ruined the baked beans. And then there is only a small amount of it in each serving of baked beans so it really doesn't do much for calcium intake. (unless you eat a lot of baked beans - which makes me think of the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles).

Anyone have a good recipe that includes Blackstrap molasses? or anyone have a good recipe for baked beans?

I bought some blackstrap molasses because it was required in a recipe for baked beans. but I felt that it pretty much ruined the baked beans. And then there is only a small amount of it in each serving of baked beans so it really doesn't do much for calcium intake. (unless you eat a lot of baked beans - which makes me think of the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles).

Anyone have a good recipe that includes Blackstrap molasses? or anyone have a good recipe for baked beans?

Shoofly pie, using margerine instead of butter?

Reactions: Lou

A tablespoon of blackstrap molasses in a mug of hot water or tea can be pretty good.

Reactions: Urban Gardener
It’s puzzling to me that there aren’t more non-dairy, non-fortified foods that contain substantial amounts of calcium.

Dairy consumption was not widespread until recently. It was limited to a few areas. What did people do in non-dairy areas before dairy arrived?

I think that the history of the cabbage plant provides a clue. Cabbages are like the domestic dog of the vegetable world. We’ve bred varieties of the plant to be so different that they’re almost unrecognizable as the same plant. (Collards, kale, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and more.) It’s obviously been a beloved dietary staple for a long time, at least where it was traditionally eaten.

Maybe there are analogues for other regions? Plants high in calcium that people consumed a lot of?

Reactions: Lou
Bone fractures are about more than calcium.

Other nutrients and exercise are involved.

One theory is that vitamin k2 might be involved.

As far as vegan sources go sauerkraut has a tiny bit. Natto ( Japanese fermented soy beans ) has a massive amount. Warning: natto is nasty, and is an acquired taste. It can also be expensive from stores like Whole Foods. Past conversations on this board is that natto from Asian grocery stores can be vegan if you toss the separate flavor packs and natto from such stores may be cheaper.

My mother got osteoporosis at an early age. She ate a relatively healthy diet and got plenty of exercise.

My theory is that it has to do with eating dairy while mildly lactose intolerant. If you’re relying on dairy for calcium and your body doesn’t digest it well, you might lose out on the calcium.

Vitamin D was also probably a factor.

It’s puzzling to me that there aren’t more non-dairy, non-fortified foods that contain substantial amounts of calcium.

Dairy consumption was not widespread until recently. It was limited to a few areas. What did people do in non-dairy areas before dairy arrived?

I think that the history of the cabbage plant provides a clue. Cabbages are like the domestic dog of the vegetable world. We’ve bred varieties of the plant to be so different that they’re almost unrecognizable as the same plant. (Collards, kale, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and more.) It’s obviously been a beloved dietary staple for a long time, at least where it was traditionally eaten.

Maybe there are analogues for other regions? Plants high in calcium that people consumed a lot of?
There is documented proof of mustard green cultivation in the Indus Civilization (modern-day Pakistan) as early as 2500 BCE: Mustard plant - Wikipedia

Collard greens originated in the east Mediterranean: Why Collard Greens? | Latibah Museum

Kale has been cultivated in Asia Minor and the east Mediterranean since 2000 BCE, if not earlier: Kale - Wikipedia

The popularity of cooked greens in southern United States cooking is due to the introduction of these foods by abducted/enslaved people of African ancestry: Why Collard Greens? | Latibah Museum . Lactose intolerance is common among people of west African ancestry: Lactose intolerance: MedlinePlus Genetics

Reactions: Urban Gardener