UK Cafés & Restaurants - Free Tap Water

I can't remember the last time I got charged for a tap water! I think it was about 15 years ago haha. So it's a great idea but I'm not sure on the impact

I can't remember the last time I got charged for a tap water! I think it was about 15 years ago haha. So it's a great idea but I'm not sure on the impact

I've never been charged for tap water. I think that most restaurants or cafés don't mind giving you a glass if need be. When dining out the carafe of tap water is always free.

Even Easyjet does not charge you for a glass of tap water. Most passengers don't seem to be aware of this and never request water on board.

Last edited:
MadamSarcasta recently pointed out a Nat King Cole song from the 1940s called "Frim Fram Sauce." In the song someone orders some fanciful foods that don't really exist, when all he really wants is water.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
MadamSarcasta recently pointed out a Nat King Cole song from the 1940s called "Frim Fram Sauce." In the song someone orders some fanciful foods that don't really exist, when all he really wants is water.
At the very end of the song, he says "Now if you don't have that, just bring me a check for the water." ;)

• frim fram is an alteration of "flim(-)flam," meaning "insignificant stuff" or "nonsense"
  • ussin-fay is pig Latin for "fussin'," playing about fretfully
The Frim-Fram Sauce - Wikipedia

Let me also say that Starbucks has been very accommodating when it comes to giving out cups of water for free.

There is another Starbucks inside the local Kroger. It has a soda machine. You would have to pay for the soda, but it will also dispense water for free.

I'm from Michigan, you can get free tap water anywhere. LOL :rolleyes:

Maybe not in Flint, though.... :dismay:

Personally, I haven't consumed or cooked with tap water in over a decade.

What do you use instead of tap water?
Purified. We have eight one-gallon jugs that we refill at the local Serv-A-Pure place. Hell, my dad's been a regular there for nearly five decades! :)

I tell ya, I'll never make coffee with tap water again. :down: And I don't cook pasta, rice, lentils, quinoa, etc. in it either.... Tap water tastes yucky. :yuck:

I find tap water really varies - I live close to the water treatment facility, so the water tastes a bit chemically. Its really hard too. Some areas its a lot nicer and I wouldn't inflict my tap's water on my guests haha. I got used it though years ago.

I've never been charged for tap water. I think that most restaurants or cafés don't mind giving you a glass if need be.

I once got charged for a glass of water in a nightclub in Torquay. It was 50p, and my drunk friend knocked it over me about 30 seconds after I'd paid. Clearly I was so outraged I've never forgotten!