Buying a portable hard drive: Advice & suggestions?

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
I currently back up all of my critcal files to an online service, but I'd like to be able to backup the entire contents of my hard drive, so that in the event of a HD crash or a particularly bad virus, I could just copy everything back onto a new HD (or the existing one), instead of having to reload dozens of programs.

I've done my due dilligence with researching portable HD's, but any ideas, advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: SummerRain
I currently back up all of my critcal files to an online service, but I'd like to be able to backup the entire contents of my hard drive, so that in the event of a HD crash or a particularly bad virus, I could just copy everything back onto a new HD (or the existing one), instead of having to reload dozens of programs.

I've done my due dilligence with researching portable HD's, but any ideas, advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
My son has this type, no problems with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00E83X9P8/ref=zg_bs_595048_1

I have a Passport also, but haven't had it long enough to say much about it. I base my purchase on the Amazon reviews.

Are you using Windows as your OS, BC?

In my experience Windows needs to be fresh installed every 6-12 months anyway.

For that reason I always regarded a complete system back up/restore as a waste of time.

And just in case it raise a wee grin ....

Me: My PC is running like a three legged donkey, AGAIN!

Freind: Ah, it is probably a well known virus causing that ...

Me: Which virus would that be then?

Freind: 'Windows', it's called ...

Smug gits, Linux users are :fp:

Reactions: ledboots
Personally, I think backing up your "data" as opposed to the complete contents of the hard drive (data + system) is sufficient. To that end, one of the newer big flash drives may be good enough for some people.

During my recent trip to the US, I purchased a Western Digital My Passport 1TB USB2 + USB3. I was careful to get one that was compatible with USB2 since my cheap computer doesn't support USB3. I got it at Best Buy for $85 (incl. tax). I think it was this one, which is now on sale for $74.99 (excl. tax ...):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-p...lack/4911796.p?id=1218575757942&skuId=4911796

Western Digital has another range of portable hard drives called My Book, which are physically bigger and has an external power adapter. While less sexy and more cumbersome due to the size, these may be more reliable since the heat from the power adapter is external to the drive, and the drive is bigger, so there is less heat per volume. (In the end though, the sex appeal of a small drive won me over ... And I believe the My Passport range is newer than My Book as well, not sure.)

I only use LaCie Rugged external hard drives. If you haven't already made your purchase, I'd highly recommend one. They're very portable and can take a fall from the top of a desk.

"I go nowhere without my eight 1 TB Rugged LaCie hard drives." - Questlove

24593002.jpg

Source

Last edited:
Apple suggests that your backup drive be twice the size of the drive you're backing up.

Apple suggests that your backup drive be twice the size of the drive you're backing up.

And what is the logic or reasoning behind this? Why not 1 and 1/2 times as big? Or three times as big? Or ten times as big?

I am not saying Apple is wrong, I am just wondering how they came up with this particular number/size/ratio.

And what is the logic or reasoning behind this? Why not 1 and 1/2 times as big? Or three times as big? Or ten times as big?

Personally, I don't know, but I've heard the same thing from Windows based vendors. They say so that you have more room for future/bigger hard drives, or if you want to back up more than 1.

I am not saying Apple is wrong, I am just wondering how they came up with this particular number/size/ratio.
I'm guessing it has to do with their own backup software (Time Machine). Don't really know though. This page implies the smallest size of the backup drive is the same size as the one you're backing up:

"Connect an external hard drive (FireWire or USB) that has sufficient free space to hold at least one copy of the contents of your Macintosh HD. [...]"