Buying a House

And the fun begins! What started out as a routine wood floor finishing job has become a need to replace a few floor boards because ripping up the existing carpet revealed some damaged/stained boards that did not come off with sanding. It’s not going to be as expensive as I thought so I’m happy about that. We had the option of leaving the stains and covering with carpet again which really isn’t an option as I hate carpet; staining the floor to match the darkness of the stain; replacing the floorboards. Since replacing was within the budget we opted for doing it the right way.

Next week we have the radon system installation and the week after that we replace the piece of pipe leading from the house to the septic. We received credit for that at the closing so at least it’s not coming out of our existing repair budget.

We also got a credit to replace the hot water heater which will also be done soon. And we’re getting some quotes on removing the two dead trees/one fungus looking tree.

And the fun begins! What started out as a routine wood floor finishing job has become a need to replace a few floor boards because ripping up the existing carpet revealed some damaged/stained boards that did not come off with sanding. It’s not going to be as expensive as I thought so I’m happy about that. We had the option of leaving the stains and covering with carpet again which really isn’t an option as I hate carpet; staining the floor to match the darkness of the stain; replacing the floorboards. Since replacing was within the budget we opted for doing it the right way.

Next week we have the radon system installation and the week after that we replace the piece of pipe leading from the house to the septic. We received credit for that at the closing so at least it’s not coming out of our existing repair budget.

We also got a credit to replace the hot water heater which will also be done soon. And we’re getting some quotes on removing the two dead trees/one fungus looking tree.
I put in a wood look sheet vinyl flooring in the living room from Home Depot. I believe Armstrong? Best decision! There was blue carpet over old wood flooring, but I knew better than to have wood with all the cats! Jersey boy is a voracious floor clawer! And their spit ups- I deal with that in my bedroom and it's not pretty. Is there a finishing that will protect wood?

I put in a wood look sheet vinyl flooring in the living room from Home Depot. I believe Armstrong? Best decision! There was blue carpet over old wood flooring, but I knew better than to have wood with all the cats! Jersey boy is a voracious floor clawer! And their spit ups- I deal with that in my bedroom and it's not pretty. Is there a finishing that will protect wood?
We had no issue with the floors in my old house and we are using the same finish so I hope it will be ok. I do like the vinyl plank flooring. We may do that in the basement and kitchen.

We had no issue with the floors in my old house and we are using the same finish so I hope it will be ok. I do like the vinyl plank flooring. We may do that in the basement and kitchen.

When do you actually move in - when the floor job is completed? And will you please post pictures? I love seeing where people live - even if all the jobs aren't finished. :yes:

Reactions: KLS52
When do you actually move in - when the floor job is completed? And will you please post pictures? I love seeing where people live - even if all the jobs aren't finished. :yes:
Well I may move in alone next weekend. We need a septic pipe replaced and husband and son don’t want to move in and be inconvenienced without water and toilet for 1-3 hours. :dismay: It’s not getting done until the first week of May but we don’t have an actual date. So it can be any day between the 4-8th. I don’t want to wait! So I said I would take the cats and go on the 2. If I get a call that they will come on the 4th then I won’t mind waiting two more days. But I’m not waiting another whole week.
I will definitely post pictures. I can post some from when it was listed. Just keep in mind it needs some work! The kitchen is small and dated.

Reactions: Poppy
That's very nice wood! I should have my bedroom sanded and sealed, it's the only room that doesn't have vinyl covering.
What about the stairs? We still have the old blue carpet on the stairs, and of course the cats are tearing it up on the bottom ones. I know they're just plywood covered

They did the stairs too but only the top. The risers will be painted white.

Reactions: PTree15
That's so nice! Are those doors behind the shutters?
Yes they lead out to a small deck. The backyard is pretty non existent but I’m not one to sit outside much. There’s a small rock mountain out there but I kind of like it lol.

@KLS52 - That's beautiful! Looks like you have light from all directions, which is so nice! I love those tall windows in the front and back of the living/dining. And it's very nice that there are shutters already in place. Wow!

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15