Buying a car with leather seats?

Alissa

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi All,

I have recently accepted an absolutely amazing job offer, which requires me to have a car and drive 80+ kilometers a day. I have a limit on my budget and would prefer a hybrid for the environmental aspect, also it has to be reliable as I will be on the road so much. Now a family friend, who is a car dealer, has made me an offer for a used car in incredible state and for a price, that I wont get a second time (even in comparison to non-hybrid cars). The problem is: it has leather seats, which is posing an ethical problem.
Also time is of the essence. I have to make a decision until tomorrow if I want to take the offer and also my job is starting in a week, so either way I have to act fast. So far, I haven't come across any other offer, that even comes close in terms of the price & state of car.

Now I don't know what to do.. I've been running a meriad of questions through my head like:
If I had a higher budget and was deciding for a new car, would I go for one with leather seats? No
Would I buy a second hand leather jacket? No
etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Reactions: betiPT
I'd feel like a hypocrite every time I got in my car. In the long run how good a deal it was wouldn't matter. You expect to be spending a lot of time on the road...spend that time in something that reinforces your veganism.

It's already a used car so it's not like you're putting money into a new car that's adding to the demand of leather seats. When I buy shoes I get them at goodwill so I don't necessarily look at what they are made of. I'd say go for it if you need it for work.

I say do the best you can with what you have right now. If this is your only means for transportation so you can provide for yourself (and possibly others), then you have to do what you have to do. You can make better choices when your finances enable you to do so at a later date.

It's already a used car so it's not like you're putting money into a new car that's adding to the demand of leather seats. When I buy shoes I get them at goodwill so I don't necessarily look at what they are made of. I'd say go for it if you need it for work.

I think that is exactly the right sentiment.

And it is so hard to find cars without leather seats anymore. I think my car may have been the last Honda made without leather seats. and its 20 years old. I think this clearly falls into the "practical and possible".

My sister's new electric BMW doesn't have leather seats. It has wool seats. Sometimes you just have to deal.

this is one of those times you have to let it slide dude when it comes to your job in the current time

Hi ,
I, personally, wouldn’t buy the car. An animal/animals were killed for their meat (or maybe not) and the leather supports the slaughterhouses doing the killing. If it is a new car, it could contribute to the unnecessary killing of other animals.
Please look for another car without leather if need be. Better yet, get an animal-friendly, ethical bicycle or tricycle, if you can, if this would be a suitable option for you. This would be better for you (exercise) and better for the environment.
Thank you to the moon and back.
May you be perfectly well, healthy, happy and safe forever.
Have the best day and night ever!
Best wishes,
Rory.

Wow, what a dilemma! Are you sure that it is not a faux leather? And if not, it's always better to check car's history (here, for example www.faxvin.com/vin-decoder) and be completly sure that everething else is ok....