Buy new or recycle?

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Would you rather buy new vegan products (which will have had an effect on the environment to produce and transport) or get the same item second hand but made from animal products? Xxx

Depends on the product, I guess. While I have some "pre-gan" leather shoes that I won't discard until they're worn out, I won't wear used shoes, vegan or otherwise. Gross. However, I might be ok with purchasing, say, a vintage party dress that contains silk.

Yeah I will buy used wool and silk etc. (and accept as gifts) but leather grosses me out and I won't wear it. Plus it's the first thing omnis look for on you when they find out you're veg*n so they can call you a hypocrite.

The second hand wool and silk is the main reason I don't call myself vegan.

I prefer to buy second-hand vegan clothing from charity shops but it isn't always practical now for me to trawl through charity shops. I do buy new vegan things from shops as I like to give my money to stores that sell vegan stuff and it's more convenient.

I gave my non-vegan boots and shoes to charity shops or to textile recycling and I do the same with clothing I don't want or it sometimes ends up as rags for cleaning floors or to line the dog or cat beds so any new clothing I buy gets reused.

I don't buy non-vegan used items as the vegan footwear I've bought has lasted well, apart from vegan sandals actually. I only have about six items of footwear anyway.:D

I guess I'd rather buy new knowing it was vegan if I'm honest. Luckily I'm in a financial position where I can do that though and I know everybody isn't unfortunately. I'm actually glad you posted this because its not something I've given much thought to. Really I should buy second hand and think of the environmental effect a bit more!

I'm in the process of sorting through stuff at the moment. I've got two pairs of boots that are practically new that I'm going to take to the charity shop, and I've got a huge Soap + Glory gift set that I got at Christmas that I'm sure one of the girls in work will make use of.

Depends on the product, I guess. While I have some "pre-gan" leather shoes that I won't discard until they're worn out, I won't wear used shoes, vegan or otherwise. Gross. However, I might be ok with purchasing, say, a vintage party dress that contains silk.
I used to feel that was gross, and never looked. One day I happened on a pair of tuxedo shoes in my sons size that looked brand new! Smooth soles and everything! Since then I always look, and sometimes come across known vegan brands, and things that don't look worn.
Even if they're gently worn they can be cleaned.

The reason I was thinking about this started with thoughts of palm oil...which then lead me to think about what my wooden furniture etc are made out of and what impact they have had on habitats. Though my OP is easier to think about in regards to clothing, I was wondering which are the most environmentally friendly woods and would I rather buy something new made of this or second hand but knowing the distraction it may have caused. This then made me think of vegan items xxx

Recycle. For the least harm to animals (indirectly and directly), recycling used animal products makes sense over buying new non-animal products.

But I'd prefer used non-animal products to used animal products. For some things, that is possible or very easy (It's not like I'm going to prefer leather pants over cotton pants, for example). For other things, it's nearly impossible (used dress shoes tend to be leather, so are used belts).

It depends.
I try and avoid non vegan footwear if i can, buying brands that I have researched and have assured use vegan glues, however I do own a few pairs of non vegan shoes mainly because my sister was throwing them out and i thought theyd be handy for garden work, decorating stuff like that rather than shelling out on brand new shoes for that purpose.
I used up all of my old non vegan toiletries rather than throw them away and my family now know to buy me BUAV approved items if they are going to get me stuff.
As far as furniture is concerned I hadnt really thought about it, i think it could be really difficult and very expensive to track down fully ethical homeware. I care about animals but with a £100,000 mortgage over our heads theres just certain things we cannot afford to do right now. Its costs enough to furnish a home these days.
I would actively choose a vegan option though, like a synthetic carpet/rug over a wool one.
Im happy with what I do, thats all I need to know.

I only have one piece of new furniture in my house lol. The beds, sofas, dining room table, coffee table, bedroom drawers etc are all local and second hand. This was again from the mortgage I pay by myself. It does however include leather sofa and chairs that would otherwise have gone to the dump :-/ xxx

I guess i was lucky in that my parents gave us some of their furniture(not the same as getting strangers secondhand stuff) and we both had a few bits from our 'rooms', we did buy a few new things but very cheaply and also stuff we needed and didnt have.

I only have one piece of new furniture in my house lol. The beds, sofas, dining room table, coffee table, bedroom drawers etc are all local and second hand. This was again from the mortgage I pay by myself. It does however include leather sofa and chairs that would otherwise have gone to the dump :-/ xxx

What do you mean by local? Do you mean that the furniture was made from local trees or that you bought it from local businesses?:confused::p

I would buy second-hand furniture as I have often seen pretty tables and chairs in charity shops but as our household doesn't have a car it's easier to buy new furniture as it gets delivered to our home.

I wouldn't buy second-hand soft furniture (sofa, etc). The last thing I need is a bed bug infestation.

TBH, second-hand clothing squicks me, too.