Health & Medicine Butter good, margarine bad?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This claim has been made for a while now, but seems to be gaining acceptance in the nutritional field. Is there something to it? We all know trans fats are bad, obviously. How much trans fats are really in margarine?

Scientists said research showed that trans fats - industrially produced from plant oils and found in products from margarine to snack foods - had no health benefits and raised the risk of death by any cause by a third.

But saturated fats, found in animal products including milk and meat, were not linked to increased risk of death, heart disease, stroke or Type 2 diabetes.
More: Why butter is fine, but too much margarine could kill you - Independent.ie (13. August 2015)

I don't use margarine on my bread, but I believe it's used in many recipes, e.g. baking. Can it be replaced with something else?

Butter can be replaced by oil or part cream/yogurt and oil for most cakes. You can make pastry using oil but it really doesn't have the same delicious end result.

Shortening ; Trex, Cookeen all contain hydrogenated fats. The taste is fabulous but it's not really healthy.

I'm considering to make my own margarine as I'm concerned that I'm consuming too much palm oil.

Reactions: Second Summer
It appears to be clear that trans fat is not good for you- at least if you're prone to cardiovascular disease (I'm quite sure that I am, given my family history). I'm still not convinced that saturated fats are so good either, though... at least not too much of them... (but how much would be "too much"?)

I know, this is a very unpopular opinion, but i don't see any sense in going vegan if you are eating faux meat, faux cheese, etc. I'm a freak maybe, but i don't eat soy, coffee, mushrooms, oils, faux meat and cheese, bakery, chocolate, and many other common things that vegans usually eat. But i'm not a raw foodist! My crazy stomach regulates what i should eat.:p. Being vegan is about changing your mind, not your pantry, right?

I know, this is a very unpopular opinion, but i don't see any sense in going vegan if you are eating faux meat, faux cheese, etc.

Do you mind if I ask why? Obviously a personal choice not to eat those things for whatever reason is totally fine, but if the point of going vegan is to reduce animal harm as much as possible, and you still want something resembling the tastes/textures of meat and cheese in your diet, then why not go the substitute route?

Reactions: ledboots
No chocolate?? :eek: Life would be not be worth living without chocolate. :no:

I eat faux meat and cheese because I became a vegan for ethical reasons, not health. Now, gimme my junk food. :p

I still don't understand how someone can be a vegan for health reasons? What health reason is there to stop wearing leather, fur, wool, etc?

Last edited:
I know, this is a very unpopular opinion, but i don't see any sense in going vegan if you are eating faux meat, faux cheese, etc. I'm a freak maybe, but i don't eat soy, coffee, mushrooms, oils, faux meat and cheese, bakery, chocolate, and many other common things that vegans usually eat. But i'm not a raw foodist! My crazy stomach regulates what i should eat.[emoji14]. Being vegan is about changing your mind, not your pantry, right?
I went vegetarian so I wouldn't be responsible for the deaths of animals for my appetite. Same when I went vegan. Faux meat rules because it is faux. People can eat a fakin' bacon BLT sandwich, and nobody gets hurt. :)

Reactions: KLS52
I went vegetarian so I wouldn't be responsible for the deaths of animals for my appetite. Same when I went vegan. Faux meat rules because it is faux. People can eat a fakin' bacon BLT sandwich, and nobody gets hurt. :)
Geez, i've hardly been trying to offend anyone, especially you. Like i said, this is just an opinion. And this is all about my reasons of being vegan. Unfortunately, at first i became vegan at once only because my body started rejecting animal products. But for now all this is a part of Ahimsa, compassion and taking care of others. You're right: no matter what you eat. And finally, i believe, no matter what reasons lead you to veganism. Everybody has his own way.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
I'd like to eat more faux meat, but the stuff I like, like VBites, or Vegusto are online, and I get fed up of making special orders, and spending all that money.

I'd like to eat more faux meat, but the stuff I like, like VBites, or Vegusto are online, and I get fed up of making special orders, and spending all that money.

Do you have a local Holland and Barrett with a fridge/freezer? They stock VBites. It's still on the pricey side, but they often have sales and reduce things, and it at least avoids delivery costs and minimum order spends :)

there is a H&B in town I think, but I keep myself away from the crowds most of the time...too nerve racking.

Geez, i've hardly been trying to offend anyone, especially you. Like i said, this is just an opinion. And this is all about my reasons of being vegan. Unfortunately, at first i became vegan at once only because my body started rejecting animal products. But for now all this is a part of Ahimsa, compassion and taking care of others. You're right: no matter what you eat. And finally, i believe, no matter what reasons lead you to veganism. Everybody has his own way.:)
I think this sentence might be what offended people, especially the bolded part: I know, this is a very unpopular opinion, but i don't see any sense in going vegan if you are eating faux meat, faux cheese, etc.

So we wanted to explain that veganism is about saving animals, not whether or not you eat processed foods resembling meat, or eat chocolate cake for breakfast. As long as the food you eat does not contain any real animal products, then it's saving animals, which is what veganism is about.

I think this sentence might be what offended people, especially the bolded part: I know, this is a very unpopular opinion, but i don't see any sense in going vegan if you are eating faux meat, faux cheese, etc.

So we wanted to explain that veganism is about saving animals, not whether or not you eat processed foods resembling meat, or eat chocolate cake for breakfast. As long as the food you eat does not contain any real animal products, then it's saving animals, which is what veganism is about.
I'm so sorry. :ooal: