Lifestyle
  1. Other
1 large (400g) tin of drained butter beans
2 cloves of sliced garlic
250 ml vegetable stock
3 tbs of olive oil
1 tsp French Dijon mustard
salt & freshly ground pepper
Place the beans into a large saucepan with the garlic. Add the stock and bring to the
boil. Reduce the heat and gently simmer for approx 5 mins.
Drain the beans and reserve the stock.
Put the mustard and oil into a large bowl and stir. Add the beans and garlic and mash with
a potato masher adding a little salt and pepper and extra stock if the mash is too thick.
Tip : This mash is ideal as a side dish with nut roast, veggie burgers, vegan sausages or wilted spinach.
You can also add 1 tbs of non dairy cream for extra creaminess.

I just tried this and I have to say it was really good.I reduced the oil to two tablespoons but other than that I made it exactly how it was written.Yum!:lick:

I am always surprised by how good plain beans can be made to taste.Even though I eat them a lot some recipes just stand out.Thanks Shyvas.

Last edited:
I've never had butter beans. This sounds really good!

;)
I just tried this and I have to say it was really good.I reduced the oil to two tablespoons but other than that I made it exactly how it was written.Yum!:lick:

I am always surprised by how good plain beans can be made to taste.Even though I eat them a lot some recipes just stand out.Thanks Shyvas.

You can also drizzle some evo over the mash.

That dijon mustard is a great addition. :)

Dijon Mustard is often that magical ingredient that gives a little kick to lots of dishes.
I've never had butter beans. This sounds really good!

They do have a lovely velvety texture and buttery taste. If you're doing a low GI diet you can substitute bean mash for potato mash as beans only have a low GI index of 31 as opposed to mashed potatoes that have 76 ! It makes a nice topping for cottage pie instead of potatoes.

You can also make butter bean patties using various vegetables and spices and thicken sauces and soups with any leftover mash.
Plain bean mash(before adding other ingredients) is also great for making cakes and muffins.

Reactions: Everleigh and KLS52
Are butter beans the same thing as lima beans?

Not the types I've tried. The ones I've had are somewhat similar in appearance, but not taste wise. They have the same shape. Lima beans are a bit smaller and often green, while butter beans are bigger and yellow. Lima beans have a dry somewhat chalky texture, while butter beans are just like Shyvas described as buttery and velvety.

:D
Not the types I've tried. The ones I've had are somewhat similar in appearance, but not taste wise. They have the same shape. Lima beans are a bit smaller and often green, while butter beans are bigger and yellow. Lima beans have a dry somewhat chalky texture, while butter beans are just like Shyvas described as buttery and velvety.

I've never seen Lima beans overhere. Butter beans are flat and have a slightly yellow tinge. However if you google up the word most links say that butterbeans are also called Lima beans. We need a bean expert ?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-lima-beans.htm

00664980.jpg

Last edited:
Not a bean expert. But from the link:
"In addition to coming in two sizes, lima beans also come in numerous cultivars that may have distinctive coloration patterns. Typically, the beans are green to creamy white, with a starchy flavor that also has a hint of smooth richness"

I've only had the green ones. And that was when I had Campbell's vegetarian vegetable soup as a kid. Real gourmet food, lol.

I'm going to the grocery store this morning. Going to pick up some butter beans. :)

When I google Lima bean
5yqepedy.jpg

Butter bean
5yheraqe.jpg

Apparently they are one and the same but I think they are different enough. I'm sticking with the white ones for the purpose of this recipe.

^Yes that's it!
I haven't had lima beans in forever since I don't find them particularly tasty. I much more prefer butter beans.

I'm back from the store with my butter beans! Now, lets see how long it takes me to make the mash. :D

Reactions: thefadedone
I'm back from the store with my butter beans! Now, lets see how long it takes me to make the mash. :D

When I google Lima bean
5yqepedy.jpg

Butter bean
5yheraqe.jpg

Apparently they are one and the same but I think they are different enough. I'm sticking with the white ones for the purpose of this recipe.

The lima beans I buy (both large and small varieties) are dried and look like picture 2 when cooked. I think the green ones are green because they are harvested and cooked before becoming dried.