Nutrition & Diet "But where do you get your protein?"

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
Possibly the question veg*ns get asked most, alongside "but how could you give up BACON?!", is how we get our protein. I'm sure most of us, after a few years of hearing it constantly, have just started rolling our eyes or doling out sarcastic responses. I know I have :p

But I thought we could have a thread amongst ourselves for sharing our favourite protein sources (and trash talking the ones we hate). It might also act as a resource, so instead of those sarcastic responses, we can actually start listing off dozens of veg*n sources of protein until people get bored and walk away.

As for my favourite sources; tofu is a big one, because it's so versatile. Probably going to have a tofu omelette for dinner tonight (using a whole block) as I've been out for a 5k run today and I'll need a bit extra than I usually get.

I also love seitan - I make it myself (because it's hard to buy around here), and will quite happily just eat a whole block of it grilled (like a steak).

I hate Tempeh though. I've tried it a few times and I just can't stomach it.

Reactions: kraigwd
I usually rely on tofu ( which I dislike) as it is the cheapest source on vegan protein that I can find over here. I must state that I'm not a vegan and do
eat vegetarian food from time to time. Seitan is very expensive so when I have time, I cook up a batch and freeze half of it. I usually cut it
into thin slices and mince it. I like it in stir fries, mince sauce, or just sautéed and served with either a sauce or lots of vegetables.

I absolutely love fake meats which, I buy when I'm in the UK, US or Canada and freeze them. You can't beat Gardein products for taste
and quality. I also like all the fake sausages, meats that you can purchase in the UK supermarkets and in H&B.

During the winter months, I eat pulses; beans, lentils. I usually make chills, soups or salads.

I also like to have a soya protein smoothie for lunch to keep my sugar levels regular. If not I tend to feel tired and am prone to
migraine attacks.

I also eat nuts e.g. amandes, cashews and avocados for snacks. If I'm really hungry during the day, I'll make an avocado and cashew soya protein smoothie or have some peanut butter with celery or just off the spoon.

Yes, eating enough protein is important for one's health and well being.

I absolutely love fake meats which, I buy when I'm in the UK, US or Canada and freeze them. You can't beat Gardein products for taste
and quality. I also like all the fake sausages, meats that you can purchase in the UK supermarkets and in H&B.

I'm also a big fan of fake meats - I find that they allow me to cook more nutritionally balanced and varied meals (because I convert meaty recipes). For example, the vegan sausage and bean casserole I made over the weekend has 29g of protein per 450kcal portion.

Also, they taste damned good :p

Reactions: PTree15
I'm also a big fan of fake meats - I find that they allow me to cook more nutritionally balanced and varied meals (because I convert meaty recipes). For example, the vegan sausage and bean casserole I made over the weekend has 29g of protein per 450kcal portion.

Also, they taste damned good :p

Ooh yes. I love British ve*n bangers. They are the best that I have ever tasted.

I have also noticed that when I cook with fake meats I also feel that I have had a very tasty and substantial meal. These last few weeks whilst I
was on Vancouver Island, I literally lived off tortilla wraps with Gardein chipotle crispy tenders and hardly ever snacked. I felt completely
satisfied with all of my meals.

Tofu is great. My daughter (3.5 y.o.) is a big fan as well.

Refried beans is another favourite of mine. Goes well with Mexican food.

Seitan is also a favourite. We don't eat it very often though, since it's not available in the shops so we have to make it from wheat protein flour which has to be ordered online.

Soya milk provides a little protein too, certainly many times more than almond milk. While perhaps almond milk tastes better plain, I don't have a problem with soya milk on my cereal or with oatmeal as I find that these foods mostly mask the taste. Also, there are sweetened soya milks that I don't mind drinking plain. Especially the refrigerated Alpro is really nice.

Lentils are great, all kinds, really. I prefer the green / brown varieties, as they seem a little more flavourful or at least have a bit more texture. Lentil soup is nice.

Peanut butter is another good source which I eat fairly often. I prefer the smooth types, but without any added sugar or other unnecessary unhealthy ingredients.

I used to pop a couple of grams of lysine a day, in pill form...

the other amnio acids you prob don't need to worry about.

Haven't really bothered for a couple of months now....just eating junk.

Last edited:
Like many of you here, I'm big on tofu, seitan (homemade most of the time because I think mine tastes better, lol), beans and soy milk as well, though mostly in lattes. :D I love stir-fries with seitan and tofu scrambles. I like to make tofu quiches as well, as they include a lot of vegetables. Sometimes I will marinate tofu and grill it, which is delicious. Normally I try not to eat the whole block, but when I make it this way, I almost can't help myself. I love it.
I make lots of veggie chili and bean burgers of various types as well, and eat a good amount of nuts, usually sprinkled in salads or mixed in with smoothies. And I'm a big fan of nut butters.
This thread is making me hungry. :D

Reactions: AeryFairy
Like many of you here, I'm big on tofu, seitan (homemade most of the time because I think mine tastes better, lol), beans and soy milk as well, though mostly in lattes. :D I love stir-fries with seitan and tofu scrambles. I like to make tofu quiches as well, as they include a lot of vegetables. Sometimes I will marinate tofu and grill it, which is delicious. Normally I try not to eat the whole block, but when I make it this way, I almost can't help myself. I love it.
I make lots of veggie chili and bean burgers of various types as well, and eat a good amount of nuts, usually sprinkled in salads or mixed in with smoothies. And I'm a big fan of nut butters.
This thread is making me hungry. :D

I also like stir fries with sautéed seitan.

I also drink soya milk, have soya yogurts for snacks or desserts and eat lots of seeds and nuts. Avocadoes are also a staple.

I get my protein most commonly from: spinach, peas, corn, tomatoes, beans, garlic, paprika, basil, oregano, brown rice, Tofurky Italian "sausage", Boca crumbles.

Poor Robin, I think he's actually asking a fair question here!
I get my protein most commonly from: spinach, peas, corn, tomatoes, beans, garlic, paprika, basil, oregano, brown rice, Tofurky Italian "sausage", Boca crumbles.
OK, you are sort of answering the question, as it is, but perhaps not the question people typically mean to ask, namely:

Which protein sources typically provide you with the most protein in a day?

To be honest, I have some doubts about the basil and oregano and garlic and paprika and the spinach as well!

Even though green leafy vegetables and potatoes don't have much protein as a percentage of weight, they probably still provide me with a meaningful amount of protein because I eat a lot of them. But most of my protein undoubtedly comes from grains and legumes, along with sunflower kernels.

So, what are good applications that you use for tracking your food intake?

I am totally overjoyed - have just seen that Nutridiary :: Free Online Diet Diary seems to be back (did not work for some time), so might start tracking my meals there again... I really liked that one, as it had a lot of meals already there and setting up a meal was quite easy.

Best regards,
Andy

Reactions: ledboots
Depends on how much basil you do eat in a day...

Amounts Per Selected Serving (5 g)

Calories total: 1.2

From Carbohydrate 0.5
From Fat 0.3
From Protein 0.4
From Alcohol 0.0

Also, if you eat 100 grams of it, you get 4 grams of protein.
Not very much, but not "no protein" either :)

Read More Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Basil, fresh