Broke Veggie

Grayveggie

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I was wondering, if it's ok to eat pb&j sandwiches, the one brand of ramen noodles that is vegan, grilled cheese, etc when you are on a really tight budget???? I figure as long as it's not meat, then I'm ok. But I guess nutritionally speaking, it's probably not good...... My hours at work were cut and I'm thinking of cutting back even more to lessen the stress, so I'm trying to eat CHEAP! If I can get it in the Dollar Tree, that's all the better! Any advice/suggestions??????

I was wondering, if it's ok to eat pb&j sandwiches, the one brand of ramen noodles that is vegan, grilled cheese, etc when you are on a really tight budget???? I figure as long as it's not meat, then I'm ok. But I guess nutritionally speaking, it's probably not good...... My hours at work were cut and I'm thinking of cutting back even more to lessen the stress, so I'm trying to eat CHEAP! If I can get it in the Dollar Tree, that's all the better! Any advice/suggestions??????

Well, as long as you're aware that, generally, most of that stuff is going to be very high in sodium and/or sugar... maybe you'd be cool with stuff like some canned veggies, oats, rice, pasta... but watch out for the heavily processed crap. Read labels!! LOL

And Dollar Tree may not be the cheapest way to go when EVERY item is $1.00.... often times you can get better deals on multiple items at larger grocery chains (i.e. 4/$5 or 10/$10, etc.)... and better, fresher choices. I've done plenty of dollar store food shopping in the past.... in the long run (in my experience), it is NOT cheaper.

Frequent a store that has a rewards program you can sign up for! I just got a ton of free stuff from my local Kroger & get very good deals all the time on the stuff I buy most frequently! :) They have deals on produce this week, with my Kroger card, like tomatoes & green beans, both 99 cents a pound, bunches of fresh greens (collard, kale, mustard, turnip) are only 79 cents... you won't be able to get fresh fruits & veggies at the dollar store. ;)

Are there any farmer's markets in your area?? Those would definitely be worth a look, too.

Or find a place that sells "ugly" produce at a discount! :up:

For sure, though, get yourself some staples like rice, pasta, couscous, beans.... and some POTATOES! Yeah, get a big sack o' taters! They're cheap, nutritious, versatile, and super tasty. :lick:

Last edited:
Reactions: PiSis and PTree15
Depends how you look at it but personally I think it's OK but others won't agree.

To keep it occasional, could you try finding some cheap veg foods that last more than a couple of days (nuts, fruits) and stocking up the house with them and taking them with you as well.

I think veg/non veg trade offs for cost are less likely, but more likely for convenience.

There does seem to be a tradeoff between unhealthy and healthy foods cost wise though.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I was thinking about pasta and rice and maybe some black beans as well?

Reactions: PiSis
My main way of saving big bucks is going to the farmer's markets (as also mentioned by MadameSarcastra)...we buy all our fruit and veggie staples there at a fraction of a cost of the regular super markets/Costco etc.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
Thanks everyone for your replies! I was thinking about pasta and rice and maybe some black beans as well?
Yes, these are good choices....Costco has really stepped up to the organic plate and now offers so many good choices. They have a great quinoa pasta.
I cut out all my rice and replaced it with quinoa and again, Costco has a couple of great organic quinoas....regular and blended white & red quinoas.

Last edited:
I'm throwing my vote in for garbanzos! My favorite of the canned beans, by far.... I can make hummus, I can make falafel, I add them to my homemade pasta sauce, I make snacks of spicy, crispy roasted chickpeas.... love 'em! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: PiSis and Amy SF
I do lots of pasta, salads, lots of potatoes (hash browns, baked, french fries, mashed), cereal when it's on sale, rice with veggies. I try to always have flour, sugar and yeast on hand, so I can make breads, cookies, pizza dough/bread sticks, bagels, etc.

Make a large pot of vegan chili at home, and bring some of it to the office!

Hummus was already mentioned - if you have a blender, you can make it yourself from canned beans and it is totally awesome and likely more healthy than PB.

Reactions: Calliegirl
Lentils and beans are cheap and can be bought in the ethnic food aisles in supermarkets/stores usually at much cheaper prices. I was very short of money in the first years after I first went vegan and I shopped at fruit and veg stalls for fresh produce rather than supermarkets. They are far cheaper, and usually taste much nicer as a bonus. I live near an area with a large Indian population so I often travelled there to bulk buy rice and spices etc...

Rice, pasta, potatoes are all cheap forms of carbs.

Weekly meal planning and using up leftovers also saves money. Whenever you make a hot meal, make one extra for the fridge or freezer to have for a meal later in the week.

Indeed!!! Lentils are awesome, too!

All of these one-pot-foods can also nicely be eaten with rice, IMO.

I definately feel better since laying off meat! So I'm sure I can get by following all the suggestions/advice and keeping it simple and cheap, at least until I get back on my feet. Thank you to all who replied to my post! You guys seem so friendly and welcoming, I can tell I'm going to enjoy my time here!!

I agree with everyone who has already posted some great ideas. What I also recommend is making ahead of time stuff like soups, stews and chili, which can be kept in the freezer in small quantities using jars. Not only will it be convenient for you, it can discourage you from spending extra at restaurants and supermarkets for the same item. And the plus is you know exactly what goes into what you make. Buy pasta, noodles and rice in bulk and cook small quantities for freezing so they're convenient, and avoid the precooked versions. Avoid precut produce and make your own cut fruit and veggies. If it's cheaper to buy loose lettuce and fruits and vegetables than to buy the pre-packaged kinds, then do that. You may end up with more per pound than you'd get with the bagged and boxed items. Watch the supermarket ads for sales and deals on fresh produce and other items you can stock up on, and take advantage of those. If you haven't done so already, you might want to sign up for your local supermarket rewards program as you can get rewards-only deals like discounts on produce.

I'm sorry to hear of your budget issues. And I hear you on the stress at work factor. My job is killing me.

In years past when I was broke, I ate, I've never known hunger, but I didn't think about what I was eating at all. I certainly eat more fruits and vegetables now than I did many years ago.

Any food banks in your area. Organizations that distribute foods about to expire or as mentioned those fruits and veggies that may not look great but are still good to eat. Even if your not a senior, a senior center may have information. And if you make low enough to qualify, food assistance.

Check out your cheaper grocery stores. I've heard to avoid shopping the very first of the month also. May be only a rumor.

Frozen vegetables are acceptable and a bag can be made to last if you cook a little every day. I'm not a snobby eater but I can't handle frozen Brussel sprouts.

Oh it's not that I need to go to a food pantry or anything, I just need to be very careful with my money since I have a smaller paycheck now and some doctor bills I didn't plan on. I'm just trying to go vegan the cheapest way possible. I know a lot of the vegan convenience products are expensive so I want to stick with cheap basics like rice, beans, fruit, veggies, etc.