Health Issues Brits - Highest Consumers of Alcohol

Wow, the average adult Brit drinks more than two bottles of wine per week! Suddenly, my very occasional bottle of wine doesn't seem so bad!

Reactions: PTree15
That does seem like a lot of wine. :D It takes me about three days to consume a bottle wine, as I usually drink wine with a meal. I haven't had it that much of late, mostly because I'm watching my pennies.

Wow, the average adult Brit drinks more than two bottles of wine per week! Suddenly, my very occasional bottle of wine doesn't seem so bad!

My aunt and uncle both (86 &90) both have 2 glasses of wine before dinner. So that would mean that they consume more than 2 bottles per week.
At my cousin's we would both have 1 glass per day, which means just over 1 bottle per week. ;)

According to medical research it is highly advised to have 2 alcohol free days per week so that the liver can restore it's cells. So that would mean it's safer to drink just under a bottle per week during 5 days. :rolleyes:

According to medical research it is highly advised to have 2 alcohol free days per week so that the liver can restore it's cells. So that would mean it's safer to drink just under a bottle per week during 5 days. :rolleyes:
Yeah, and you don't want the wine to go bad either, so better to finish it off sooner rather than later! o_O😁

• Haha
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
Yeah, and you don't want the wine to go bad either, so better to finish it off sooner rather than later! o_O😁

If it's red wine, I always transfer it to a small bottle as air exposure oxidises the wine. White wine is a bit different and keeps for far longer. ;)

True! I sometimes end up using wine for cooking if I'm not in the mood for it after my initial couple of glasses.:D

True! I sometimes end up using wine for cooking if I'm not in the mood for it after my initial couple of glasses.:D

You can also freeze leftover wine in ice cube trays. It's more convient to just add one or two cubes when making stews or sauces.;)

Gin sales (66 million bottles)in the UK have reached another record-breaking high helped by this summer’s heatwave, world cup fever and by Millennials discovering their love for new pink and flavoured gins.

The Wine and Spirit Trade Association’s end of year market report shows a massive boost in gin sales over the summer taking the total sales value to over £1.9 billion.

The respected industry body’s report showed that over 66 million bottles of gin were sold in the UK in 12 months, up 41% and over 19 million more bottles than the same period last year.

Latest report shows 66 Million bottles of Gin sold in UK in 2018 | North West FDMB

You can also freeze leftover wine in ice cube trays. It's more convient to just add one or two cubes when making stews or sauces.;)
Wow, I didn't think alcohol would freeze. That is a fine idea.

Wow, I didn't think alcohol would freeze. That is a fine idea.

It depends on the alcohol content. Spirits such as vodka, gin and whisky don't freeze dut to the high alcohol content. Therefore, you can
store a bottle of gin in the freezer. I always keep a bottle of gin in the fridge. :)
However, wine which has a low alcohol content, freezes perfectly well. It's a good tip if you have
any leftovers as you can just add a few ice cubes of wine when you make a dish or sauce which require a few spoons fo the former.

I'm mostly a mix of Irish and English, but somehow I never did acquire a real taste for alcohol. I can drink a full glass of beer/lager/stout or wine without forcing myself, but it wouldn;t bother me if I never had it again. And just one sip of Southern Comfort (quite some time ago) was more than enough for me. PLEH.

I know many folks like the taste of it, since non-alcoholic beers and other beverages sell reasonably well. And I guess the buzz can be fun.

It depends on the alcohol content. Spirits such as vodka, gin and whisky don't freeze dut to the high alcohol content. Therefore, you can
store a bottle of gin in the freezer. I always keep a bottle of gin in the fridge. :)
However, wine which has a low alcohol content, freezes perfectly well. It's a good tip if you have
any leftovers as you can just add a few ice cubes of wine when you make a dish or sauce which require a few spoons fo the former.

Ahh, OK. That makes sense. I store limoncello and Fireball whiskey in the freezer. I love the idea of the wine cubes.