British Children and Severe Sunburn

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hospitals across the UK say they have seen a rise in the number of severe sunburn cases among children,
including a 4 week baby, as Britain continues to bask in its longest heatwave for seven years.
Temps are expected to be as high as 35°C during the course of next week.

http://news.sky.com/story/1118210/heatwave-causing-rise-in-child-sunburn-cases
That's awful. I often see tourists here in Florida who are sunburned, including kids. I have told people at the beach and theme parks that they are already sunburned when I can tell they don't know how red they'll be later.

I hope Britain cools down soon!

That's awful. I often see tourists here in Florida who are sunburned, including kids. I have told people at the beach and theme parks that they are already sunburned when I can tell they don't know how red they'll be later.

I hope Britain cools down soon!

No - it's going to be even hotter next week and the children are all on summer holiday.

The woman in the video says that her son had a sun block factor 50, but most people don't know that you have to top it up. It's better to cover children with a shirt, hat and not to let them out between 11 and 3 pm.

No - it's going to be even hotter next week and the children are all on summer holiday.

The woman in the video says that her son had a sun block factor 50, but most people don't know that you have to top it up. It's better to cover children with a shirt, hat and not to let them out between 11 and 3 pm.
They *must* reapply the sun block frequently when the sun is that strong, especially if they perspire or go swimming. And young babies need to be OUT of direct sunlight, especially the fair skinned ones.

I raised two pale outdoor-loving kids in Florida, and managed to keep them sunburn-free. My daughter had her first (and last) sunburn at 17 when she went to the beach with friends and decided to get a tan, so only used an 8 level block. She was not a happy camper!

ETA my dad survived a melanoma, and so did my 20-yr old nephew, so I'm kind of a whacko about the topic. I also like to get vitamin d from the sun, so I have to work it carefully.

Hospitals across the UK say they have seen a rise in the number of severe sunburn cases among children,
including a 4 week baby, as Britain continues to bask in its longest heatwave for seven years.
Temps are expected to be as high as 35°C during the course of next week.

http://news.sky.com/story/1118210/heatwave-causing-rise-in-child-sunburn-cases

That's awful. :( That's 95°F! :eek:

We have the same problem here in SoCal because of the hot, dry weather we get much of the year. There are always heat warnings in place during the summer, with cooling centers around the Southland for residents to escape to. But we have miles of beaches which of course are popular during the summer, and I am concerned that parents don't do enough to protect their kids. :( And it's not just at the beaches where people walk around with a lot of skin exposed. This is L.A., after all.

Reactions: ledboots
Poor kids :(

We have one of the highest rates of skin cancer here and yet SPF50 has only recently become available. It scares me when I read facts like these -One blistering sunburn in childhood or adolescence more than doubles a person's chances of developing melanoma later in life. A person's risk for melanoma also doubles if he or she has had five or more sunburns at any age. I couldn't even begin to count the sunburns I had during my childhood. Which reminds me that I am way overdue for my skin check up!

At least it's just sunburn. Here in the States people are stupid enough to leave their kids in cars and bake them. Dogs too.

Who has a 4-week-old baby out in the sun?

Reactions: thefadedone
My daughter is obsessive when it comes to sunscreening her kids. I think she goes to the extreme, but it's better than letting her kids get sunburned.

My daughter is obsessive when it comes to sunscreening her kids. I think she goes to the extreme, but it's better than letting her kids get sunburned.
I was obsessive when my kids were young, too. For the Florida beach and blindingly white skin, only Bullfrog brand kept them free of burns. I usd to joke that I may as well buy stock in the company, I bought so much of their stuff with my 2 outdoor loving kids.

Reactions: KLS52
When I was 13, I got sunburn in Florida even though I was using (and reapplying) a high-factor sun block. The whole top half of my back turned into a giant yellow scab and I got sun stroke. I probably should've been taken to hospital, but my mum told me to "stop whining" when I showed her it... Ever since then, though, I've been suuuuper careful about putting sun block on me and anyone else around me.

When I was 13, I got sunburn in Florida even though I was using (and reapplying) a high-factor sun block. The whole top half of my back turned into a giant yellow scab and I got sun stroke. I probably should've been taken to hospital, but my mum told me to "stop whining" when I showed her it... Ever since then, though, I've been suuuuper careful about putting sun block on me and anyone else around me.
Oh you poor thing. I had one like that at 15, when my parents warned my sister and me about the strength of the florida sun. We were covered in blisters; I couldn't even bend or straighten my legs. Just about my whole body skin peeled off in the days ahead. I was vomiting and very sick. My mom said "your fault" and gave me some nivea lotion and a big soft t-shirt of my dad's.

I got terribly sunburnt in Hawaii. We were snorkelling, and I forgot to reapply sunblock. My back side was red and blistered from my neck to my ankles. I was vomiting that night. Of course, that was the day before our wedding. I was so tired, it was all I could do to get dressed and participate. I slept most of the day, and on the way there, and on the way back. Our wedding night was spent with me naked, face down on the bed, with Husband periodically putting cooling aloe gel on me. Sexy!
The next day we took a trip to a different island, and the plane and tour bus were SO rough and jostling, painnnnnn.

I had burn/tan lines on my back (where my bathing suit strap was) for almost a year after.

When I was 13, I got sunburn in Florida even though I was using (and reapplying) a high-factor sun block. The whole top half of my back turned into a giant yellow scab and I got sun stroke. I probably should've been taken to hospital, but my mum told me to "stop whining" when I showed her it...

Wow, so unsympathetic of her.:( I actually had second degree burns from the sun when I was younger and had to get treated in hospital and that was because I sat in the sun on a beach in the UK.

It's annoying as I think I was very self conscious about my pale skin as I have had so many comments throughout my life about being 'pasty' but now I am proud to be pale. One of my Mum's friends was one of the people who constantly made comments about me when I was younger and when I saw her a while back she has really deep wrinkles from sun damage *evil laugh*:oops::D

Reactions: thefadedone
My cousins used to nag me to apply the baby oil and lie in the sun with them, but I never liked just lying there baking. Is it bragging to say they were all amazed at my skin the last time I saw them and asked me what I did to make the wrinkles stay away. I just said it's what I did not do as a young woman. Plus since I turned 53ish and hit menopause, I do use this nice antiwrinkle serum and a face creme. And an eye serum and creme lol.

My cousins used to nag me to apply the baby oil and lie in the sun with them, but I never liked just lying there baking. Is it bragging to say they were all amazed at my skin the last time I saw them and asked me what I did to make the wrinkles stay away. I just said it's what I did not do as a young woman. Plus since I turned 53ish and hit menopause, I do use this nice antiwrinkle serum and a face creme. And an eye serum and creme lol.

You should just brag, ledboots. You deserve it. :)

I'm lucky I'm not easily burned. I've never been very careful, but never been very burned either, just little burns once in a while. I hate direct heat though, including the sun, so I tend to avoid being out in it for long, but sometimes it's unavoidable.