Brain fog

burgburgburg

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hello!

I am sure you long time vegans have dealt with this before, but I have tried vegan twice now for over 6 months per time. I tracked the macros and calories to make sure I was getting enough food, I got blood tests as well. Both times I ended up with massive brain fog, forgetting what is being said halfway during conversations and just no ability to focus. I really want to be a vegan, but my body seems to hate it. At present I eat meat 3x per week, and I eat butter every day. I don't enjoy the meat, but I have absolutely no brain fog and always have energy when I have higher fat in my diet. I got bloods just before going vegan and then after the last 6 month attempt, my cholesterol lowered but my troponin went above healthy range (linked to cardiac ischemia), and my liver tests went really high also.
Any veteran vegans seen similar issues before and know how to fix it, especially the brain fog because that seems to go away when fat is added back in.

Thanks for any advice!

Since I started eating more carbs my own 'brain fog' stopped. I used to have a horrible sleep pattern anyway so that might be it, but carbs are good for energy nonetheless.

Hello burgburgburg,

There are a couple of things worth mentioning. First, the Herxheimer reaction (look it up or do a search on the forums) which is basically the premise 'it gets worse before it gets better'. This isn't pseudoscience - when you transition your cells have the opportunity to release the toxins they've been holding in a bid to neutralise the negative effects of eating acidic foods and hormones. It's called lymphatic drainage.

Secondly, animal products are literally addictive. Seriously, they contain natural dopamines (especially cheese but other animal products as well). So transitioning vegans often also experience withdrawal - a chemical imbalance in the brain, less often as headaches, or 'brain fog'.

It's interesting what you say about the troponin, though, can you tell us some more? I haven't heard that before. Mostly because higher troponin levels have been linked with higher B12 levels, and vegans almost never have high B12 levels.

If it's really fats that seem to help, have you tried eating more seeds, nuts, coconut and avocado? Avocado is pretty much 100% 'fruit fat'. It's interesting that you say that the fats help, however, because normally it's carbs that help brain function due to the sugar. That's why vegetarian diets are often prescribed to those with depression.

Out of interest, how long have you kept a 100% vegan diet before you broke it? I wonder if you gave yourself enough time to adjust?

Reactions: sharla86
I have had brain fog pretty much for the last 7 years. Recently over the last year or so it has got a bit worse, but recently i had a blood test for Vit D and I'm deficient, so hopefully it's mainly to do with that