Brain damage from reading someone's post?

Do you feel like your mind sometimes gets damaged by what people say, or write?

• yes, sometimes

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • no

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • other

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
Someone's post, or comment, or article, somewhere online on in a newspaper etc.

Does it feel like part of your mind has temporarily died from reading what someone has written?

I get that, and I wondered if other people get that. I know some people 'joke'/joke about their braincells having died.

Take for example when I read someone says eg 'god doesn't exist, FACT'.

It isn't a fact, as you can't know for sure that God doesn't exist, and it feels like a sort of denial, or repression...like if a secretly gay man is asked if they are gay, they might say 'NO!'......

That is one example of what might give me what feels like mind damage.

Also memes that twist assumptions and mess around with the mind, trying to impose a view which is counter to your own.

Or simply an idea, an analogy, that twists things up to meet their view of things, but is perhaps incorrect, or at least counter to your world view..

When part of my mind feels like it as been damage, it feels a bit numb, or maybe I get a whistling sound..

Anyone else get anything like that?

Maybe someone will say this post has damaged their brain........my brain, or mind usually recovers anyway.

Reactions: ledboots
Mostly on Facebook. I've unfollowed about 3/4 of my friends list.

Reactions: ledboots
Yes I'll agree that it's mostly on facebook for me too. I had to delete a few people because it was so unbelievable what they would post. One of my favourites was something like "don't tell me to calm down when I'm mad."

Uhhh you know what, if they are telling you to calm down, it is not because you are mad, it is because you are being unreasonable and/or yelling.

If someone shaved a monkey and taught it to type out what it thinks everyone would find that cool.

When nature provides us with a pre-shaven monkey that can type out what it thinks no one seems to like that though.

The trick to avoiding brain damage would appear to lay within finding great compassion for monkeys who, through no fault of their own, have to suffer the frustration of having been born in human form.

Last edited:
We had this magazine for men in Norway a little while called FHM. And for every page you turned, your IQ level droped by one...

But once in a while, I want to poke out my eyes after reading some post. Getting to know things I really don't have to know. :p

Reactions: Mischief
I couldn't be on Facebook as it would annoy me too much. I went on there a little while ago as my husband has an account and all I could see were people mindlessly posting Je Suis Charlie and it made me want to punch someone.:oops:

I find the things that hurt the most are comments that are just so insensitive about subjects like animals dying, rape, child abuse, especially online as I doubt most people would ever make jokes about subjects like that in real life. I read something today that was meant to be funny about people eating their family pet (I won't repeat it here) and it made me feel so ill.

Reactions: Mark Mywordz
I likely would have a dent in my forehead from the many facepalms I'd suffer if I read too many of those brain-damaging posts. I, too, have "unfriended" a few friends because of their mean-spirited, hurtful, ignorant and anger-inducing FB posts.

I've also unfriended and blocked a few people, on Facebook and in real life. I couldn't remain friends with them after seeing what hateful, ignorant people they had become.

Reactions: Poppy
I don't think I've ever blocked or unfriended anyone for their posts. Honestly, it almost amuses me seeing some dumb **** spelled out in an even dumber way. Call it masochism, if you will.

Nearly all of my FB friends are fellow vegans.
The other - non-vegan- ones - luckily - have so far not posted much things I would consider offensive. Guess I am lucky.

This does not mean, however, that I do not - very often - see things on the internet that tax the robustness of my brain.
Mainly when I read some articles on veganism and do not follow the cardinal rule "never read the comments".

So I voted "other" as my brain is quite robust, but I sometimes read stuff on the internet that might be dangerous to my sanity otherwise.

Nearly all of my FB friends are fellow vegans.
The other - non-vegan- ones - luckily - have so far not posted much things I would consider offensive. Guess I am lucky.

UPDATE.... the recent refugees debate in Germany has helped me to weed out about 1/4 of my facebook "friends".
Most of them "vegans" who think it is great to help animals but who would rather let refugees drown in the sea :mad:

The thought of our next potential president here in the U.S. damages my brain lol.

And sometimes I feel dumb at the end of the day, after reading sixty or more surgical operative reports and anesthesia notes to code at work, and then calculating chemotherapy dosages to bill and code for the rest of the day at work, and trying to figure out the technical nuances of how all this information is coming across in our electronic system because so much of it is screwed up. I come home exhausted and then read all these intellectual posts and arguments on forums and my brain is numb and I can't put two sentences together by then and I am just in awe of the deep thoughts people can rattle off lol. Mornings are better, but I don't think my brain is getting any fitter.

I couldn't be on Facebook as it would annoy me too much. I went on there a little while ago as my husband has an account and all I could see were people mindlessly posting Je Suis Charlie and it made me want to punch someone.:oops:

I find the things that hurt the most are comments that are just so insensitive about subjects like animals dying, rape, child abuse, especially online as I doubt most people would ever make jokes about subjects like that in real life. I read something today that was meant to be funny about people eating their family pet (I won't repeat it here) and it made me feel so ill.

It's already buried and in the past.

I wonder sometimes, whether the world was a better place pre FB ?