Blu Ray DVD Query

The answer is no. You can only play a BR disc on a BR player, and you need a high def TV to hook it up to. However, you CAN watch regular DVDs on a BR player. I've read that even though DVDs don't come close to the picture quality of a BR disc, viewing them on a BR player is still a great experience. I don't have a BR player or HD TV. That's one of my big goals for next year.

I think blue ray discs are higher density, which is why they need a smaller wavelengh laser to read them(blue), which an ordinary DVD player couldn't do.....I think that is right....I think a DVD player has a red laser which is a longer frequency than blue.

The answer is no. You can only play a BR disc on a BR player, and you need a high def TV to hook it up to. However, you CAN watch regular DVDs on a BR player. I've read that even though DVDs don't come close to the picture quality of a BR disc, viewing them on a BR player is still a great experience. I don't have a BR player or HD TV. That's one of my big goals for next year.

Thanks ! I nearly bought a blu ray dvd for a standard player. As it is a set of 6 discs of the film Planet Earth, it would have been a shame to waste so much money !

I think blue ray discs are higher density, which is why they need a smaller wavelengh laser to read them(blue), which an ordinary DVD player couldn't do.....I think that is right....I think a DVD player has a red laser which is a longer frequency than blue.

You always learn something new on VV's ! Thanx !

51QXDYFQF7L._SY445_.jpg

This is a truly amazing and breathtaking film.

shyvas, if you can get a good deal on a HDTV set and a BR player, you can get that BR set of Planet Earth. Right now is a good time to look for a such a deal because of the holidays.

:)
shyvas, if you can get a good deal on a HDTV set and a BR player, you can get that BR set of Planet Earth. Right now is a good time to look for a such a deal because of the holidays.

Amy, it is not for myself but for someone in the UK. I am buying them a dvd of Planet Earth and they don't have a Blu Ray player.

:)

Amy, it is not for myself but for someone in the UK. I am buying them a dvd of Planet Earth and they don't have a Blu Ray player.

Oh, then you would definitely want to buy them the standard DVD set.

And now I have to look into renting this Planet Earth thing so I can watch it myself. You've piqued my curiosity. :p

Oh, then you would definitely want to buy them the standard DVD set.

And now I have to look into renting this Planet Earth thing so I can watch it myself. You've piqued my curiosity. :p

I'm going to order two sets as gifts. This is a garanteed winner for a gift.

I saw Planet Earth on the big screen when it first came out. All that I can say that I didn't budge from my seat during the seance and I was captivated by the extraordinary beauty of the scenes. Look up the reviews on amazon and you'll get all the feedback.
It took the BBC 5 years & a budget of $25 million using 40 cameramen filming across 200 locations shot entirely in HD!

Last edited:
I'm going to order two sets as gifts. This is a garanteed winner for a gift.

I saw Planet Earth on the big screen when it first came out. All that I can say that I didn't budge from my seat during the seance and I was captivated by the extraordinary beauty of the scenes. Look up the reviews on amazon and you'll get all the feedback.
It took the BBC 5 years & a budget of $25 million using 40 cameramen filming across 200 locations shot entirely in HD!

There's a seance? Is that to contact dead dinosaurs? :p

Not entirely on topic, something about comparitive picture quality that amused me greatly ....

We used to have a lot of ads on TV that would show us, on our existing TV, how much better the picture on the 'ACME Gogglebox 2000', or whatever the new TV was.

The amount of people who did a kinda "Wow! I wish the TV I am watching this ad on could show a picture that good" was absolutely amazing.

I just checked my cabinet ..

Turns out that I actualy have the DVD box set of Planet Earth myself.

Had completely forgotten how totaly unforgetable it was.

Seriously anyone wh0 hasn't got a copy of that should get one. It's amazing.

Another amazing thing is that the whole series cost less to make than it costs to pay off the average 'sacked for gross incompetence' BBC director.

I just checked my cabinet ..

Turns out that I actualy have the DVD box set of Planet Earth myself.

Had completely forgotten how totaly unforgetable it was.

Seriously anyone wh0 hasn't got a copy of that should get one. It's amazing.

Another amazing thing is that the whole series cost less to make than it costs to pay off the average 'sacked for gross incompetence' BBC director.

I agree and think it is THE documentary of the centuary. For as little as £8 you can get a lucky person
a fabulous gift.