Black Friday

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
black-friday-survival.jpg

It is the busiest shopping day of the year or the start of the Christmas shopping season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

It seems to have caught on in Europe, as I've receive e mails from John Lewis and even French on-line merchants who are offering huge discounts today.

black-friday-survival.jpg

It is the busiest shopping day of the year or the start of the Christmas shopping season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

It seems to have caught on in Europe, as I've receive e mails from John Lewis and even French on-line merchants who are offering huge discounts today.
Oh no I'm sorry about exporting Black Friday. It's a horrible blend of greed disguised as "giving."

That said, I did take advantage of free shipping and 20% off Black Friday :D to get my son a heavy bag punching bag. (He does martial arts.)

I desperately need a nice pair of black pants to wear on Saturday to our Chanukah celebration at my sister's house. That means going out on Black Friday and dealing with traffic and crowds. It's scary. I can always shop online and do overnight shipping, but that costs a fortune for the shipping, doesn't guarantee I'll get it in time anyway, and I'd rather go shopping for clothes in person so I'll know how they fit. And besides, I don't know if any website will ship on a Saturday. So it's heigh ho heigh ho it's off to shop I go. Blah.

Last edited:
I understand the appeal of shopping on Black Friday, except for the standing outside for hours or days part. That I will never comprehend. No material object is worth standing out in the freezing cold for hours for. I am all for getting bargains and sales, but waiting 12 hours in the dark cold snowy weather for something is nuts imo.

I've been needing a new computer for awhile now and my daughter is bugging me to get one today. I have no problem with shopping online. There are some good deals out there but I still can't afford the kind of computer I really want so I feel like it's a waste to get a lesser one if I'm not going to be happy with it. I think I'd rather wait and hope that maybe I can get something a little better in the future.

Last edited:
I've been needing a new computer for awhile now and my daughter is bugging me to get one today. I have no problem with shopping online. There are some good deals out there but I still can't afford the kind of computer I really want so I feel like it's a waste to get a lesser one if I'm not going to be happy with it. I think I'd rather wait and hope that maybe I can get something a little better in the future.
What kind do you want? There are some good deals out there.

^LOL. That is exactly what it looks like. Tears swelled up in my eyes the first year I worked retail on Black Friday. Seeing that crowd pounding on the doors like that scared the **** outta me. I knew that the second those doors were unlocked that crazy crowd would be storming right towards me.:hide:

Walmart on Black Friday: Scenes from the apocalypse

I didn't watch the videos, but I read the tweets. And lolled. :p

I saw the scene on CBS news this morning where a person was using a taser on another shopper !
^LOL. That is exactly what it looks like. Tears swelled up in my eyes the first year I worked retail on Black Friday. Seeing that crowd pounding on the doors like that scared the **** outta me. I knew that the second those doors were unlocked that crazy crowd would be storming right towards me.:hide:

That must be frightening even though they were looking at the bargains an not the sa ! Shoplifters must thrive during Black Friday sales as it must be impossible to spot them stealing !

That zombie picture is hilarious.:rofl:

Tears swelled up in my eyes the first year I worked retail on Black Friday. Seeing that crowd pounding on the doors like that scared the **** outta me. I knew that the second those doors were unlocked that crazy crowd would be storming right towards me.:hide:

I cannot believe people act that way just to buy stuff.:fp:

:DSome US retail analysts say, that that the biggest shopping day of this year was on Thanksgiving.

The latest trend has now a name ; Grey Thursday.

My daughter had a terrible experience in the mall she works in yesterday. She sells expensive sunglasses, and had a group of about 8 young men come in and surround her, yelling stuff, while others were going to steal. (You can put $10,000 worth of glasses in your pocket in a minute there.) Luckily one of her friends from Macys, a tall guy, came running in, and another employee called security.

My daughter was really shaken up; she's worked there almost 2 years and doesn't want to even go back. The group was from another country (the mall is close to the international airport, so they often get shoppers from overseas) and not being able to understand some of what they said was very unsettling. What they did say in English was shocking, very sexually violent. :(

They didn't steal anything and weren't caught, but security has them on video (really reassuring).

My daughter had a terrible experience in the mall she works in yesterday. She sells expensive sunglasses, and had a group of about 8 young men come in and surround her, yelling stuff, while others were going to steal. (You can put $10,000 worth of glasses in your pocket in a minute there.) Luckily one of her friends from Macys, a tall guy, came running in, and another employee called security.

My daughter was really shaken up; she's worked there almost 2 years and doesn't want to even go back. The group was from another country (the mall is close to the international airport, so they often get shoppers from overseas) and not being able to understand some of what they said was very unsettling. What they did say in English was shocking, very sexually violent. :(

They didn't steal anything and weren't caught, but security has them on video (really reassuring).

Poor girl. This just makes me shudder when men are threatening or violent towards women.

I also had a bad experience yesterday so can relate.

Reactions: ledboots

What the hell. It shows how shallow the veneer of civilisation can be.

Reactions: ledboots