Birthdays of the Dead

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I am not talking about birthdays of celebrities like John Lennon or David Bowie. I am talking about the birthdays of relatives and close friends.

Yesterday would have been my nephew's 28th birthday. However, he died in a terrible car crash several years ago. (No, he was not the driver.)

Today would be the birthday of my friend Gabrielle, the best vegan chef in Nashville and a wonderful person whom I loved. She died of pancreatic cancer several years ago.

I am very sad this weekend. I wonder how you all cope with similar events.

I am not talking about birthdays of celebrities like John Lennon or David Bowie. I am talking about the birthdays of relatives and close friends.

Yesterday would have been my nephew's 28th birthday. However, he died in a terrible car crash several years ago. (No, he was not the driver.)

Today would be the birthday of my friend Gabrielle, the best vegan chef in Nashville and a wonderful person whom I loved. She died of pancreatic cancer several years ago.

I am very sad this weekend. I wonder how you all cope with similar events.
:hug:

Remembering is good, especially try to remember happy times, the good memories. The best way to pay tribute is to keep their memories alive.

And let yourself feel the sadness. That's, ok, too.

I don't know, I'm a person who just accepts reality. My mother died on a Sunday. I was off from work. I went to work Tuesday and didn't say anything to anyone. That's just how I handle things. I figure no one at work needed to know or would really care, so why say anything.

Sorry you are sad though.

This month I was sort of remembering my maternal grandmother, whose birthday is in February. (I've been thinking a lot about her over the past few years). I also remembered my parents, as their wedding anniversary was this month also. I visited their graves, remembered the good times, treasured some things I have that belonged to them or that they gave me, and considered that their genes are a big part of what I am.

It hurts to a degree, but I think remembering those we've lost makes me feel better. But I'm sorry you're feeling sad... I don't know what to do about it. I'm weird about death, anyway. I tend to turn to stone and not feel anything at first, and then later it hits me hard.

I was born on my dad's birthday, and we were very close. It was so great sharing a birthday until the one after he died. :(

I intentionally kind of mentally blur out the dates of the deaths of people in my mind. Even the year, I try to not be certain which year my loved ones died.