Bird Friends - Who is visiting your bird feeder?

Mikkel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Since we live in different places of the world, it may happen we have different birds visiting our bird feeders. So who is visiting your bird feeders?

Cardinals:

3023016d9eb7f9fbb235cd17fe8b9429.jpg

Red wing blackbirds:

Red-winged-Blackbird-007-cr.jpg

These guys are favorites of mine since childhood. Some have the yellow stripe, some don't. Some have the red on just one wing instead of both.

I love birds and I love feeding them.

I have two pair of cardinals that come around a lot. We get chickadees, house finches, starlings, titmice, bluejays, nuthatches, sparrows, and an occasional bluebird if I put out the dried mealworms.

We also see lots of mourning doves and an occasional flicker.

Reactions: Mikkel and Mischief
We have cardinals, blue jays, chickadees, English sparrows, house finches, Carolina wrens, robins, doves and woodpeckers regularly. Seasonally, we have goldfinches, catbirds, grackles, bluebirds, towhees and hummingbirds. I love them all.

I always have sunflower chips, safflower seeds and peanut splits out. I sometimes put out corn for the squirrels, although these city squirrels don't really like corn. I don't do suet. And I really don't do meal worms - although I have a stash in the freezer should I come across an injured bird.

We have a fully accessible tray feeder that we always keep filled with shelled peanuts. The squirrels and chipmunks love it and it keeps them out of my feeders. The jays and woodpeckers enjoy the peanuts as well.

There is a cardinal "couple" that come to my little tree in front of my window. The male has also been seen bathing in the bird bath! There are lots of birds here, I see lots of vultures who do their rather creepy job well. Not a pretty bird but serve their purpose. We also have hawks, many varieties of water fowl, and eagles. One of my favorites is the sand hill crane which is a regal bird with no fear.
The only ones that have come to my tree are the cardinals though. I did see a hummingbird once!

Today we got a visit from a Blackbird female. :) I haven't seen her before here, but there is a male often in the end of the garden.

I'm going to fix the plastic bowl. Drill a couple of holes in it, so it won't be taken by the wind. And give the blackbirds something to eat from it. It looks like they perhaps are a bit too big to hang on the feeder, so she ate from all the other things the tits messes around.

I read about the Blackbirds and they want to eat from the ground. And like apples.

So the bowl can be a water bowl. They can perhaps get some water from it before it freezes.

Have had five blue tits and two great tits. The bossy blue one have been here the most.

Reactions: Mischief and Amy SF
We have a large bird of prey who has been lurking on and off for months, hoping for a try at the chuckens and ducks. He also positions himself to try for the birds and squirrels who come to the feeders.

My sister chases him off whenever she sees him. I know he has to make a living, but we don't want it to be by killing animals for whom we are responsible.

Fist time visit of three Snow Bunting today. They are really pretty!

standard_snow_bunting_5699_pho.jpg
Oh, I love him! I've never seen a picture of a snow bunting.

Ha! I didn't read KLS54's post before I posted. How funny that we had the same reaction!

Reactions: Val
The big woodpecker was back today. He's really pretty!

My magpies was a bit angry yesterday, that they are too big to be on the bird feeder. I need to get them some food too, they have a nest in the apple tree here and live all year long in our garden.

I have put out the plastic bowl now with seeds, so they hopefully do not make so much mess. They get really picky and spoiled when the temperature is about 0 C.

My favorite small bird is Bullfinch (the males). But they aren't here i live. They used to be in Oslo when I was a kid, but it's been years since I saw one last time. They are called Dompap in Norwegian, and there even is a song you sing "You and me and the Dompap" :p

Reactions: Mischief and KLS52
The big woodpecker was back today. He's really pretty!

My magpies was a bit angry yesterday, that they are too big to be on the bird feeder. I need to get them some food too, they have a nest in the apple tree here and live all year long in our garden.

I have put out the plastic bowl now with seeds, so they hopefully do not make so much mess. They get really picky and spoiled when the temperature is about 0 C.

My favorite small bird is Bullfinch (the males). But they aren't here i live. They used to be in Oslo when I was a kid, but it's been years since I saw one last time. They are called Dompap in Norwegian, and there even is a song you sing "You and me and the Dompap" :p

All of our woodpecker species are some combination of white and black feathering, with most having a touch of brilliant red. Is that also the case with your woodpeckers in Norway?

All of our woodpecker species are some combination of white and black feathering, with most having a touch of brilliant red. Is that also the case with your woodpeckers in Norway?

Most of them are. We have seven different woodpeckers here, and only one doens't have red color on their head. One is black with read on the head, and one is green. The last one is black and white with green color on the head. :)