Announcement Big news - a new era begins soon!

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello everyone!

I've got some big news. You may have to make sure you're sitting down comfortably and with your seatbelts fastened before you read on!

For some time I've been looking at ways of growing our community, and now I've hopefully made some progress. As we know from the business world, there are more than one way to grow a company: 1) You can somehow attract more customers - this is the traditional approach. 2) You can also acquire another company and merge with it. 3) Or your company can be acquired by another company and merged with that.

Well, the world of Internet forums is similar to this, and I'm going with the second option! Over the coming months, I'll be taking over the ownership of veganforum.org. (Note: it's .org, not .com!) This is an active and well-managed forum with a very nice layout and also, probably much because of the to-the-point domain name, they get a lot of traffic and new members signing up.

As for details about the merger, this is how I think it will work at this early point in the planning:
  • We'll change to use veganforum.org as our domain name.
  • All member accounts will be kept, as far as is possible. If there are conflicts (same username with different email addresses on the two forums), we'll have to look into each individual case ...
  • Moderators will be kept.
  • All threads, posts, attachments, links and so forth will be kept.
  • The forum layout, such as names and order of forums, will have to change.
  • We'll probably (probably!) continue our ad-free "business model", and I will try to think of perks for those who are enrolled as Contributing Members.
  • It'll probably take at least a month before I do the actual merger.
  • You'll all make a lot of new friends :)
I do realise that many of us have probably grown attached to the Veggie Views "brand" and how things are done around here, and will therefore not immediately be excited about such a big change. So I must stress that I'm doing this for the greater good of the community. Unfortunately VV doesn't get as much traffic and new members these days due to larger changes on the Internet and the influence of social media, and as it's only natural that some members leave a community after some time, this means activity here will drop over time. However, with the merger of VV and VF, I think we can turn this around. We have a really unique and incredible community here on VV - we have members who know each other, dare I say friendships, that go back more than a decade in some cases. I think this is actually somewhat unique and something we should try to continue fostering under the new brand/name.

I think that covers most of what I wanted to say at this point, but as always, please do not hesitate to let me hear any questions and thoughts you'd like to share ...!

Reactions: TofuRobot and Val
I’m not one who does well with change so it makes me nervous but nothing ventured nothing gained. It does sound like a good plan so fingers crossed and I hope it goes well!

I'm quite excited about this. I think it's a great idea and as much as I have grown comfortable with my friends here, I'm looking forward to meeting new people. Into the future........!:D

Reactions: Val
What are the vegetarians on here supposed to do? Presumably they shouldn't be allowed to join a forum called Vegan Forum or are you changing the forum name?

At first, I thought you were merging with Korn's "Vegan Forum", which I belonged to (briefly) quite some time ago- But I think that one was "*.com".

I'll roll with it, either way, but I'm not vegan (not yet, anyway- although for about 2 decades my dairy and egg consumption has been MUCH less than it was when I first went veg, and I still use leather shoes sometimes). So, like @Moll Flanders , I'm wondering if vegetarians can stay? (I'd be OK with vegans prodding me to make the jump to veganism 👮‍♀️👮‍♂️ , so that wouldn't keep me from staying).

Reactions: Andy_T
What are the vegetarians on here supposed to do? Presumably they shouldn't be allowed to join a forum called Vegan Forum or are you changing the forum name?
Everyone can stay. We'll keep the rule #1 we have here, i.e. it's open to everyone, including vegetarians. I might even keep the Vegetarian (sub-)Forum (because for many vegans, vegetarianism was a stepping stone). It'll be a "broad church", don't worry about the name. But we'll be promoting a vegan lifestyle, as discussed in the thread about the new rule #1.

Reactions: Val and Brian W
  • The forum layout, such as names and order of forums, will have to change.
What will it look like? I’ve JUST gotten used to the way it looks now. :bang: Will it look like the other forum? Will we get a sneak peek or should we just go look at the other forum to see how it will look?

Both excited and apprehensive...we've become such a close knit group :hugs:!
It kinda sounds like veganforums.org will be more of the model? Or will both be treated equally in respect to changes?
I think VB is causing distress...certainly for me....:dismay:

I don't think it would work, though, being called Vegan Forum but having anyone (even meat-eaters?) on there? If there is a what did you buy today thread, are the vegetarians allowed to post that they bought eggs or dairy at the store that day? Wouldn't that give a mixed message about what being vegan is to people reading it?

I have looked at the new Vegan Forum a couple of times and it is a lot quieter than the old Vegan forum as that was quite lively at one point. The thing I liked about that forum and the other vegan forums was that they were a safe space for vegans.

It's not something I would be interested in anyway so I will probably close my account here. It's a shame really as I do like a lot of the people on here.

Aww, definitely the end of an era! It is quite sad really but I do agree something did need to be done about attracting members. So many great people left/leave & noone new shows up & sticks around. Sometimes it can get a bit boring & quiet.

However I do have a question regarding my previous posts. I've posted pictures here of my son & have since had second thoughts about this. I guess it felt quite safe in this small close community although obviously any member of the public can join & see so that's a bit silly. Now that the new forum/members will be able to see I feel even more uncomfortable about it. Is there any way I can delete these posts? I dont seem to be able to edit? (I tried previously when first having second thoughts.)

At first, I thought you were merging with Korn's "Vegan Forum", which I belonged to (briefly) quite some time ago- But I think that one was "*.com".
Yes, that was veganforum.com.
I don't think it would work, though, being called Vegan Forum but having anyone (even meat-eaters?) on there?
Allowing meat-eater members is a discussion we've already had here on VV, and as a consequence we now allow everyone to sign up. So I feel that this aspect won't really be very different with a new domain name.
If there is a what did you buy today thread, are the vegetarians allowed to post that they bought eggs or dairy at the store that day? Wouldn't that give a mixed message about what being vegan is to people reading it?
I haven't decided on the details for this yet, but I'm thinking that posts about non-vegan vegetarian foods would be OK in a dedicated vegetarian sub-forum. We should probably make that a non-public forum, so as to cause less confusion. (To reduce chances of confusion even further, we'll probably also display each member's "lifestyle type" on their member card.) We have many 'what did you eat/buy' style threads here on VV, and it hasn't really been an issue as non-vegan foods are rarely talked about.
I have looked at the new Vegan Forum a couple of times and it is a lot quieter than the old Vegan forum as that was quite lively at one point. The thing I liked about that forum and the other vegan forums was that they were a safe space for vegans.
The times they are a-changing - Internet forums in general are quieter now than in their heyday, but they're obviously still serving a purpose and filling a niche. VV and VF is/will be promoting veganism, and as such I feel it will be a safe space. We won't allow meatarians to come and talk about the merits of meat or any such thing.

Reactions: Val
Aww, definitely the end of an era!
I prefer to think of it as the beginning of a new era :)
Is there any way I can delete these posts? I dont seem to be able to edit? (I tried previously when first having second thoughts.)
Yes, please report each of the posts, and specify what you'd like to us to do - delete the whole post or just delete the images. (Unfortunately, we had to set a time limit on editing old post.) I've been quite careful with posting pictures of little miss Summer on here and elsewhere for similar reasons, so I totally see your point.
Both excited and apprehensive...we've become such a close knit group :hugs:!
It kinda sounds like veganforums.org will be more of the model? Or will both be treated equally in respect to changes?
I think VB is causing distress...certainly for me....:dismay:
I do like a lot about VF, but there's also a lot from here that we'll keep, I hope. I aim to try and make it a somewhat even mix.

I think VB had a few exceptionally difficult members and associated turbulent episodes. I don't really see any particular reason why we would have a repeat of that.

Aww, definitely the end of an era! It is quite sad really but I do agree something did need to be done about attracting members. So many great people left/leave & noone new shows up & sticks around. Sometimes it can get a bit boring & quiet.

However I do have a question regarding my previous posts. I've posted pictures here of my son & have since had second thoughts about this. I guess it felt quite safe in this small close community although obviously any member of the public can join & see so that's a bit silly. Now that the new forum/members will be able to see I feel even more uncomfortable about it. Is there any way I can delete these posts? I dont seem to be able to edit? (I tried previously when first having second thoughts.)

Yes, I have almost posted pictures of myself on here a few times but always had a nagging suspicion about the ethics of the mod at the back of my mind. I'm very glad I didn't post any pics on here if it would be shared on a different forum that I didn't even join!

Yes, that was veganforum.com.

Allowing meat-eater members is a discussion we've already had here on VV, and as a consequence we now allow everyone to sign up. So I feel that this aspect won't really be very different with a new domain name.

I haven't decided on the details for this yet, but I'm thinking that posts about non-vegan vegetarian foods would be OK in a dedicated vegetarian sub-forum. We should probably make that a non-public forum, so as to cause less confusion. (To reduce chances of confusion even further, we'll probably also display each member's "lifestyle type" on their member card.) We have many 'what did you eat/buy' style threads here on VV, and it hasn't really been an issue as non-vegan foods are rarely talked about.

The times they are a-changing - Internet forums in general are quieter now than in their heyday, but they're obviously still serving a purpose and filling a niche. VV and VF is/will be promoting veganism, and as such I feel it will be a safe space. We won't allow meatarians to come and talk about the merits of meat or any such thing.

It shouldn't be called Vegan Forum then. Why not just say Vegan and Vegetarian forum?

I'm actually going to contact The Vegan Society about this as I don't think you can hijack the vegan label in this way.

I just signed up. I want to check it out. I’m still Me only I added an extra 52 by mistake lol. KLS5252 :fp:

Reactions: Second Summer
Yes, I have almost posted pictures of myself on here a few times but always had a nagging suspicion about the ethics of the mod at the back of my mind. I'm very glad I didn't post any pics on here if it would be shared on a different forum that I didn't even join!
I'm sorry you feel that way. As the owner of the website and admin of the forum, I feel I have both a legal and a moral right to take necessary steps to ensure the community continues to thrive, including moving to a new domain name and merging with another forum. But if you don't want to be part of that, then we can of course close your account. Just let us know.
It shouldn't be called Vegan Forum then. Why not just say Vegan and Vegetarian forum?
Because it isn't. Just like VV isn't.
I'm actually going to contact The Vegan Society about this as I don't think you can hijack the vegan label in this way.
Maybe try calling the vegan police while you're at it? ;)

I don't even understand what that means. Veggieviews wasn't meant to be a forum for both vegans and vegetarians?
See discussion at Draft for new rule #1 and Rules & Terms. For a long time it was only for vegans, vegetarians and those transitioning, but now it's a vegan lifestyle forum for everyone interested (within reason ... see the rules).