Best Vegan Banana Bread Recipe

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
My freezer is just too full. I discovered in the back dozens of frozen bananas. *

I made this recipe today and it was pretty good but not as healthy as possible.

Anyone got one that they can recommend?

* I only buy 2 or 3 bananas at a time and usually I eat them in time. when they get overripe I peel them and stick them in the back of my freezer. I thought I was doing a good job using the frozen ones for smoothies. but I guess not. So now its Bananananana Bread Time

• 👍
Reactions: TofuRobot and kelli

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
My freezer is just too full. I discovered in the back dozens of frozen bananas. *

* I only buy 2 or 3 bananas at a time and usually I eat them in time. when they get overripe I peel them and stick them in the back of my freezer. I thought I was doing a good job using the frozen ones for smoothies. but I guess not. So now its Bananananana Bread Time
What do you mean when saying 'not as healthy as possible' ? :)

• 👍
Reactions: Lou

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
The recipe has 1/3 cup granualated sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup canola oil, and 2 cups of all purpose flour.

I thought maybe there could be a healthier recipe.

I hardly ever bake. BTW this came out pretty good.

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
The recipe has 1/3 cup granualated sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup canola oil, and 2 cups of all purpose flour.

You could replace some of the sugar with a natural sweetener plus agave syrup. Cold pressed canola/rapeseed oil is healthy but you could also substitute half of it with yogurt and or apple puree. Use organic 50 % wholewheat flour (one cup) and and one cup of ground almonds.

I never use sugar and white flour when baking. :)

• 👍
Reactions: kelli

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
You could replace some of the sugar with a natural sweetener plus agave syrup. Cold pressed canola/rapeseed oil is healthy but you could also substitute half of it with yogurt and or apple puree. Use organic 50 % wholewheat flour (one cup) and and one cup of ground almonds.

I never use sugar and white flour when baking. :)
thanks

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan

Maple syrup makes a good replacement for sugar, and I've actually used apple sauce for years as a sub for oil.

I've actually got a box of Pumpkin Bread mix from Trader Joe's that I'm going to make up with applesauce instead of the oil and use flax & water for the eggs. Can't take the sugar out of it but it's mostly going to be for the kid anyway ;)

• 😍
  • 👍
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
Maple syrup makes a good replacement for sugar, and I've actually used apple sauce for years as a sub for oil.

I've actually got a box of Pumpkin Bread mix from Trader Joe's that I'm going to make up with applesauce instead of the oil and use flax & water for the eggs. Can't take the sugar out of it but it's mostly going to be for the kid anyway ;)
Really tasty but not very healthy (same goes for Agave) in large amounts. :)

• 👍
Reactions: Lou

Emma JC

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan

I'm with @TofuRobot - never bake with oil anymore I just sub in apple sauce which I buy in the multi pack so that I only have to open one at a time and the rest can sit for as long as it takes.

As the applesauce is sweet you really don't need as much sugar and the bananas are sweet too, no? I wouldn't put the sugar on the top and I would whiz up oats for the at least half of the flour if not all.

Also Caitlin Shoemaker has a short youtube video - I have not made it but it looks healthier. Linked below.

Emma JC

KLS52

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian

On the rare occasion that I make a baked treat, you can bet I’m adding sugar and oil. This recipe sounds perfect to me. Reducing sugar and subbing whole wheat flour for white is not my thing. I’d just as soon opt for a piece of fruit. If I’m having a treat I don’t need it to be healthy lol.

• 👍
Reactions: kelli and Lou

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
On the rare occasion that I make a baked treat, you can bet I’m adding sugar and oil. This recipe sounds perfect to me. Reducing sugar and subbing whole wheat flour for white is not my thing. I’d just as soon opt for a piece of fruit. If I’m having a treat I don’t need it to be healthy lol.
I actually prefer wholewheat and/or other blends of flour compared to white. :) :D I always add fat/oil when making a bake as I don't find that oil free bakes taste very good.👍

KLS52

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
Yes, I am definitely not an aspiring health vegan. I’m strictly in it for the animals. And being a sugar addict doesn’t help. But with the exception of the iffy cholesterol (still waiting on the results) my lab results are always stellar. And I am within the normal weight range for my age and height. So I think I’m doing ok. It’s the whole moderation thing. I’m lucky to have decent self control 😊

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
This just popped up in my news feed.

I don't think I'm going to make it this week. But it looks delicious.

KLS52

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
This is from Veggieboards...it’s phenomenal and not healthy, lol.

Ingredients:
------------------------------------------------------

3 very ripe bananas
3/4 cup brown sugar or maple syrup(sweetener of choice)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour(whole wheat or white, I used a mix)
1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon

Instructions:
------------------------------------------------------

Preheat oven to 350 F
Mash the bananas very well. Mix in the sugar, baking soda, vinegar, cinnamon, and salt. Fold in flour and 3/4 cup of the chopped walnuts. The batter will be pretty thick. Pour batter into a greased 8x8 pan and spread evenly.
In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients: walnuts, brown sugar, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Evenly top the batter and firmly press the nut mixture into it. Bake for about 30 minutes.

• 👍
Reactions: Qwaychou and Lou