Best Plant Based Supplement

iamPurebred

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What is the best plant based supplement out there. I am a label reader and know pea protein is the cheapest. My friend keeps telling me that Purebred Nutrition has continued to win award after award but they only sell on their website www.iampurebred.com - should I give it a try?

When I first became interested in becoming vegan, I looked into protein supplements. The ones I first looked into were not soy-based. Even back then I got a lot of my protein from soy milk and tofu and thought it best to have more variety. But most of the ones I tried tasted petty awful. I still remember actually throwing out a cannister of rice-based protein powder cause it literally ruined the taste of my morning smoothies.

as I became more knowledgable I determined that (for me) a supplement wasn't just necessary. There were better tasting whole foods I could add to my smoothie. Peanut butter is my usual but I have also used oatmeal and tofu.

I think my main issue with protein powders is that they use isolates and concentrates and there is no evidence that those are as good as the real things. Plus they tend to have lots of additives.

My first suggestion to you is to use CronOmeter to calculate your protein intake. Cronometer is pretty good at figuring out your protein requirements - they are probably less than you think. If you are not hitting the targets almost all the time than I would recommend you add more protein-rich foods to your diet. Like tofu, black beans, lentils, peas, oatmeal. I am also a fan of using soymilk to supplement protein.

now I'm older and seniors need a little more protein. Plus I've gotten into a bad habit of occasionally skipping meals. So I do have a container of protein powder in the cabinet that I occasionally use as sort of a meal replacement.

Right now I have a container of Molly Stone's (its a local upscale grocery store chain) Organic Vegan Protein Powder. Rice, hemp, chia, mushrooms. 21 grams per scoop but I never use a full scoop. It's pretty close to tasteless. but it does add some chalkiness to the smoothie. That is one of the reasons I just use a half scoop.

If you don't have a Molly Stones anywhere near you then you might want to try Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder which you can order form Amazon.

Also, wait a few days for all the replies to come in. There are some other members who know more about this than I do.

Try this.
one cup soymilk, One banana, one tbsp ground flaxseed, one tbsp peanut butter.

300 calories, 14-gram protein, 100% omega 3s. And B12 from the soymilk.

GojiMan had a very interesting YouTube video out regarding protein powders, a few days ago.

I found it fascinating and it was helpful despite his somewhat low key presentation.

Emma JC

As far as regular supplements go, I take B12, B-complex (both of these by doctor's recommendation following blood tests), Omega 3 and vit D less frequently, and per Dr. Greger's recommendation and esp. b/c I'm "older" - and the D more especially in the winter months.

I only just recently bought and started using a protein powder, and only b/c my son asked for it (he's a stick and could use the extra calories anyway). I had to search high and low for one that didn't have added sugar OR Stevia (which I cannot STAND), and one that didn't seem to have a bunch of added things I couldn't pronounce. I don't make smoothies every day, pretty much only on the weekends, and only since I started running. I make 1/2 size smoothies when I do make one for myself, and I only use about a 1/2 scoop. The one I get is Amazing Grass Protein Superfood Original -

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Grass-Organic-Protein-Superfood/dp/B01BWM53VK

Of course, the first time I got it, I got it at Whole Foods. I spent a bunch of time with someone there finding the right one. I paid about $10 more for it than it is on Amazon at the time.

Reactions: Lou
@TofuRobot does your son exercise, too? if yes, great! if not, please encourage him to watch the video I posted above your post. Wouldn't extra starches be a better source of calories than a protein powder?

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and TofuRobot