Best mashed potatoes

ledboots

Peace
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if you could share your favorite methods of making this delicious staple? Looking to upgrade my mashed (don't have a food processor, have a hand potato masher.)

Thanks!

I don't usually pay attention to the type of potato I use. I should. Yukon gold are tasty. I've used baking potatoes and they are my least favorite for mashed potatoes...too light and fluffy. I like mashed potatoes heavy, lumpy and starchy. I peel, boil, then use a masher. I add a little Silk creamer, EB, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast.

Reactions: ledboots
My favorite way is to cook the potatoes, in their jackets, in the slow cooker (without any liquid). That gives them a lot of flavor, and they are neither too watery or too dry.

Squeezing them through a ricer will maximize their fluffiness, but a lot of times, I will just use a whisk to break them up and mix them. That leaves a few *chunks*, if you like that. For the fluffy mashed potatoes, peel the potatoes after cooking, for chunkier mashed potatoes, you can leave the peel on.

I use heated unsweetened nondairy milk, with some veggie bouillon dissolved in it, vegan margarine (or sour cream, for a change), freshly grated nutmeg, garlic powder, and salt (if the bouillon doesn't make it salty enough).

Red potatoes make the best mashed potatoes, IMO. Don't use new potatoes - their waxiness produces an unpleasant texture.

I've never heard of potatoes in a slow cooker - what a great idea! How long do you usually cook them?

I use the method in the following link :

Vegan - Mashed Potatoes | Vegetarian and Vegan Forums @ Veggie Views

My first tip is to use floury potatoes. Second tip is to use either a ricer or hand masher and never a FP. Third tip is to use hot milk and cream plus a knob of non dairy butter.

Ok excellent!! I did get the floury potatoes, I don't like gummy mashed. I don't like to use much salt for health concerns, that is I think the reason I don't like my own mashed potatoes because potatoes taste better with salt. :)

This is the first time I'm hearing about floury potatoes! But I see Yukon gold made the cut. :)

Reactions: ledboots
I've never heard of potatoes in a slow cooker - what a great idea! How long do you usually cook them?

I have a really basic slow cooker. On high, it takes a couple of hours, on low, considerably longer. I have a hard time giving you an exact time, because I usual fiddle between high and low to get them done approximately when I want them. :p

I love using the slow cooker for potatoes that I'm going to use for potato salad, fried potatoes, etc. It really brings out the flavor.

Reactions: Poppy
Do you add water to the cooker when making potatoes? I'm fairly new to using my slow cooker.

I use the method in the following link :

Vegan - Mashed Potatoes | Vegetarian and Vegan Forums @ Veggie Views

My first tip is to use floury potatoes. Second tip is to use either a ricer or hand masher and never a FP. Third tip is to use hot milk and cream plus a knob of non dairy butter.
I can't help but feel my use of the Ninja inspired this. :p

I usually use a fork to mash them since I don't have a hand masher or ricer, and I thought it would be nice to have some non-lumpy potatoes for once. :shrug:

Reactions: KLS52
I don't usually pay attention to the type of potato I use. I should. Yukon gold are tasty. I've used baking potatoes and they are my least favorite for mashed potatoes...too light and fluffy. I like mashed potatoes heavy, lumpy and starchy. I peel, boil, then use a masher. I add a little Silk creamer, EB, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast.
Agreed on most counts. I do leave the skin on when mashing red potatoes and adding roasted garlic. I also use a hand masher, or if I'm lazy, I might used a mixer, but I like lumps in mine as well.

I must confess here to ... laziness.

I find instant mashed potatoes OK (vegan ones, of course).
However, as all of those typically do not have much taste, I normally mix in salt and ... mustard.
If that makes me strange, in addition to lazy, so be it... ;)

Best regards,
Andy

I love mashed potatoes, I might make some later today.:) I sometimes keep the skins on too.

I must confess here to ... laziness.

I find instant mashed potatoes OK (vegan ones, of course).
However, as all of those typically do not have much taste, I normally mix in salt and ... mustard.
If that makes me strange, in addition to lazy, so be it... ;)

Best regards,
Andy

It's a strange juxtaposition that someone who makes his own vegan cheese also uses instant mash.:p

Moll, GERMAN instant potato mash has a rather high quality (I guess), so German housewives have been using that nearly exclusively since 1960 (Alternative theory: German housewives are more lazy, er, practical) ...

But then, I have likely never in my life eaten real hand-mashed potato mash, so I can not really know what I am missing....

One thing I miss about being vegetarian is having real butter on mashed potatoes. Vegan marg doesn't have quite the same flavour, well not the ones I have tried.

I like instant mashed potatoes, too. :)