Best coffee creamer alternative

Grayveggie

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I want to give up using half & half in my coffee, but almond milk is too watery in coffee for me. Is soymilk any thicker?

Silk Creamer (not to be confused with Silk soy milk), original flavor. I don't know what I would have done without it, when I was making the transition. I probably would still be using half and half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a milk frother!

I have been using "sophisticated" espresso machines that offer strong steam production for some decades now, as I am a "cappucchino" fan - I was one when I was still a vegetarian, and as a vegan, I have continued to use soy milk and almond milk.
Still, it is more difficult to get the same quality of milk foam with such a machine when using soy milk, and it is IMO near impossible with almond milk or oat milk.

However, all that changed when we got our first "milk frother" in the office. I was totally amazed about the quality of soymilk foam out of this simple $50-$100 device (before, the milk foam had been a major reason for me to only consider espresso machines well above $500). So now I typically use a mix of almond milk (which I like for the taste) and soymilk (which produces awesome foam).

Example: Foam from standard soy milk, never got that with any of my Espresso machines...

67E7B1AB-CC63-4AAA-9F14-1E0C986CC474.jpeg

Best regards,
Andy

I stand firm. This and only this. There would be no coffee drinking for me if I didn’t have it.
DE5F4F2A-4D0F-467C-BD13-77275A1345DC.jpeg

I want someone to answer about this! :iiam:
Laird Superfood
There's a big display in Fresh Thyme grocery by the coffee. They come in 8 oz bags, which are really pretty big, for $9.99. I rarely use creamer, but I do get vanilla almond and use in teas, oatmeal, to give things a creamy sweet flavor. It's pretty expensive for such an experiment, and there are many choices!

I think you mentioned Laird before (?) because I remember being intrigued. I found it on amazon and had it in my cart for awhile but then chickened out because I literally have hated every other creamer for my coffee and I was afraid of having the same result with Laird.

Personally, I like this stuff:

001960969-1

Tried this before, too:

25955762-0_JzHGkuU.png.200x200_q85ss0_progressive.jpg

Yeah, I like hazelnut.... :rolleyes:

I think you mentioned Laird before (?) because I remember being intrigued. I found it on amazon and had it in my cart for awhile but then chickened out because I literally have hated every other creamer for my coffee and I was afraid of having the same result with Laird.
I did but no one replied :oops:
I love Coffee Mate almond creamer vanilla flavor for teas! and added to oatmeal or cream of wheat or chia seed puddings..or puddings. It tastes marshmellowy
I didn't care for the Silk creamers - something about the sweetener wasn't right for me. Maybe they use stevia?

I did but no one replied :oops:
I would have if I didn’t delete it from my cart! Lol :)
I just think since I don’t like any of the coconut or almond milk creamers that this would be another waste for me. But if I ever change my mind and decide to try it I will report back.

I would have if I didn’t delete it from my cart! Lol :)
I just think since I don’t like any of the coconut or almond milk creamers that this would be another waste for me. But if I ever change my mind and decide to try it I will report back.
I looked at their site again and found a comment that it did indeed taste of coconut! Not for me, I like coconut in curries but not much else

I like un cortado (= cut: you cut down the milk). IMO too much creaminess changes the taste of the coffee. I find that soy milk is just right. I like really strong coffee with just a dash of soy milk. I have 2 or 3 each day and in between drink lots of tea. In France I order une noisette, in Portugal un pingado, in Italy un espresso macchiato. Whilst soy milk is quite easy to find in supermarkets in Spain, I have never found a cafe that offers it as an alternative to milk.

But Cortado is actually special in that it required condensed milk.
Found that condensed milk hard to find in Germany when I was still a vegetarian (mainly in Asian shops)
Have not found a commercial vegan alternative for condensed milk yet.

Might try that one:
How To Make Vegan Condensed Milk - Loving It Vegan
Where on earth did you get that from, Andy? I have never seen condensed milk in Spain but I would never look for it, because I find it gross! It's the Germans who use or used condensed milk (Kaffeesahne - grausam) in their coffee. It's not Sahne at all. The Spanish use normal cow's milk in coffee. It's possible that in the campo (=countryside) somewhere in the mountains there's a cafe using condensed milk but in 15 years in Spain I've never seen it. I think Lidl may sell it in Spain. When I lived in Germany (vor der Wende) condensed milk must have been easy to find because nearly everyone used it but I think that may have changed.

But Cortado is actually special in that it required condensed milk.
Found that condensed milk hard to find in Germany when I was still a vegetarian (mainly in Asian shops)

Have not found a commercial vegan alternative for condensed milk yet.

Might try that one:
How To Make Vegan Condensed Milk - Loving It Vegan
I found this on Amazon. It’s in my cupboard but may be expired now...will have to check. I never ended up using it. I hate when I do that.
3C769002-7177-424D-B666-2F4E515E791E.jpeg

Reactions: Andy_T
On a second thought-I might try reducing it just to the point of a cream consistency! :shrug:

Where on earth did you get that from, Andy? I have never seen condensed milk in Spain but I would never look for it, because I find it gross!

Interesting! I admit I only heard that from a South American friend who told me that he specifically searched for the condensed milk to make a supposedly original cortado. Most likely he was referring to something like a bombon instead.

When I was living in Barcelona myself (in the 90's, quite some time ago, but after the "Wende"), I only ever drank it at restaurants, never tried to make it myself. So I did not really know much about it, other than that I liked to have it after dinner. (But actually, I am more partial to carajillo myself :D, especially now as a vegan)

When I was living in Barcelona myself (in the 90's, quite some time ago, but after the "Wende"), I only ever drank it at restaurants, never tried to make it myself. So I did not really know much about it, other than that I liked to have it after dinner. (But actually, I am more partial to carajillo myself :D, especially now as a vegan)
I can't take rum but a carajillo made with brandy is definitely good after 7 in the evening.

Reactions: Andy_T