Being vegetarian: positive or negative?

turtledove

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Many people see vegetarianism as a negative thing. They think that vegetarians are just being a bit too 'picky', and need to eat meat and fish in order to have a truly balanced diet.

Lots of people who previously ate meat and are now vegetarian regret the decision. Less food choices, more restrictions, more planning before eating out... There are lots of negatives to being a vegetarian.

However, I've been vegetarian since birth, and for me, vegetarianism has always been a positive thing. I dislike the idea of eating meat, and I think I'm far healthier without meat than I every could be while eating it. I think being vegetarian doesn't make you completely healthy, but it does mean that you don't eat a lot of unhealthy things that you may have eaten if you weren't vegetarian.

What do you think about vegetarianism? Positive or Negative?

I think it's nothing but positive if it's done right. It's not just doing the diet right either, but getting in the right frame of mind and always remembering why you're doing it in the first place. If we constantly see it as something we're forcing ourselves through, it will not last. If we see that what we're actually restricting is a bunch of addictions and health sabotaging foods.. well, maybe it will be more sustainable. We aren't restricting.. it's not an eating disorder.. we aren't extreme etc.. and if we are, then so was everyone in the history of the world until we started inventing the foods we see on shelves today lol. And not everyone in the history of the world ate meat.. and they most certainly didn't eat it how it's eaten today, in the amounts it's eaten today, as often as it's eaten today. It's quite easy to see why the typical eater is overweight and sick.

I see it as a positive, but some people have negative attitudes towards restricting diets out of choice. One can say the same for those on other diets; they choose what they want to eat so why shouldn't a vegetarian?

I do still think there are associations of cranks and hippy types of people, but animal rights protestors don't help the cause either. Don't forget there are people that choose a vegetarian diet but aren't opposed to animal rights and those who are for animal rights, yet they still eat meat.

I think that it's totally positive. I mean they are just killing less animals when you think about it. I get that they have less food choices, but that's not a bad thing. When you think about, I'm sure that they are eating a lot better than the people who are always eating meat. I think that we would have a healthier world if people stopped eating meat, and all that junk.

Making a judgement on how positive or negative vegetarianism is does not depend on what other people say, but on what are the results you obtain from your eating change.

Many people eat meat, poultry and fish, yet they have not well-balance diet and are often in need to get dietary supplements.

When you are vegetarian and understand how to balance your diet, meat is not necessary and, again, if being vegetarian is good for your and your health, who cares what others think of this.

I think that it's totally positive. I mean they are just killing less animals when you think about it. I get that they have less food choices, but that's not a bad thing. When you think about, I'm sure that they are eating a lot better than the people who are always eating meat. I think that we would have a healthier world if people stopped eating meat, and all that junk.

Totally agree. That's one of the reasons that I'm happy being vegetarian and don't really care whether people think that my diet is 'right' or 'wrong'.

Making a judgement on how positive or negative vegetarianism is does not depend on what other people say, but on what are the results you obtain from your eating change.

Many people eat meat, poultry and fish, yet they have not well-balance diet and are often in need to get dietary supplements.

When you are vegetarian and understand how to balance your diet, meat is not necessary and, again, if being vegetarian is good for your and your health, who cares what others think of this.

I was just going to add something similar. The in your face activists etc, only hurt you, annoy you, scare you, anger you if you let them. And that isn't vegetarianism/veganism.. that's just an outspoken person that only has power if you give it to them. The results of these lifestyles, if done healthfully, are nothing but positive.

My personal impression is that people often might see vegans and vegetarians as negative, because the mere existence of those puts a mirror to the non-vegan persons face and shows them that it is possible to live without hurting animals.

Most people who consume animal products understand that it is not a good thing that animals have to be hurt and killed for them, and rather do not like to be reminded that there is another way.

Reactions: Damo