Being Seated at a Restaurant

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Not sure whether this is the right place to post this, but here goes.

Here's an e-mail I wrote to the manager of the restaurant, Mr. Roberts. He has not yet replied.

Dear Mr. Roberts,

I like your restaurant very much and come here often.

Today I came by around 10:45 AM and the place was packed. I was put on a waiting list, and many people were standing and waiting just inside the front door. I was seated at a table in the meeting room at about 11:05 AM.

When I was seated I looked around the room and there were three 4-person tables clean and empty.

I don't understand why people are kept waiting by the front door when there are empty tables. And no, I am not talking about myself, I am talking about all those people who had been kept waiting by the front door.

This just makes no sense to me.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Best wishes,

Joe

Your comments?

perhaps they would rather people give up and go away, than seat them and not have the manpower to serve them.

perhaps they would rather people give up and go away, than seat them and not have the manpower to serve them.

Yes, that's a good point.

And when a business has more customers than they can handle, they become less responsive to the occasional complaint...because from their perspective, ignoring you won't impact their bottom line.

Reactions: Amy SF
I think this^^ is it. I went to a chain restaurant once, and they told us it would be a 30- to 45- minute wait. I asked about the 4 tables I could see empty, but the hostess snarled, "We don't have enough staff tonight! "

So we left, figured it would be rushed and not good.

I think this^^ is it. I went to a chain restaurant once, and they told us it would be a 30- to 45- minute wait. I asked about the 4 tables I could see empty, but the hostess snarled, "We don't have enough staff tonight! "

So we left, figured it would be rushed and not good.
I had a similar experience at a chain restaurant. They pretty much said that if you wanted to sit there, you'd be waiting more than an hour for service.

Reactions: ledboots