Being a Vegan Without Refrigeration?

Daniel Swords

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I enjoy “cream” in my coffee and “butter” on my biscuits. I am happily satisfied with vegan substitutes but unfortunately I do not have refrigeration. The shelf-stable vegan milk/cream/butter substitutes I have found only come in containers that are too large for me to use once opened before the products go bad. Any suggestions on small serving packages (or shelf-stable after opening) substitutes?

It's possible to buy powdered vegan creamer, for instance here: Vegan Snacks, Milk, Coffee & Creamers | Laird Superfood

You can also simply buy dehydrated soy milk or coconut milk.

As far as vegan margarine, maybe buy a package of stick margarine instead of a tub of margarine, if you can use a friend or relative's fridge/freezer to store the sticks you're not using at the time? Margarine lasts quite well unrefrigerated, other than when it's hot enough to liquify. Alternatively, use coconut oil or olive oil in lieu of margarine. I often prefer the taste of those anyway.

It's possible to buy powdered vegan creamer, for instance here: Vegan Snacks, Milk, Coffee & Creamers | Laird Superfood

As far as vegan margarine, maybe buy a package of stick margarine instead of a tub of margarine, if you can use a friend or relative's fridge/freezer to store the sticks you're not using at the time? Margarine lasts quite well unrefrigerated, other than when it's hot enough to liquify. Alternatively, use coconut oil or olive oil in lieu of margarine. I often prefer the taste of those anyway.
Mischief!! Nice to see you. :)

It is so good to see you :rose:

Reactions: Mischief
I enjoy “cream” in my coffee and “butter” on my biscuits. I am happily satisfied with vegan substitutes but unfortunately I do not have refrigeration. The shelf-stable vegan milk/cream/butter substitutes I have found only come in containers that are too large for me to use once opened before the products go bad. Any suggestions on small serving packages (or shelf-stable after opening) substitutes?
Gotta wonder what's up with the no fridge thing? Off grid?
In LA I would think of loads of other foods that you' want refrigeration for besides creams or spreads!
There's this that's natural if you're ok with coconut-
And these
There are more than I thought! I only knew of plain Coffee Mate singles

Reactions: KLS52
The convenience stores are very nice about letting me get free ice from the dispenser. You could put the ice in a large Thermos such as the one pictured below. Then you could put your perishable items in the thermos. That should allow you to keep everything cool for at least 24 hours.

My son has a high quality thermos for keeping water cold. The ice can last as long as three days in his thermos. Unfortunately, his thermos costed nearly $60 On sale.

The below pic is my thermos.

Attachments

• 166AF8BF-702D-4E0A-B393-2BC16BA333AC.jpeg
    166AF8BF-702D-4E0A-B393-2BC16BA333AC.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15