Behold: The new Product Directory & Reviews section!

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've just installed a new add-on, called XenKingDir, that I intend to use as a product directory & reviews section! Please post in this thread if you have ideas to what sort of categories we should have and not have, and any other ideas related to this. Currently it has just the default categories that comes with the add-on. I assume those are not really all that applicable to us.

(Unfortunately, the add-on doesn't yet have a rating / scoring system, and I've already been waiting for it to be implemented for months. As it stands, I think it's better to just go ahead without that feature for now.)

I dunno, some of the other categories are useful. Plenty of members are also interested in health/beauty care products and home and garden stuff that is cruelty free.

Reactions: Alice-Bee
I dunno, some of the other categories are useful. Plenty of members are also interested in health/beauty care products and home and garden stuff that is cruelty free.

I agree, food is probably the most appealing but info about other cruelty free products is great to have readily available to people. I don't know if the Finance and Legal or Business Services sections will get used much though.

Okay, thanks! I'll hack away at it and remove the ones I think are unnecessary. I think @sleepydvdr had some ideas back when we discussed this last time, but I can't remember which thread it was now. Might look for it later.

Do we have to have the religious ones? I am finding that Religion is a very hot and heated topic on here and plus we are changing around our beliefs around.

Thanks, I'll remove more categories later, but will wait a bit until I hear back from the add-on developer. It seems it was the deleting of categories that messed up the forum permissions and made the mod forum visible!

I guess I am contrary in that I think you should keep all categories and possibly add more. Do a review in three-to-six month's time, and then delete unused categories.

I am involved in trying to deal with my lawn and would like to be able to talk about lawn care products (like lawnmowers and such).

Also, where would a discussion of kitchen appliances go? Like a Cuisinart, Vitamix, other kitchen tools and utensils?

It might be beneficial to keep some of the technology/computer-related sections, as well.

Idk, I'm torn between having a lot of categories where people will go for all their product reviews, or having fewer and keeping more discussion threads going on the actual forum.

I guess I am contrary in that I think you should keep all categories and possibly add more. Do a review in three-to-six month's time, and then delete unused categories.

I am involved in trying to deal with my lawn and would like to be able to talk about lawn care products (like lawnmowers and such).

Also, where would a discussion of kitchen appliances go? Like a Cuisinart, Vitamix, other kitchen tools and utensils?
Yeah, I feel like it's a difficult decision: Should we limit the categories to those related to vegetarianism/veganism? Or, since there is also a social aspect to the board and people like to talk about all sorts of topics, should we have more categories? Will it appear "unpopular" and off-putting if there are a lot of empty categories?

It might be beneficial to keep some of the technology/computer-related sections, as well.

Idk, I'm torn between having a lot of categories where people will go for all their product reviews, or having fewer and keeping more discussion threads going on the actual forum.
On your last point, we don't really have to compromise: The reviews / comments will appear just like a regular thread inside the Product directory & reviews forum, just that the OP looks a bit different with additional fields for URL, logo, google map etc.

Can we also install it for different regions? Continental Europe (where I am from) is something else than Great Britain for example.
It's possible to have one product in up to 5 different categories simultaneously, so I suppose with a clever division of the world into "categories" we could make it work as it is. (E.g. additional categories could be N. America, U.K., Continental Europe, Australia ...).

Somehow I don't think the steak house restaurants or sea food restaurants sections are needed. o_O
I was just about to delete them when I thought to myself: well, we often have to eat out at various non-veg restaurants, so maybe we should just keep them ...?

I was just about to delete them when I thought to myself: well, we often have to eat out at various non-veg restaurants, so maybe we should just keep them ...?

Hmmm... That does actually make sense but it still looks strange to see steak house and sea food restaurants written on a veggie site. Couldn't they possibly be under one category of "non-vegetarian restaurants" or something similar and then inside that split into geographical sections? There's more non-veg restaurants than just steak houses and sea food places.

^^ That sounds like a good solution, thanks. Will probably do that.

(Haven't heard back from the add-on developer yet, so a bit nervous about deleting categories again after what happened.)