Bechamel sauce

Mikkel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Anyone have a good recipe on a bechemel sauce that doesn't contain gluten, nuts or soy?

I made a sauce yesterday of glutenfree flour, rice milk and vegan butter (and spices), but I think it gets a bit strange. So any good suggestions?

I have heard about potato flour... or just mash.. for bechamel... not sure about any kind of milk though. Most milks seem to be either soy or nut.

That is quite a challenge as it only leaves you with a few ingredients to play with. What kind of a dish will you be making Mikkel ?

I find that the best béchamel is made with just a few basic ingredients ; rich milk/cream ( Oatly milk plus cream), starch and seasoning. Rice milk is a no no if you're allowed another type of milk. Cornflour (which is gluten free) will give you a nice thick base. I would also add some olive oil or vegan butter, nutmeg, yeast flakes, salt and pepper and perhaps some onion powder.

Thanks!

It's for lasange and moussaka.

When I could have the Oatly cream, I made a really good bechamel. But after I lost it, I struggle. But will try out with both the corn and potato flour, and the mashed potato! For the glutenfree flouer gives it just a sweet taste and strange look.

I also have yeast flakes, nutmeg, salt and peppar in. :)

I made lasagne with potato instead of pasta yesterday, as I don't get any lasagna sheets I can eat here in Norway or Sweden (it contains either egg or soy). But the potato lasagne was really tasty!

I wonder if chickpea flour would work since it's used for omelets and things like that.

Thanks!

It's for lasange and moussaka.

When I could have the Oatly cream, I made a really good bechamel. But after I lost it, I struggle. But will try out with both the corn and potato flour, and the mashed potato! For the glutenfree flouer gives it just a sweet taste and strange look.

I also have yeast flakes, nutmeg, salt and peppar in. :)

I made lasagne with potato instead of pasta yesterday, as I don't get any lasagna sheets I can eat here in Norway or Sweden (it contains either egg or soy). But the potato lasagne was really tasty!

Cornflour tastes a 1000 times better than potato starch. You really don't need the béchamel to be very tasty as you'll be using it as a sauce that will blend with far more tasty ingredients. You really do need to add lots of fat to the sauce to make it rich and creamy. Oatly is by far the best bet to make it tasty and creamy. Can't you buy it online ?

It is such a same that you can't have cashew cream as it makes one of the best creamy sauces ever.

Oatly isn't gluten free. It's just very low on gluten. I hope they start to make some gluten free things soon, as it's really tasty.
:)

Then I'll go for the corn stach next time. :)

Oatly isn't gluten free. It's just very low on gluten. I hope they start to make some gluten free things soon, as it's really tasty.
:)

Then I'll go for the corn stach next time. :)

I didn't realise that it wasn't gluten free. I thought that oats were gf. Is it because of the added ingredients ?

From what I understand, it's more of a cross contamination with oats. But they do sell gluten-free oatmeal. And supposedly it's very easy to make your own oat milk.

Anything is better than rice milk.:D

Rice milk is a bit thin for cooking. So I'm not that happy that it's the only milk I'm stuck with.

But it could be worse after all. I could have lost rice too, so no complaining! I just want a nice bechemel sauce! :p

Rice milk is a bit thin for cooking. So I'm not that happy that it's the only milk I'm stuck with.

But it could be worse after all. I could have lost rice too, so no complaining! I just want a nice bechemel sauce! :p

Why don't you try and make your own oat milk, Mikkel ?