Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
1 x 425 g tin of Barlotti beans,drained
1 tbs oil
1 finely chopped (small) onion
1 clove of chopped garlic
100 g chopped mushrooms (you can use less)
1 tsp liquid smoke (or soya sauce)
1 tbs polenta
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 pinch of chilli flakes
salt & freshly ground black pepper
flour for dusting

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and gently sautee for 5 mins until soft. Add the
garlic and mushrooms and cook whilst stirring for another 5 mins until their is no liquid in
the pan. Put aside.
Mash the beans with a masher or fork and add the seasoning and liquid smoke.Add the onion and mushroom mixture and the polenta.If the mixture is too moist add extra polenta or breadcrumbs. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Shape the mixture into 4 round burgers. Dust with flour. Place into the freezer for 15 minutes to harden.
Cook in the usual way ; fry, bake or grill with extra oil.
Tip : These burgers can be frozen before they are cooked.
A couple of tbs of ground almonds may also be added to the mixture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm... sounds yummy. I had to google Barlotti beans. They're sometimes called cranberry beans here in the states. The addition or coriander is anice touch. Looking forward to making this .

Mmmm... sounds yummy. I had to google Barlotti beans. They're sometimes called cranberry beans here in the states. The addition or coriander is anice touch. Looking forward to making this .

This is just a basic recipe. You have to be careful with the additional onion and mushrooms '(they can add too much moisture) and reduce the amount if necessary. I add different spices; a sprinkle of garlic, onion, chilli, smoked paprika etc.

Reactions: sallyomally
The ones I made were red kidney bean, onion mushroom and red pepper based. v good

Reactions: ledboots
Those sound awesome. I love garam masala. Did you do all the toppings too? I am too lazy for all that work but am going to try the burgers. :p
Lol, I actually did follow the entire recipe this time because I had the ingredients and was feeding some guys that helped us move, so I wanted the burgers to be good, and they were! :)

Well I will report back if they are still good with minimal toppings then. :p Seriously, I don't ever see myself making onion rings. But maybe I'll buy some to put on there!

Reactions: ledboots