BBC: environmental impact of plant vs dairy milks

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The popularity of vegan foods continues to grow, with January seen as a traditional time to consider giving them a try.

Milk alternatives, such as oat, soy, almond or coconut, are one area of interest, with sales rising in the UK.
More:
Climate change: Which are the best vegan milks? (9. Jan. 2019)

Some quite positive coverage here, by none other than the eminent BBC. The article shows greenhouse gas emissions, land and water requirements for producing various plant milks and dairy milk.

The National Sheep Association has been given some paragraphs at the end, for "balance" reasons, I assume.

Reactions: Val
The BBC has done a much better job on veganism in about the last months or so. Regularly featuring veganism for no reason, and they also seem to have conquered a slight bias against that they had in about 2017 and early 2018 with more balanced articles. I am quite pleased.

When Lewis Hamilton went vegan they did an article saying it could "hamper his racing edge" and then when he stormed to victory in several races and the overall championship this was never mentioned again. I am sure had he lost there would have been questions asked.