Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
1 bunch fresh basil, rinsed and torn
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp of canola or olive oil
A handful of walnut pieces
A squirt of yellow mustard
1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped (or a spoonful of pre-minced garlic)

Blend well in food processor, or blender, until smooth and creamy

Feel free to play with the amounts of salt, garlic and balsamic vinegar to your personal taste

Can be refrigerated and served cold over a green salad, or tossed warm with freshly cooked pasta.

great recipe - I make something similar (without the oil) and use lemon juice and a bit of water for moisture - mostly using cashews

I make a large batch and then freeze the extra in ice cube trays so that I can add them to pasta or soups anytime.

Emma JC

great recipe - I make something similar (without the oil) and use lemon juice and a bit of water for moisture - mostly using cashews

I make a large batch and then freeze the extra in ice cube trays so that I can add them to pasta or soups anytime.

Emma JC

Hey that's a great idea, with the ice cube trays. Personally I think that the lemon water based one would be better on salads, but if you mixed in more nuts, as you mentioned, then it probably would have a nice consistency for pasta. I'll have to try it different ways in the future.

Reactions: Emma JC
Here is a link to the recipe Oil Free Pesto.

Yes, after the pesto is frozen in the ice cube trays then you just transfer the pesto blocks to a freezer bag/container and they store well for a long time.

Emma JC

Reactions: Forest Nymph