Bad Spoiled Tofu

Kitties

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Today I opened a package of Trade Joe's firm tofu which I what I normally buy. It had a definite foul odor. Many years ago I opened a tofu package that literally smelled like rotten tissue. Not to gross anyone out. The package today looked fine. No leaking. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever run into bad tofu? Which is normally really good stuff. :)

I didn't check the date, I usually don't since stuff moves fast there and the package is, unfortunately, already out in the dumpster so I can't check now. I do hate to waste food. But if it's inedible there is nothing I can do.

Hi everyone,

Today I opened a package of Trade Joe's firm tofu which I what I normally buy. It had a definite foul odor. Many years ago I opened a tofu package that literally smelled like rotten tissue. Not to gross anyone out. The package today looked fine. No leaking. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever run into bad tofu? Which is normally really good stuff. :)

I didn't check the date, I usually don't since stuff moves fast there and the package is, unfortunately, already out in the dumpster so I can't check now. I do hate to waste food. But if it's inedible there is nothing I can do.

I ran into bad tofu last year. It was a type of tofu we'd get regularly at the local Asian market (the tofu brand is Fong Kee or something like that). It smelled grotesque; sorta like rotten fish. We assumed that there was a leak somewhere in the packaging we just didn't notice, but it certainly in retrospect was probably a bad batch.

Thanks Snowcone, I'm thinking bad batch too. I'm not going to buy this brand for a time until whatever the problem is gets fixed. I have to assume it happens once in awhile. And can with anything. No tofu for lunches at work this week. :(

No, I haven't, however I would have taken it back. You can always write a letter of complaint to CS and I'm sure that they'll send you some kind of coupon.

Thanks and I agree with both the above posts. However, it smelled so bad, I wanted it out of the house. I was home from shopping and wasn't going to go out again. I'm going to ask next time I'm in Trader Joe's if they had anyone complain about that particular brand of tofu though.

Thanks and I agree with both the above posts. However, it smelled so bad, I wanted it out of the house. I was home from shopping and wasn't going to go out again. I'm going to ask next time I'm in Trader Joe's if they had anyone complain about that particular brand of tofu though.
I would just bring the receipt next time, and they will likely refund. Most stores don't want people bringing in stinky rotten food, so they believe you. :)

I would just bring the receipt next time, and they will likely refund. Most stores don't want people bringing in stinky rotten food, so they believe you. :)

This, just wait till the next time you go. I couldn't imagine making a special trip to the grocery store for a dollar or two unless you lived right next door to the store, not worth the time or the gas.

Reactions: ledboots
Trader Joe's has a really good return policy, I'd just bring in the reciept.

-not sure why you'd call it a "bad batch." Sometimes the containers just have leaks in them, just like everything else, and it spoils in shipment.

-not sure why you'd call it a "bad batch." Sometimes the containers just have leaks in them, just like everything else, and it spoils in shipment.

Yes. The containers can have leaks in them. But it's also possible for a batch to be contaminated during the preparation process. Either way, it can be a bad batch.

I couldn't find any indication of the package leaking at all. I usually check packages when I buy them.

Good advice about the receipt. If I can find it.