Baby Carrots, just another lie

There are actual baby carrots, but most peeled carrots are labeled either as baby carrots or baby-cut carrots, and therein lies the confusion. Personally I don't care. I buy and eat a LOT of peeled carrots, and I'm glad I don't have to bother with peeling them all. (Long ago, when I was still buying individual unpeeled carrots, I'd have the supermarket bagger remove the carrot tops, something I learned from my mother.)

Baby carrot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ah, I don't really like baby carrots as they always seem very dry and that explains why.

I like using them of I'm making a veggie stew. Which isn't often. So that's good.

The site won't let me read it unless I create an account. :rolleyes:

Hmmm....I don't have an account. Here's basically the same article at the WP: Baby carrots are not baby carrots

While I generally prefer to buy whole carrots because they keep longer, there's nothing intrinsically evil about baby cut carrots. A lot of our vegetables are washed in clorinated water.

I don't think that the fact that these are not actually baby carrots would come as a surprise to anyone who has actually grown carrots in their garden - the difference in shape and uniformity between baby cut carrots and real "baby" carrots is pretty obvious.

Reactions: KLS52 and ledboots
To avoid slimy carrots, I rinse them off, dry them, and store them in this:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 230
I never peel carrots. I simply wash them and brush them with a hard brush.
Also - regarding the carrot tops - those are actually the most nutritious part of the carrot as far as vitamins, micronutrients etc. are concerned. I love to put those into my green smoothie.

Reactions: Naturebound1
I posted that video on Facebook a few years ago, as i always thought baby carrots were small carrots. I got laughed at by several people! So I'm glad it isn't just me who was shocked by it haha.

They sometimes have that slimy feeling, so I stopped buying them :vom: I always thought they were cut up and peeled because they are too thick and short to be baby ones.
I agree about the slimy issue. They grossed me out. Plus, my grandfather had a really bad reaction to them one time. Half his face swelled up and he had to go to the emergency room for treatment. They never did find out what about the carrots actually caused the problem, but he hasn't touched them since.

Reactions: ledboots
I never peel carrots either, I just scrub them well and eat as is. I stopped buying baby carrots years ago when I found out how they were produced. I love to grow my own carrots as they are easy to grow in the north where I live. I haven't mastered storing them over the long winter though. I might invest in a vacuum sealer, IDK. The last time I had lbs of carrots, I made everything from big batches of carrot soup to carrot cookies and breads and dips and carrot hummus lol.

Reactions: Andy_T and PTree15
I just came across this.

Carrot and Shtick

By the way, just to see what would happen, I attempted to log into the Chicago Tribune site using my password for the Los Angeles Times site - and it worked! It logged me in! It's probably because both newspapers are owned by the same company. Weird.

Last edited: