B12 On A Vegan Diet: The Doctor's Opinion

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score

After protein, vitamin b12 is one of the greatest concerns people seem to have when considering a vegan diet. While I’ve already done a full video on B12, I would be remiss if I didn’t ask Dr. Michael Greger of Nutritionfacts.org for his thoughts on this vital vitamin. He discusses supplementation, genetic factors, and b12 sources. Track your vitamin B12 with Cronometer: CRON-O-Meter: Track nutrition & count calories

All very sensible. And he's got a cool hat :p

Bit of a tangent, but since he mentioned vitamin D: you can actually find vitamin D in the produce section! It's the "magic mushrooms" - mushrooms that have been irradiated with ultraviolet light in order to make them produce vitamin D. Or maybe they are in jars, so not exactly the produce section?

Anyway, you can also buy regular mushrooms and then irradiate them yourself:
Place Mushrooms in Sunlight to Get Your Vitamin D: Part Two | Paul Stamets

Last edited:
Reactions: Bite Size Vegan
I really like these videos! Is Dr. Greger a vegan? I want to know because a "non-biased" source is a useful tool to have for showing skeptical omnivores. It might appear more objective when a non-vegan supports veganism than when a vegan defends their own choices.

I really like these videos! Is Dr. Greger a vegan? I want to know because a "non-biased" source is a useful tool to have for showing skeptical omnivores. It might appear more objective when a non-vegan supports veganism than when a vegan defends their own choices.
The Wikipedia page on Dr. Greger states that he is a vegan. I suppose it would be strange for a person to advocate a position like that without at least attempting to adhere to it in their personal life. That could imply there is some flaw with it, that it's too impractical for anyone but the most dedicated individuals etc.

Regarding the potential to convince non-vegan friends & family by "appeal to authority", the question should be whether the said authority was vegan first and then acquired their science credentials, or if it were the other way around.

Another authority who definitely got their science credentials first:
Dr. Jenkins, father of the glycemic index, recommends veganism | Vegetarian and Vegan Forums @ Veggie Views

Last edited:
Reactions: Bite Size Vegan
Regarding the potential to convince non-vegan friends & family by "appeal to authority", the question should be whether the said authority was vegan first and then acquired their science credentials, or if it were the other way around.

That's a good point. I was listening to the Rich Roll podcast today where he interviewed Dr. Robert Ostfeld, a cardiologist who went vegan after he became a doctor. He now runs a cardiac wellness program in the Bronx. Really interesting stuff. Here's his twitter feed: https://twitter.com/drostfeld

All very sensible. And he's got a cool hat :p

Bit of a tangent, but since he mentioned vitamin D: you can actually find vitamin D in the produce section! It's the "magic mushrooms" - mushrooms that have been irradiated with ultraviolet light in order to make them produce vitamin D. Or maybe they are in jars, so not exactly the produce section?

Anyway, you can also buy regular mushrooms and then irradiate them yourself:
Place Mushrooms in Sunlight to Get Your Vitamin D: Part Two | Paul Stamets
very true! vit D mushrooms are awesome :) i did mention them in the Vit D video...must have slipped his mind