Asparagus!

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Spring is almost here, and when I think of spring, one of the first things I think of is...Asparagus! Beautiful, lovely, sweet asparagus! :lick:

I love asparagus sautéed. There is a Japanese restaurant in Los Angeles that features sautéed asparagus as an appetizer which is out of this world. :drool:

Who else loves asparagus? How do you like it prepared when you eat it? Does anyone have any nifty asparagus recipes to share?

I love asparagus so much!

A couple weeks ago I happened to go to the grocery store on the day they had a sale on it - $1.47/pound. I bought three pounds. :D (It's been years since I've seen it for that price.) It immediately went back up to $5/pound. Every time I'm at the store now I check the price, and will buy more as soon as it starts going down again.

I like it pretty much any way, but here are the ways I most frequently eat it:

*Raw, cut into 1-inch sections, tossed with halved grape tomatoes, minced fresh garlic, a good drizzle of olive oil and just a touch of kosher salt.

*Roasted. I like it done until the tips just start to frizzle. I make it in the toaster oven.

*Cut into discs, maybe 1/4" thick, sautéed in margarine just until hot and mixed into white rice.

*Jerk Asparagus , from Appetite for Reduction. This is the only way my husband likes it.

*Lightly steamed.

Reactions: ledboots and Amy SF
I like asparagus but I don't buy it often. I only like the tips and it's too expensive to be wasting so much of it.

I guess I could try and be more creative...maybe use the ends and purée them into a nice creamy soup!

I like asparagus but I don't buy it often. I only like the tips and it's too expensive to be wasting so much of it.

I guess I could try and be more creative...maybe use the ends and purée them into a nice creamy soup!

Asparagus is great in soups!

I usually roast it, steam it or stir fry it. I don't buy it often either due to the price and the quality. I like the bigger thicker spears compared to the super skinny ones.

Reactions: KLS52
I built a raised-bed planter and put in asparagus last year, but I'm not sure if they made it through the drought. I may have to replace them this spring.

I usually roast it, steam it or stir fry it. I don't buy it often either due to the price and the quality. I like the bigger thicker spears compared to the super skinny ones.

I used to prefer the skinny spears, but I'm coming to appreciate the bigger ones now.

I noticed yesterday that Costco has a decent price on asparagus, so I might get some there next week.

Reactions: thefadedone
I only like it when it's in season - the rest of the time, it's not worth the money. But when it's in season - heaven.

My favorite way is to *roast* it in a cast iron skillet, after brushing it lightly with olive oil. When it's done, sprinkle a little salt on it.

My second favorite way is a vegan quiche, followed by risotto or in a creamy sauce over pasta.

Raw is good too.

I only like it when it's in season - the rest of the time, it's not worth the money. But when it's in season - heaven.

My favorite way is to *roast* it in a cast iron skillet, after brushing it lightly with olive oil. When it's done, sprinkle a little salt on it.
I am doing this tonight and throwing some garlic in, too! I get these great grill marks from this one cast iron one I have. :D

I have no idea what else I'm making except quinoa, but I have lots of stuff, I'm winging it. Found my favorite skinny snappy asparagus for $1.99/lb. :D

I've never tried white asparagus. I've only seen in jarred not fresh. I've read that it has a very different taste compared to regular green asparagus.

The flavor is somewhat more delicate.

White asparagus is just regular asparagus that's covered as it starts to come up, so that no sunlight reaches it amd photosynthesis doesn't take place. Basically, you keep mounding soil/growing medium up as the sprouts grow, so that they are never uncovered.

I've never tried white asparagus. I've only seen in jarred not fresh. I've read that it has a very different taste compared to regular green asparagus.

The flavor is somewhat more delicate.

White asparagus is just regular asparagus that's covered as it starts to come up, so that no sunlight reaches it amd photosynthesis doesn't take place. Basically, you keep mounding soil/growing medium up as the sprouts grow, so that they are never uncovered.

Thanks for the info. :up:
I'll be sticking to the green !

I love asparagus. My favorite way to eat it is to steam it, let it cool and then make a cold salad out of it using olive oil, fresh lemon juice, pepper and garlic. Let it marinate for several hours in the fridge. Melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness.