News Article by Noam Chomsky: Who rules the World?

Well, a lot of Americans would celebrate non-stop if we closed all the military bases in other lands, brought our soldiers home, and gave only humanitarian aid worldwide.

I'm not sure closing US military bases and basically stopping to "project" US military power would be a good thing for the US or for other countries. That would just create a temporary power vacuum which other, possibly less benign, nations and powers would soon fill.

As far as I understand, Chomsky's article is mostly describing the situation and problems, it doesn't really suggest any solutions. Although it hints that the growing power of the public is becoming a benign force to be reckoned with.

I'm not sure closing US military bases and basically stopping to "project" US military power would be a good thing for the US or for other countries. That would just create a temporary power vacuum which other, possibly less benign, nations and powers would soon fill.

As far as I understand, Chomsky's article is mostly describing the situation and problems, it doesn't really suggest any solutions. Although it hints that the growing power of the public is becoming a benign force to be reckoned with.
Oh, well, that's the way it goes. Let someone else step up. Americans are getting tired of the wars, the expense, the ridicule from all sides...

Oh, well, that's the way it goes. Let someone else step up. Americans are getting tired of the wars, the expense, the ridicule from all sides...
I think it would make sense if especially European countries to a greater extent provided the military muscle to protect their own territory and interests.