Art, whats your style?

Alice-Bee

Mad as A Hatter
Reaction score
Ive been thinking alot about art, illustration, drawing. Whatever you want to call it.
I see alot of hyper realistic drawings, paintings and sketches and they are hard to tell apart from a photo, sure it would be amazing to have the skill to do that but I also wonder, is there much point in being able to render something in such detail that 95% of the people looking at the picture dont believe its not a photo.

I have had people say that digital art is cheating because the computer does it all for you, do you think that digital art is less valuable than a pencil drawing or painting.
Ive always tried to refer to myself as an illustrator because 'Art' makes me think of unmade beds and upside down urinals that sell for thousands of Dollars.

What kind of art do you like?

hyper realistic paintings would be more worthwhile if they painted something imaginative, something that wasn't in the real world.......I wanted to go to art college and paint hyper realistic, but surreal paintings, at one time...probably a bit ambitious..

I agree. Copying a photo or still life whilst impressive is not how I would use my skill if I could draw like that. Although in saying that perhaps for it to look real, it needs to be real.
I wish I could go back to Uni and do my course over with the knowledge I have now. I wasted so much time on stuff that wasnt useful.

I'm open to what I like or not. Art pretty much falls into a couple of categories to me. It either evokes some feelings/emotions or it doesn't. The feelings don't have to be particular strong for me to like it, a brief moment of nostalgia can be enough, nor do the feelings have to be positive for me to appreciate it.

I much prefer realism over abstract art. As for digital art, it can be cheating if they are just using parts of photographs or similar. I have a weakness for pixeled drawings done for low-res formats with limited number of colours. My favourite genre is probably "broads with swords" :) Hehe, well it used to be back in the day.

I much prefer realism over abstract art. As for digital art, it can be cheating if they are just using parts of photographs or similar. I have a weakness for pixeled drawings done for low-res formats with limited number of colours. My favourite genre is probably "broads with swords" :) Hehe, well it used to be back in the day.

heh, I'm a long time fan of Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo's work.

I'm an on-again, off-again still life painter - pretty realistic. Sometimes I think my paintings are lovely, but usually I think they are stodgy, and it's discouraging. I wish I were a looser painter, but I'm not.

IMG_0100.jpg

I tend to like loose, large urban landscapes.

And I think digital art can be wonderful!

I like a wide range of artistic styles. I like realism, I like some abstract, I like digital, I like photography, I like sculpture...

I don't at all think digital art is "cheating" or somehow inferior to, say, painting. I think they're different skills and both require an artistic vision and/or drive.

I feel fortunate to live in a city with a world-class art museum, and go there several times a year (they're constantly bringing in special exhibitions).

I don't like art that looks too much like photos. I like to be able to tell the difference between a photo and a painting or drawing. I would think if I were an artist I would miss using actual paint, pens, paper, etc. if I started doing digital art.

I went to a friend's art show a few years ago and it was an interesting experience. I was blown away by some of the talent and creativity of a lot of the artists there, but there were also other pieces that left me completely baffled and confused.

I have always been strangely impressed by realistic paintings.....to take paint, canvas or paper and make something that looks realistic, is like a form of magic....it is certainly a good test of the person's skills. I get more pleasure out of looser, artier stuff though.

There is the visceral pleasure from using actual material ...like the smell of oil paints; the messiness of getting paint on one's hands; an old rag that you use to wipe off the paint brushes etc.

My grandmother had a huge set of art history volumes, and they each had prints of all the art work. I spent so much time looking through the books, and she taught me so much about art. I love so many different styles, including computer. I love sculpture especially. :)

I think anyone who says digital art is cheating should open up photoshop and draw a masterpiece. when they fail miserably because they have no artistic talent, they can come back and say it again. ha. Similarly, its a pet hate of mine with photography, that people tend to compliment the camera and not the person who took the photo. YES i have a posh camera, but it does require human input to get a good photo!

Im not too fussy with art and can appreciate most things. my favourite thing is surrealism though, like dali and magritte. I too find photorealistic stuff a bit boring. Cant really comment on personal drawing style, as I dont tend to draw. odd stuff i guess. I enjoy it but find it hard to be motivated as im not very good.

I think anyone who says digital art is cheating should open up photoshop and draw a masterpiece. when they fail miserably because they have no artistic talent, they can come back and say it again. ha. Similarly, its a pet hate of mine with photography, that people tend to compliment the camera and not the person who took the photo. YES i have a posh camera, but it does require human input to get a good photo!

Im not too fussy with art and can appreciate most things. my favourite thing is surrealism though, like dali and magritte. I too find photorealistic stuff a bit boring. Cant really comment on personal drawing style, as I dont tend to draw. odd stuff i guess. I enjoy it but find it hard to be motivated as im not very good.

I agree, love Ansel Adams "art"

ansel-adams.jpg

^Agree.

Perhaps wrongly I took a dislike to the fine art students at University. We had a year to make a final project for our courses. I was studying Animation so made a film, along with concept art, sketchbooks, storyboards, character design and layouts etcetc. And the fine art students just had one piece per student, I seem to remember one girls was a doll torn aprt and hung from string with the word 'Why?' next to it.

Why indeed.

I wish I could find myself in tradional painting again,I loved it when I was doing it but digital has corrupted me I suppose. Too easy to CTRL+Z...

Photography was something I thought 'anyone can do' till I started looking into more. Yes anyone can take a photo but only a true artist can take a photo with meaning and soul. If that makes sence.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I like impressionism that hints at realism, but lets you fill in the blanks. I'm fond of Winslow Homer's watercolors.