Arsenic in Rice

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I purchased some rice online from a gourmet site in a southern state. It tasted wonderful, but I kept getting sick every time I ate it. I would wake up the next morning with a blinding headache, and would be tired for several days. I did everything recommended for making this safe. I soaked it overnight, rinsed it 11 times, boiled it in 11 cups of water for 5 minutes, strained it, boiled it in another 11 cups of water, and then strained it. It still made me sick.

I haven't had this problem with rice from Thailand, or Lundberg's from California.

I'm a little upset. I bought a lot of it in order to get free shipping.

I'm just going to throw it out. I'll go out and buy Lundberg's. They got high marks for low arsenic in their organic rice. I had been eating that for years, and was pretty happy with it.

Reactions: Lou
I read that in terms of arsenic former cotton states ( The South ) are the worst.

Lundberg is the only company that is regularly monitoring their soil, and in that regard might be the safest.

It could be that something other than arsenic is making you sick so you using the right cooking method to reduce the arsenic.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
I'm just going to throw it out. I'll go out and buy Lundberg's. They got high marks for low arsenic in their organic rice. I had been eating that for years, and was pretty happy with it.
Lundbergs is the only one I know that releases their test results.
I buy Jasmine from Thailand and don't make it often.
It certainly sounds like something besides arsenic, as that is a cumulative effect, after how you cooked it it shouldn't have sudden effects!
Have you contacted the company? Almost sounds like you should contact some health agency!

Reactions: Lou
I purchased some rice online from a gourmet site in a southern state. It tasted wonderful, but I kept getting sick every time I ate it. I would wake up the next morning with a blinding headache, and would be tired for several days.

You may have experienced low blood sugar levels after consuming rice which has a high GI index level. Having a blinding headaches certainly is one symptom including fatigue. However, there are many other things that can trigger headaches.

It does not seem like your symptoms have anything to do with arsenic poisoning as they are different to those you describe. According to medical experts, you would need to consume large quantities over a long period of time before having serious health problems.

Have you tried eating lots of vegetables containing fibre, protein and drinking lots of fluids when you eat rice? I often get bad headaches if I consume a carb heavy meal that doesn't include protein/and or small amounts of vegetables. Sadly, I've experienced the above symptoms many times when I'm not in control of my meal ; i.e. when invited to diner or at a restaurant.

I also need to drink plenty of fluids when eating a high carb meal to prevent getting headaches.

It always a good idea to seek medical advise if you have frequent severe headaches. Each individual is different and only a qualified medical professional can really give a valid opinion.

Have you tried eating lots of vegetables containing fibre, protein and drinking lots of fluids when you eat rice? I often get bad headaches if I consume a carb heavy meal that doesn't include protein/and or small amounts of vegetables. Sadly, I've experienced the above symptoms many times when I'm not in control of my meal ; i.e. when invited to diner or at a restaurant.

I also need to drink plenty of fluids when eating a high carb meal to prevent getting headaches.

If you are that sensitive to carbs, you might want to try limiting your fat intake. All the vegan doctors are saying that it's fat that causes insulin resistance. When your cells carry too much fat, they end up not being able to absorb sugar, and your blood sugar levels go up when you eat carbs. Carbs end up getting blamed, but fat is the real culprit. In other words, by going on a low-fat vegan diet, you can reduce the amount of fat in your cells and reduce your insulin resistance. Dr. Neal Barnard has a book about diabetes, which seems to have helped a lot of people. You might want to check it out.

Last edited:
You may have experienced low blood sugar levels after consuming rice which has a high GI index level. Having a blinding headaches certainly is one symptom including fatigue. However, there are many other things that can trigger headaches.

It does not seem like your symptoms have anything to do with arsenic poisoning as they are different to those you describe. According to medical experts, you would need to consume large quantities over a long period of time before having serious health problems.

It always a good idea to seek medical advise if you have frequent severe headaches. Each individual is different and only a qualified medical professional can really give a valid opinion.

Actually, I only have problems with rice from southern states. I had a similar reaction from a rice grown in Texas. I can eat a meal made with rice from Thailand or California, and have no issues.

I have been a vegan for almost 40 years, so I'm pretty aware of food combining. I don't just sit down and eat a large bowl of rice. I'm not diabetic, and have no problems with hypoglycemia.

Eating 1/2 cup of rice with 2 cups of vegetables and tofu or chickpeas would not be considered "carb heavy.." I drink about 2 quarts of water per day, so my fluids are fine.

The point is that I have an issue with rice grown in southern states. The only time I get that reaction is the morning after I eat rice from southern states. I had been eating Lundberg's for about 30 years, and made the mistake of trying a little variety.

I don't eat, it or eat Lundberg's, and I'm fine. I threw the stuff away, and haven't had a problem since. It may not be arsenic, or I'm particularly sensitive to it, but something is in that rice that should not be there.

The point is that I have an issue with rice grown in southern states. The only time I get that reaction is the morning after I eat rice from southern states. I had been eating Lundberg's for about 30 years, and made the mistake of trying a little variety.
OH! that does remind me of something that I read. I don't think it was about rice. in fact as I try to remember I think it was just something brought up in a news story about something entirely different. Georgia politics - maybe? That has been in the news a lot.

anyway I think it mentioned that a lot or rice fields were former tobacco plantations. I wonder if there could be some kind of soil contaminant. Which brings us right back to the arsenic situation.

Another big plus for California grown rice is that it uses a lot less water than rice grown in other places.

I threw the stuff away, and haven't had a problem since. It may not be arsenic, or I'm particularly sensitive to it, but something is in that rice that should not be there.

Great that you found an answer. People are so very different and may be sensitive to an array of food and different ingrediants.

Dang it...that was supposed to be what I linked, not sure why it got messed up!
OH! that does remind me of something that I read. I don't think it was about rice. in fact as I try to remember I think it was just something brought up in a news story about something entirely different. Georgia politics - maybe? That has been in the news a lot.

anyway I think it mentioned that a lot or rice fields were former tobacco plantations. I wonder if there could be some kind of soil contaminant. Which brings us right back to the arsenic situation.

Another big plus for California grown rice is that it uses a lot less water than rice grown in other places.
Cotton fields that were heavily sprayed with arsenic

Why would California rice use less water? 🤔

I buy all my Jasmice rice from Thailand. I used to use brown but haven't in ages. i hate cooking it like pasta!

Cotton fields that were heavily sprayed with arsenic

I thought they mentioned tobacco but it wasn't the topic of the story. Just something that was mentioned. Now that you brought it up they might not have pointed out tobacco.
Why would California rice use less water? 🤔

I buy all my Jasmice rice from Thailand. I used to use brown but haven't in ages. i hate cooking it like pasta!
water use was mentioned in that rice thread. But I was the one who said it took less water to grow California rice than rice in other countries. but I did not reference that statement and now I can't find anything to back that up.
I did find articles defending rice growing during the drought. and articles saying that California grown rice prouces less GHG than rice grown in other place. and that California rice farmers use less insecticides. And there is less runoff from rice in California. And there is less arsenic in California grown rice.

I sometimes cook brown rice in my IP. it comes out pretty good.

If you are that sensitive to carbs, you might want to try limiting your fat intake. All the vegan doctors are saying that it's fat that causes insulin resistance. When your cells carry too much fat, they end up not being able to absorb sugar, and your blood sugar levels go up when you eat carbs. Carbs end up getting blamed, but fat is the real culprit. In other words, by going on a low-fat vegan diet, you can reduce the amount of fat in your cells and reduce your insulin resistance. Dr. Neal Barnard has a book about diabetes, which seems to have helped a lot of people. You might want to check it out.

I follow a Mediterranean diet/food plan as well as the NHS Eat well guide minus the meat/fish off course. I used to eat a lot of oily fish and seafood and now eat plant based protein.

I usually eat a well balanced diet most of the time (90%) and allow myself anything that I fancy, 10% of the time. This includes plenty of fruit and vegetables, protein, organic whole grains/ organic pasta/pulses/potatoes and vegetable oils/fat/seeds & nuts. I never buy ready made meals/sauces/salad dressing/cakes/pastry/soups etc and prepare (mostly) all of my own food. Moreover, industrial food often contains high amounts of salt, sugar (usually corn syrup in the US) and tons of additives.
On special occasions and if I'm invited out or when on holiday, I eat what I fancy and certainly do allow myself 'unhealthy' snacks. I find it a bit annoying when guests make sure that you know that they are on some kind of a diet/food plan etc.

I'm not a believer of making things over complicated and always listen to my body (it changes as we grow older) and sensible information from a reputable source.

I'm not a follower of low fat diets (or complicated calculations of units, points, or whatever) and eat (recommended) normal (NHS Med.food plan) quantities of plant based oil/fat which are beneficial to the brain and heart.
Fat (excluding trans or animal fats) also builds cell membranes and hormones, and helps your body absorb fat-soluble vitamins including A, D, E, and K.

As I have stated, I usually end up with a headache when I've been given white rice and vegetables because they don't make a balanced, healthy & fulfilling meal. When travelling by plane, that's what they always serve you so now I bring along my own food.

My blood tests (sugar levels) are normal but my genetic make up may suggest a sensitivity to carbs or metabolic syndrome.

The endocrinologist at the university teaching hospital says that it runs in families and it is genetic. She suggested that I always eat a balanced meal with plenty of fibre and watch my weight and do regular exercise. She also added that if I'm hungry in between meals to be sure to have a protein/fibre based snack i.e; an oatcake with pb or a yogurt that has a normal fat content with berries,roast chickpeas or some nuts.

At the end of the day, she told me not to be stressed out and to have a relaxed attitude about diet and a possible illness in the near future.

My last blood test ( a month ago) was normal and it suggests that I'm in good health for my age despite all of the aches and pains of a senior.:confused:

We are all so different and our bodies do not react in the same way to either food or medication. My approach to nutrition may not be the same compared to others but it suits me, most of the time. Nothing is perfect in this world and we don't choose our genetic make up so we have to work around it. :)

Thank you for your suggestion. :)

I also have bad experience with wild rice and Jerry berry rice from Thailand.

Cramps and constipation.

This was organic rice.

Just avoid it.

Makes my shopping time less and less complicated another win.

Ever since I went vegan I have never looked back!