Are You happy to be single?

veganchick

Forum Novice
Reaction score
I am single and mostly happy about it but most of the people I know are couples and have are mostly mix with other couples only or are busy with family. It has never been my goal in life to be part of a couple although I have had relationships. I would much rather have friends instead am I the only one who feels like this?

Not right now, no. Sometimes I'm relieved, lately just a bit lonely.

For the time being. Call me selfish, but I do prefer the freedom afforded to me by being unattached by a large margin, based on my limited experiences with the alternative.

Reactions: Freesia
I've always been happier when I'm single and plan to stay that way from now on. My single friends who are miserable because they aren't in a relationship, say I'm lying to myself and will one day be (trapped) in another one. :rolleyes:

I like coming and going as I please without having to tell someone where I am. I like hanging out with whomever I want, including ex-b/f's and lovers, without having to okay it with a significant other. I'm done cleaning up after someone else, listening to music I don't like and watching shows I have no interest in.

I'm almost half a century old, so now it's time for me to be selfish and do what I want, without having to compromise. :cool:

I think I am pretty happy being single though it is a new experience for this old lady! :D I married for the first time quite young and never had the experience of living on my own until recently when my second husband decided he didn't want to be married anymore and took off. For a while my deceased son lived with me, then his brother for a time, but now I am alone with the dog and cats. Kind of strange sometimes and lonely but also nice not to have to answer to anybody. At this point in my life, I am not looking for a relationship and want to work on ME for a while. Who knows how I will feel in the future.

Reactions: Freesia
“I’m single and loving it.”
When this phrase is uttered by a woman, it often induces a disbelieving eyeroll and an under-the-breath “yeah, right.” And if the woman in question is in her late 30s or beyond, forget about it — the traditional wisdom is that she must be an animal hoarder who’s simply undesirable.
But according to a new report — and our own TODAY.com readers — we live in a brave new world where it's entirely possible (probable, even) for women to be single by choice and happy about it.
A recent Atlantic Monthly article takes a deeper look at the institution of marriage and why a growing number of women are putting it off or forgoing it altogether. Author Kate Bolick, who shares her own story as a 39-year-old single woman, appeared on TODAY Tuesday to discuss her article, saying, “Today marriage is an option, not a necessity the way that it once was, and that’s revolutionary.”...

http://www.today.com/id/44864288/si...-happy-yes-say-todaycom-readers/#.URxZ5h1wrBM

I think it depends. If you are in a situation which is making you unhappy, then being single can be a real bummer, and having the social support of a partner can be helpful. But if you are really enjoying your career and your social life being single can be fun and you may not feel the need for a partner.

Also if you dream of having a family being single can also be a *****. And it also depends whether you are at a stage in your life if you benefit from being single. Sometimes you need space.

So it is hard to say in a blanket way that being single is good or bad or being attached is good or bad.

Myself, I wish I had a partner but in some ways I think it is good that I dont have one as I still have things to sort out. But it doesnt stop me from wanting one though.

I don't think it's selfish to want to stay single at all! You can make all your own decisions about your life, finances etc...without consulting someone else.

I'm not single but I do know quite a few people who are unhappily single and want to be in a serious relationship, mostly men actually.

I'm going to add that for me right now, I miss the physical presence of another person rather than the social/emotional side (I get enough of that from my lovely friends). I just want a hug and someone to lean against and regular sex would be nice too.

I don't mind being single. I learned a long time ago that having a partner means that they are there even when I'd rather them be somewhere else. I have moments where I wonder what it'd be like to have a partner again, but then I come to my senses.

Do you think men are less happy than women being single Envy?

I didn't like being single but I think maybe it would have been good for me to have had more time alone now as I have never even lived on my own.

Do you think men are less happy than women being single Envy?

I didn't like being single but I think maybe it would have been good for me to have had more time alone now as I have never even lived on my own.

Men are less likely to have a good social network, so yes, I think so.

I'm going to add that for me right now, I miss the physical presence of another person rather than the social/emotional side (I get enough of that from my lovely friends). I just want a hug and someone to lean against and regular sex would be nice too.

Maybe you need a friend with benefits? Or just a **** buddy?

Men are less likely to have a good social network, so yes, I think so.

Most of the men I know cannot handle being single. They always have to be dating someone. They are just not content with being alone.

I've never really thought about it but women do seem more stoic about being single.

It seems like a lot of single men I know had a "perfect" relationship that ended badly and they never meet anyone new who measures up to that one and they seem quite bitter about the whole thing!:p

I've never really thought about it but women do seem more stoic about being single.

It seems like a lot of single men I know had a "perfect" relationship that ended badly and they never meet anyone new who measures up to that one and they seem quite bitter about the whole thing!:p
Men also die when their wife dies much more often than women do.