Are there any vegans who avoid crops thats production is particularly dangerous to animals?

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm thinking of all crops grown in fields - so grain, potatoes, maize and sweetcorn, soybeans etc. - being an example of foods/food ingredients thats production (in this case I'm thinking specifically harvest) is particularly harmful to animals as vegan food goes.

I don't think anyone denies that animals such as field mice are injured and killed during the production of such foods and ingredients as those that I have named above, so is there anyone who avoids anything to do with these crops and other crops thats production is particularly injurious and/or fatal to animals, as I myself feel like I really should be doing?

This sort of reminds me of a thread I created about almonds. Millions of bees die during pollination every year, yet most vegans have no idea of the harm caused.

In my humble opinion, there's a point of going too far though. Like washing living bacteria from your hands, etc. Do you kill the bugs trying to eat and destroy your crops? What about the pine beetles destroying the forests? Where is the line of ethics drawn?

Would I personally protect my crops from pests? Hell ya! Having said that, I would never use pesticides to do it, but I would do everything possible, holistically, to protect my crops. It's a tough question, but at the end of the day, we still have to eat.

A better question is whether we can farm these crops without harming the wee little critters.

What a hard question to try and answer. I do grow a lot of our vegetables but some things I struggle with, I do try to buy ethically but it's harder than most people realize. Are the crops touted as organic fertilized with animal products like manure or blood and bone ? Then there are hidden things in the processing, in Australia for example gelatine is used in the processing of pineapple juice but is not required to be listed on the packaging. I don't buy anything from that company anymore. If I want juice I make my own now. I don't use any pesticides in my garden but one of my neighbours does so I have to plan my garden beds around what he is likely to do.