Are fleas sentient

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Are fleas sentient beings?
Is it morally wrong to kill them if your animal has fleas?
Should we just use repellents?
What is your opinion; if an animal has fleas and is really suffering, should we kill the fleas? Is there another way to remove fleas without killing them?

I suppose , if your pets tolerate it, to vacuum the fleas off and empty the bag outside. Of course, this time of year, they may not survive anyhow.
I would not be inclined to worry more about the fleas quality of life than the comfort and health of a beloved pet.

I can't help all the animals in the world, but the ones that are in my home, and under my care I have the utmost responsibility to give them care
There is a huge difference between living in the wild and living in a domestic household. Domestic animals not only suffer from parasites, but they can and do cause disease

Some suffer far worse than others. I have moved into a house that had fleas and I would not wish that pain on anyone.
If I can prevent suffering I feel it is my duty to do whatever I can, in the same way that I would shoot someone if I or someone else were being threatened

This touches on a subject that we have discussed in several threads.
So in being vegan - we don' t exploit animals.
and of course we don't kill them indiscriminately.
but IMHO its totally permissible to kill vermin, pests, parasites, etc.

Is there another way to remove fleas without killing them?
The rest of the questions are too big for a short answer, but this part I can attempt.
I have read some about flea control. The number one most effective thing to control (not eliminate immediately but hopefully keep at a 'tolerable' level) a flea population without insecticides is to vacuum. Every single female flea lays a ridiculous number of eggs every day. The eggs are slippery and slide off the host animal. They need certain conditions to hatch and grow into fleas. The eggs are constantly falling off the host animal, and even though most of them never hatch, there are so many that even the fraction that do hatch become a lot of flea larvae.

A very tiny worm hatches out of each egg. The worms live very well in carpet, where they eat the poop that drops from the adult fleas and they also eat some of the unhatched eggs. Eventually each worm builds a sticky cocoon that looks like a tiny speck of dusty lint, because the dust and lint stick to it. It is the adult flea that emerges from the cocoon and right away its instinct is to jump on to a host.

So you need to vacuum. A lot. Daily if possible in the warmer months when the eggs hatch faster (yes they hatch faster when it is warmer). Concentrate mostly on the places where the pet sleeps and where they spend most of their time.

Remember that the eggs are very tiny, white, and slippery. And numerous. You can imagine where they slide and roll to. Vacuum everywhere, often. Use the handheld hose to get in little spaces and to thoroughly vacuum pet beds.

Also get rid of carpets and rugs. These are ideal environments for eggs to be hidden long enough to hatch, and the vacuum can't get all of them up from those environments.

The vacuuming won't kill adult fleas because the adult flea lives only on the host. It is more effective to get rid of the eggs before they hatch.

If you do this consistently for a few years in a row, you may see a reduction in the flea population.

If you already have fleas on your pet, you may need to use insecticide the first year, but it is still good to vacuum to get rid of any eggs or cocoons that could hatch later. The cocoons especially can survive a long time before hatching and also can survive very extreme temperatures.

If this sounds a little crazy and obsessive, it is. It just depends on how much time you have and how important it is to you to avoid using the insecticides.

Last edited:
Are fleas sentient? If by "sentient" you mean to have the capacity to have "feelings" about the world then probably. But do those feelings really translate well into something we would recognise? Very probably not. I would say that the feelings of fleas are simple motivational states aimed at improving the flea's chances of surviving long enough to reproduce. Do we care whether fleas reproduce? I'd say no in regard to the individual flea and I'd back that up by suggesting the we owe greater ethical duty to individuals who exercise a K-selected reproductive strategy. That is because the success of the individual counts most for K-selected species survival whereas for r-selected species the individual counts for far less in that regard. Lastly, we are quite entitled to kill pests when they threaten our (or our pets) well-being, as Lou suggests above.

I would say it is not morally wrong to kill fleas, plus I would say it is probably better to kill them than not because they can infect other animals and cause much distress. Perhaps we even have a duty to kill fleas wherever we find them.

• Agree
Reactions: silva