April Health Challenge (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happily back on track with exercise now that that hideous cold I had is finally gone.
Goals remain the same as last month. Lose a few pounds by watching the portions and white carbs, keep up the exercising, get enough sleep (at least 7 hours a night) and drink plenty of water.

Yesterday I did a Leslie Sansone video and today I did the treadmill. I'm so glad that dang cold is finally done. :) I hope everyone is having a good week.

Reactions: KLS52
Haven’t started moving yet...had that brief spell, I think it was February?...when I started walking lunchtime because it we had that warm spell. But then we all know what happened after that...it was snowing this morning when I went to work, lol. I figure it has to warm up at some point and I will get back in the walking groove.

Still doing good with WW...down 10 pounds and I can be satisfied with that. Clothes are fitting really well. I’ll try and maintain this weight for a while.

Reactions: PTree15
@KLS52 That's awesome on the weight loss. Great job!! I am doing just OK with eating, but I'm getting back into my groove with that. It won't be long. Today I did 20 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of weights and toning. I even did a plank. I had gotten up to over a minute with those, but now I have to start all over again. I managed 35 seconds. I would like to get to at least a minute and a half. I haven't checked the weather yet, but I so want to get outside and walk tomorrow. I'm really, really tired of the cold weather. There was fricken frost on the car today. GRRRRR, it's April 11...enough already. :D

I had to go gluten free!:sob: I have been having health issues for a while now and I worked out that gluten was one of the causes.

I found it so difficult as first as a lot of gluten free breads have eggs in them. I have found some gluten free bread rolls that I like and have one toasted for breakfast most mornings and then the rest of the day doesn't seem so hard to eat gluten free. I think gluten free pasta tastes very similar to the real thing. I'm eating a lot of rice!:D

Yikes...I can’t imagine trying to do gluten free and vegan. Good that you are finding stuff you eat, though.

Yikes...I can’t imagine trying to do gluten free and vegan. Good that you are finding stuff you eat, though.

I was in such a bad mood at first.:rofl: It hasn't been as bad as I had feared.

I probably will eat gluten when I eat out, if I can. That is only a few meals a month so hopefully it should be okay if I avoid it the rest of the time.

I just saw today that Quorn have some new "meat" slices out, vegan and gluten free.:)

Did my first early morning walk since December 2017. Felt so good but it will be short-lived as we are back down to 47 degrees tomorrow, for a high. This morning it was 51 when I woke up...it was perfect. Tomorrow morning will only be 35 and drizzly, so that won’t do it for me. It will probably be another few weeks before I can get into a steady routine of morning walks, but on the nicer days, until then, I can probably do a lunchtime walk.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I did lose a few pounds!
I've really been trying to keep to whole foods, and I'm currently in a state of wanting/not wanting foods. I still have frozen things in the freezer, including some pretty old Morningstar riblets. I just made one and it really didn't taste like food at all! I didn't finish.

I also don't want to be that person who responds to 'is it vegan' questions with "it's not even food!" :sigh:

I've been pretty good sticking to wfpb, and Dr Gregers daily dozen! Using that as my guide I don't need to track calories nor nutrition! It's already there :)
Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen Checklist | NutritionFacts.org
I've been losing a couple pounds a week easily, although I do still have to think about what to eat and how I'm going to prepare foods. I'm really trying to avoid all oil and sugars, using dates or date syrups to sweeten things. I mix some date syrup with balsamic vinegar for salad dressing now, and like it! I like it as I include some olives and nuts, which I do!
Exercise. Now that's what i need more of! At work we now have a ping pong table and I've been playing at break. Doesn't sound like much, but for me it's progress! Pretty soon I'll be walking more. I do try and get some exercise routine in the morning and after work

I've been pretty good sticking to wfpb, and Dr Gregers daily dozen! Using that as my guide I don't need to track calories nor nutrition! It's already there :)
Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen Checklist | NutritionFacts.org

Funny, I was reading about that yesterday. I used to eat like that at one point but really don't at all now. I might look into it as it seems quite a simple way of eating healthy if you just have to cross off 12 things a day.:)

Funny, I was reading about that yesterday. I used to eat like that at one point but really don't at all now. I might look into it as it seems quite a simple way of eating healthy if you just have to cross off 12 things a day.:)
It does keep you focused. I've been making foods without any oil sugar or salt, and all whole foods, but in the end if i find it unpalatable, I'll add a spoon of mayo, or sprinkle of salt. I do find I'm getting better at things like using some broth, or water with liquid smoke, and herbs to saute, just enough so by the end they're sticking a bit and a bit of water deglazes, which adds so much flavor.
The dried mushrooms at the Asian store are easily powdered and make an easy, flavorful, thickener.
Date syrup has completely replaced any sugar craving. I now mix it with balsamic vinegar for salads and that even replaced the need for oil in dressing.
I have not lost my craving for salt! Miso is suggested, but that's not anywhere near enough. I found myself getting dizzy last week when i cut it out, I now use it sparingly. I'd like to understand what it is since i've been eating foods with enough sodium, like celery and miso and olives daily. That's supposed to be enough, and salt is supposed to be bad

Just had whole grain toast, natural PB, and a spoon of date syrup with a teasp of cacao powder mixed in, it was really good!

Reactions: Val and PTree15
My sister and I are doing a 30-day plank challenge. At the end, you're supposed to be able to do a five-minute plank. I'm up to a minute and a half, and I can see myself doing a minute more. I hope I can do the five minutes on Day 30! That would be awesome. At the very least, I'm being consistent with it. On Sunday I walked almost 5 miles, and yesterday and today I did the treadmill. I had to be in a bit early for a different sort of shift at work today, so I couldn't walk outside and get in enough minutes, hence the treadmill. I really wanted to walk outside because it was a beautiful morning. Tomorrow I will do weights and another plank.

Reactions: Val
My sister and I are doing a 30-day plank challenge. At the end, you're supposed to be able to do a five-minute plank. I'm up to a minute and a half, and I can see myself doing a minute more. I hope I can do the five minutes on Day 30! That would be awesome. At the very least, I'm being consistent with it. On Sunday I walked almost 5 miles, and yesterday and today I did the treadmill. I had to be in a bit early for a different sort of shift at work today, so I couldn't walk outside and get in enough minutes, hence the treadmill. I really wanted to walk outside because it was a beautiful morning. Tomorrow I will do weights and another plank.
Alright :up: I've been doing 30 seconds with my arms outstretched, and another 30 on my forearms. Five minutes sounds pretty daunting :eek: !
Do you do them on your forearms?

Alright :up: I've been doing 30 seconds with my arms outstretched, and another 30 on my forearms. Five minutes sounds pretty daunting :eek: !
Do you do them on your forearms?
Yes, on the forearms, bent at 90 degrees and whatnot. I will be shocked if I get past 2 minutes, let alone 5, lol. But I'm totally giving it a shot. This morning I did two because my friend was doing cardio and I got to the gym late because traffic was a bear. So I did my plank-challenge one and then I did one with my friend and lasted a minute. That was after I'd done weights, so I was pretty psyched about that. :) It must be really hard to do them with the arms outstretched. I clasp my hands because flat palms bother my wrists. Mine look like this:
upload_2018-4-25_10-14-50.png

Reactions: Val and KLS52
^ Looks difficult!:eek::D I find it weird that I used to do gymnastics at school and now I probably can't even do a cartwheel.:oops:

I am going to start each day with a green smoothie, today is baby spinach, strawberries, banana, water and a tablespoon of flaxseeds.

Reactions: Val
I was thinking how good my mental health is at the moment. Since paying off the mortgage and being debt free I feel so calm and unstressed. It's the least stressed I've ever been as an adult! It reminds me of the feeling when I was a kid and we broke up from school to have the 6 week holiday in the summer. I wake up in the night and go straight back to sleep without worrying about anything.:sleepy:

I'm sure my brain will come up with something to be anxious about soon, but at the moment it hasn't got anything.:p

Reactions: PTree15 and silva
Status
Not open for further replies.