Apps

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
We have discussed Apps before. But I don't think we ever had a thread on them.

What made me think this was a good idea is that Apple, in recognition of Earth Day, has a bunch of Earth friendly apps on the front page of the store today.

Some I already have. Some I have downloaded but haven't tried yet.

I think it would be fun to have a place to review apps and let others if there are some good ones to get.

Watch this space.

Reactions: Urban Gardener
This thread is lonely and unloved.

Well, I wanted to tell you about an app today and checked before making a new thread.

So the app is called Thyme.
I used it today for the first time in a while and I thought to myself, hey this should really come in handy for Thanksgiving.
The app is really just a multiple time app with a nice interface.

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 7.27.04 PM.png

This poor thread.

I am going to keep posting to it till it gets some love and attention. :)

One app that we have talked about in other threads is IsItVegan.
On iOS and Android.

Is It Vegan is a mobile tool for anyone interested​
in eliminating animal products from their diet.​
Even if you could read the tiny print on the label,​
do you know the difference between ergocalciferol, xylitol, and carminic acid?​

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
so good of you to keep trying.... lol .... I am anti-app as I really don't like downloading things, onto my phone, that I don't absolutely need

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Anti-App?

Hmm.
I must be Pro-app. I have 9 screens worth.

On a weekly basis I probably only use a couple of dozen.

Another good Vegan-Friendly app is the Daily Dozen.

Available on iOs and Android.
I actually prefer the old fashioned technique of having a laminated page on the refrigerator door with a dry erase pen nearby to physically make the check-offs. but for many, this is pretty convenient. Especially if you eat away from home a lot.

Keep track of the foods recommended by Dr. Greger in his New York Times Bestselling book, How Not to Die, and now his new book, How Not to Diet.
The 21 Tweaks feature, based on How Not to Diet, also provides a weight tracker. The weight tracker can use HealthKit to either save manually entered weight values or to read weight data from HealthKit enabled scales.
In the years of research required to create the more than a thousand evidence-based videos on his website NutritionFacts.org, Michael Greger, M.D, FACLM, has arrived at a list of what he considers the most important foods to include in a healthy daily diet.
Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen details the healthiest foods and how many servings of each we should try to check off every day. He explains his rationale in his book How Not to Die.
All his proceeds from his books, DVDs, and speaking engagements are all donated to charity.
NutritionFacts.org is a non-commercial, non-profit, science-based public service provided by Dr. Greger, providing free daily updates on the latest in nutrition research via bite-sized videos. He has nearly a thousand videos on every aspect of healthy eating, with new videos and articles uploaded every day.
Like this app, everything on the website is both free of ads and free of charge.

• Agree
Reactions: silva and Emma JC
One of the apps I use every day is Cronometer. Although I like to do most of my input on the computer using the CronOmeter website, the app comes in handy either to do some imputing or monitoring right at the dining room table.
and the app connects with the Apple Health app and many of the activity monitoring apps so you have a good idea of calories burnt too. The only thing is that if you want the website to update with that info you have to turn the Cronometer app on.
At the Apple Store and Google Play

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
An app I use almost every day is RunKeeper. There are dozens of other apps that do the same thing. I have even used some of them. I can't say that this one is any better than any of the others. The only reason I use it is my sister uses it. if you designate someone as a friend you get to see their runs and they get to see yours. You can even comment on their runs. Nowadays we just walk a lot. If anyone wants to "friend" me, let me know.

It's nice to see the maps, and the tracking and feedback are good. It tracks lots of stats. You can even track the mileage on your shoes.
Even if you forget to turn it on, if you walk far enough it will turn itself on.
You can even add photos to your runs.
It works in the background so you can use it while you listen to music or whatever.
And you can use it to program interval workouts. Or set a route.
You can even use it for other activities like biking and working out.
And it connects to Apple Health and CronOmeter.

RunGo

RunGo is the #1 running app for discovering the best routes in the world with turn-by-turn voice navigation. Build your own route, or select one of the 400,000 routes or verified routes worldwide, and follow a voice-guided tour, including every time there's a turn or a cool landmark, or an encouraging reminder that you're halfway there.
RunGo also tracks your run stats like time, pace, distance, elevation, and estimated finish time.
We proudly include no ads in the app, and a paid premium upgrade is available for additional features.

I don't use this app that often but it is such a useful thing - especially if you are traveling. and although its main intention is for running - there is no reason you can't use it for walking.

I think its main functionality is if you are traveling and visiting someplace new and want to go for a long walk. but I've also used it right in my own neighborhood when I wanted to go for a walk that was a specific distance.

You can do everything on the phone. But when I create my own route I like to use the website and send it to my phone. If you are thinking how is this different from Google Maps or Apple Maps - well those apps don't let you make your own routes. and with RunGo you can alter or customize an existing route. You can create a loop or you can plot out a route to a destination and click a button and it puts your route in reverse.

I used it in San Franciso a few times and some of the verified routes are like tour guides and tell you when you pass a landmark. * There are five of these in San Francisco, five in NYC, and eight in Florida. There are even some international ones. One Hundred and fifty in Canada, five of which are in Toronto. and another five in London.

I just made myself a new goal to do all the San Francisco ones.

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 9.27.12 AM.png

--------
* There are podcasts that do a better job of being tour guides. But they don't keep you from getting lost.

Reactions: Urban Gardener
So here is another app that I use every day. For the last 20 years, I have been suffering from a sleep disorder. A type of insomnia. I think it's called maintenance insomnia. I fall asleep quickly but then wake up a few hours later and can't fall asleep. I have it mostly licked and have a list of Dos and Don'ts that really help. but I've found that sleep monitoring really helps me get a handle on it. I've had several sleep apps over the years and the one I'm using is my favorite. but its not perfect.

It helps me answer basic questions like
How long did I sleep and how long was I awake?

It measures wake time, light sleep, deep sleep, and REM sleep.
It's free but like many other apps, you can pay for more features. I'd probably buy it but it's one of those subscription thingies. So you have to keep paying. but for my purposes the free one is fine.

Reactions: KLS52
I don’t download many apps because:

1) I use my phone’s storage space for other things.

2) Security and privacy - You’re better off with fewer apps. Yes, Apple reviews everything and has requirements, but they’re not perfect. Fewer apps means lower risk. And it means you’re not giving as much data to as many companies.

3) My phone runs better with fewer apps installed on it.

There aren’t many apps out there that are actually useful to me. When something is useful, I download it and then remove it when it ceases to be of benefit.

Most apps have a web-based equivalent. Using that instead makes sense for me.

Reactions: Brian W and Emma JC

This app is really hard to find. even if you know its name. so I'm put the link to it at the top.

You know how some apps have a trial period or a demo version and then you have to pay to get the full version. I usually don't bother with these. there are plenty of free apps.

When I downloaded this app's demo version the company had accidentally given me the full version. They fixed that with an update a week or two later but by then I was hooked and went ahead and paid for it.

I think a lot of people who use this, don't pay for it. but to unlock the editing capabilities you need to pay for it.

there are pre-made workouts that you can use or customize. I usually just make my own. You type what you want it to say, like "rotate neck left". and then you assign a time. after the time is up it will tell you what to do next.

What I like about it and how I use it is that I program it to give me voice prompts during a workout. Initially, i got it because I wanted to zone out on my stretching routines. so instead of me counting to 10, or setting a timer for each position, I would sit down and program a stretching routine. So it would tell me to rotate my neck to the right for 20 seconds and then it would beep and tell me to rotate my neck to the left for 20 seconds. I created both pre and post-workout stretching routines.

None of the other "timers" allow you to type in your own "commands"

Then I realized that I could also set it up for strength training routines. but instead of counting the number of reps, I would just set a time to do them in. Even if you end up counting the reps yourself it's good at reminding you what your next exercise is, and giving you set rest intervals.

and of course, it's really good for cardio workouts.

this year I've been using it multiple times a day to do my physical therapy. Most of the head and neck stuff I have to do can be done in the car and you can listen to music (or a podcast) in the background while this thing tells you what you need to be doing.

Photoscan

Moving away from the health area, this one is one of my favorites. but I don't use it every week. but when I do use it I use it a lot.

It allows you to digitize your old photos

Going thru my mom's old photos I found a polaroid of me and my mom. I used Photoscan to digitize it and I think it came out pretty good.

YGFNE0674.jpeg

and here is one in color.

ACMFE7092.jpeg

Keep in mind that these photos were stored in a box for 50 - 60 years.

NPR One

I have this app on my Kindle Fire and sometimes use it to listen to the news before bed. And TBH I was not that impressed with it. But then I read something about it and took the time to activate it on my iPhone. The iOS version is better. It might also be good on an Android phone, too.

Before there were podcasts I always listened to the radio and mostly to NPR. I have a radio in every room of the house. Even now if I'm only going to listen to the radio for a few minutes I'll just turn on the radio. But if I'm going to be listening while cooking, cleaning, or folding, I will play a podcast.

NPR One is sort of the best of both worlds. You get your story right away without having to do browsing. But unlike the radio, there is no jumping in halfway thru. And if you need to stop it, it waits for you to come back. and you can bookmark shows and come back to them later. And you can "follow" shows and even get notifications when there is a new episode.

Hoopla

Hoopla is one of my favorite apps. It's also a website.

Your public library needs to subscribe to it.

Anyway, with Hoopla, you can download e-books, audiobooks, movies, TV shows, albums, and comics.

You can use the website on your computer or the app on your tablet or smartphone. It even does a pretty good job of remembering where you left off. For instance, you could be listening to an audiobook on your tablet and then head out and start it up on your phone. And most of the time it remembers where you left off.

Their catalog won't have this week's best sellers. but it's surprising how good their catalog is.

This month I've listened to Taylor Swift's Folklore, watched Eating You Alive, read the Queen's Gambit, and listened to audiobooks.

All for free.

Google Play, Amazon, Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire TV, Android TV

Oh! I recognize you from when I lived in the Bay Area!

Joking.
Both pics were taken in NY. Where I grew up. My best guess is that the beach pic is at a Beach Club that could be in Long Beach. (near Jones Beach).
And of course both pics were taken before you were born.
:)

• Haha
For reading, maybe my 3rd most used app is Libby

It has the same catalog as OverDrive which is its Grandfather. They invented Libby as a friendlier, funner version of OverDrive. I guess Libby is short for Library.

It has its own reader and player but you can send your books to Kindle or Apple's Books. or I suppose any reader you want. Basically, if your library has audio or an e-book you can get it from Libby.

For people who can't get to the library, or whose library is still closed down cause of COVID, Libby is a godsend.