Applebee’s fires waitress who posted receipt from pastor complaining about auto-tip

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This really pisses me off. The pastor was the one who left the remark, and now she is blaming the waitress for ruining her reputation, and got her fired. If she was embarrassed by her remark, she shouldn't have left it.

And Applebee's should not have apologized for their waitress, they should have apologized to her for being treated that way by a customer.

An Applebee's waitress who posted a receipt with a note from a pastor complaining about the automatic gratuity added to the bill on the Internet was fired on Wednesday after the pastor complained to her manager.
Chelsea Welch, the waitress, wrote in an email to Yahoo News that the pastor (who has since been identified as Alois Bell) told Welch's manager at the St. Louis-area Applebee's that the ensuing firestorm had "ruined" her reputation.
"I give God 10%," Bell wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip and scribbling in an emphatic "0" where the additional tip would be. "Why do you get 18?" (There were more than eight people in Bell's party, triggering the auto-tip.)...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/applebees-waitress-fired-pastor-receipt-193820748.html

Only in 'murica.

Well, I'd say that everyone was at fault at some point here, the pastor for disregarding the mandatory tip and the remark, the waitress for being unprofessional and the restaurant for giving in for such ridiculous claims and making this thing possible to begin with.

Most restaurants automatically add a tip to big parties. There are disclaimers all over the menus. The pastor is just being a jerk. But honestly, given the state of Christianity in the States, I shouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: thefadedone
Christians tend to act very UN-Christian a lot of the time.... :(
I don't think that waitress should have lost her job.... though she did use poor judgement by putting that online. These days you can be fired over a FB post.....

Yeah, she should have blocked out all identifying information before posting; but I don't think she should be fired.

Only in 'murica.

Well, I'd say that everyone was at fault at some point here, the pastor for disregarding the mandatory tip and the remark, the waitress for being unprofessional and the restaurant for giving in for such ridiculous claims and making this thing possible to begin with.

Agreed. I don't think the waitress deserved to be fired over it though, but she should have known better than to post it online for the world to see.
This is yet another reason for me to hate Applebees.

Well I am glad the waitress was fired. Two wrongs don't make a right. Taking a photo of someone's signature on a receipt, which is company property, and plastering it on the internet, are unacceptable. She was just playing a nasty game of tit-for-tat, instead of trying to find a constructive solution. I have no sympathy for her. She's a typical internet-generation idiot. Too bad there isn't a fine that can be imposed on her action.

Things are different in America. Tipping is not compulsory but it nearly is. So tipping is generally to be considered as part of the bill there (it was that way when i visited). In Europe or New Zealand/Australia, tipping is seen as an optional extra (though in Italy I remember getting automatic service charges on restaurant bills).