APNewsBreak: Egg group scrambled over eggless mayo maker, tried to halt sales at Whole Foods.

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A California company that makes an eggless mayonnaise alternative has the U.S. egg industry scrambling.

The American Egg Board, which is responsible for the "Incredible, Edible Egg" slogan, waged a campaign to counter the emergence of Hampton Creek's Just Mayo spread, and even tried to prevent its sale at Whole Foods grocery stores, according to documents provided to The Associated Press.

The documents offer a sometimes comic glimpse into the alarm the egg group felt about the startup and its CEO, Josh Tetrick, who has said he wants to make the food system more environmentally friendly by replacing the eggs in an array of foods with plant-based alternatives.

"You want me to contact some of my old buddies in Brooklyn to pay Mr. Tetrick a visit?" one egg board executive wrote to another, presumably in jest...
Eggless Mayo Causes Heartache

The poor egg industry, ha!

If the FDA's definition of mayonnaise is, indeed, that it has to be an egg based product, maybe the consideration should be to change the definition rather than tell HC it can't call its egg free product "mayo". I like that better.

I've read comments about this on other sites, mainly from omnis, who say why doesn't the company simply change the name of the product since they're obviously not making REAL mayonnaise?

I've read comments about this on other sites, mainly from omnis, who say why doesn't the company simply change the name of the product since they're obviously not making REAL mayonnaise?
if it tastes like mayonnaise, I think they should be able to call it mayonnaise.

Reactions: ledboots
Sounds interesting.

I recently saw a piece that was shared on facebook a few times about "Something's rotten at Hampton Creeks", and another article on TechCrunch, that positively reeked of industry interest.

The "allegations" made sounded not very substantial, to me.

Best regards,
Andy

Oh, I see Hampton Creek is just run by blaggers.....it might not matter in the end, if they can make decent food. I'm sure most industries blag their way through things, especially where the public image is concerned, and the press. You have to watch out for the animal abuse industry as it senses blood....they are used to sensing blood.

Oh, I see Hampton Creek is just run by blaggers.....it might not matter in the end, if they can make decent food.

Indeed. That is exactly my view.

And, what shall I say, having worked in Management Consulting for more than a decade, my view is that blagging is more present than a normal person might think ;-)

Ah- I thought there was a thread about "Just Mayo" someplace! I mentioned it in another thread, but I'll do it here too: "Just Mayo" is now on sale in my local chain supermarket, it's only 20% more expensive than Hellman's Real Mayonnaise, and it tastes as good as I remember Hellman's tasting. It contains pea protein; I don't know if that would be an allergen problem, but I read the label, and it doesn't appear to have soy (not that soy gives me problems).

Traditionally, "mayonnaise" is made with egg. The ingredients for JM are listed on the label, so I don't know if you could call it "false advertising". Hellman's had already lost me as a customer, anyway.

Reactions: PTree15 and Andy_T