Any Tips for Making Seitan ?

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
No fake meat except for tofufurters. Tofu is the hard awful tasting one overhere so I'm back to trying to make my own seitan.:yes:

I have googled up a very simple recipe ; gluten, spices, soya, water. Knead 12 times and pressure cook with stock for 20 minutes.
My oven is out of order as the glass on the door is shattered so baking is out of grounds.

Does anyone have any useful tips ?<3

I don't - I prefer to bake seitan because I like the texture better that way. It always turns out too rubbery for me when I cook it. Also, I generally substitute some garbanzo flower for a little of the gluten, also to reduce the rubberiness.

I haven't tried cooking it since I started using chickpea flour though - that might be enough to take care of the texture problem in any case.

I don't - I prefer to bake seitan because I like the texture better that way. It always turns out too rubbery for me when I cook it. Also, I generally substitute some garbanzo flower for a little of the gluten, also to reduce the rubberiness.

I haven't tried cooking it since I started using chickpea flour though - that might be enough to take care of the texture problem in any case.

I will try it as soon as the oven door is repaired and will remember to use some flour. I use spelt or kamut flour for baking and cooking.

I made some today and it did come out rubbery as usual.:(

I also much prefer baking. I like to use some pureed beans in the mix.

What if you made a small recipe and rolled into links, and cooked in pan stove top on a low heat?

I think it gives it much better texture.

1 1/2 cups gluten
1/2 cup oats whirred in blender
spices (I like black pepper, sage and thyme)

1/2 cup beans
1 1/4 cups broth
a squirt of dijon mustard

mix dry together, then add wet. Wrap tightly in foil and bake at 350 F for 60 min, turning every 15 min for even bake till it swells.
I adjusted this from a Robin Robertson recipe.

I also much prefer baking. I like to use some pureed beans in the mix.

What if you made a small recipe and rolled into links, and cooked in pan stove top on a low heat?
Beans - that's an interesting idea. I'll have to try that.

I think it gives it much better texture.

1 1/2 cups gluten
1/2 cup oats whirred in blender
spices (I like black pepper, sage and thyme)

1/2 cup beans
1 1/4 cups broth
a squirt of dijon mustard

mix dry together, then add wet. Wrap tightly in foil and bake at 350 F for 60 min, turning every 15 min for even bake till it swells.
I adjusted this from a Robin Robertson recipe.

Thanx a million. I'll try it asap.:clap:

...and my favorite way to fix seitan that doesnt' turn out good enough as-is. Adapted from Chloe Coscarelli:
1 recipe seitan (like from 2 cups gluten) sliced thin in strips
Sautee onions, celery, stir fry veggies--whatever
While thats cooking- combine 1/2 cup hoisen sauce,
1/2 cup cold water with 1 T. cornstarch whisked in
as much ginger and garlic as you'd like.
When veggies are crisp done, add seitan and sauce.

I also like to sub pineapple juice for water and add drained pineapple to sauteed veggies at end to deglaze pan and carmelize.

I just made this after making seitan with just gluten and it kinda rubbery!

I often find things like hoisen in discount stores really cheap

I like it steamed. I also have made it in a bread machine, just to see if I could. And yes, I could.

I like steaming too. This recipe has worked especially well for me. I modify the flavorings depending on what I want the seitan for. I recently made it with a bunch of sun dried tomatoes and fresh basil mixed in.