Any Advice B12?

JuliaH

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello - I am a relatively new vegan and have been substituting my diet with B12 boost oral spray (4 squirts a day). I noticed over the last two or so weeks that my legs have become insanely itchy - I mean rip the skin off itchy and then happened to notice one of the side effects of B12 is itchiness!

Now I'm not called sherlock for nothing but I put 2 and 2 together and have guessed that the B12 might be the culprit. I am about to stop the B12 to see if the itchiness eases but if it does does anyone have any suggestions for how to substitute my diet?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!!

How many mcg is in one spray? I take a 5000mcg tablet sublingually once every 2 or 3 months and every time my blood results have come back great. B12 deficiencies take a long time to come about, sometimes up to 10 years from what a doctor once told me. We're all different sure but it's one of those things that most people don't have to be too religious about. 4 sprays in any reasonable amount seems a bit much I would say, you're probably peeing most of it out!

How many mcg is in one spray? I take a 5000mcg tablet sublingually once every 2 or 3 months and every time my blood results have come back great. B12 deficiencies take a long time to come about, sometimes up to 10 years from what a doctor once told me. We're all different sure but it's one of those things that most people don't have to be too religious about. 4 sprays in any reasonable amount seems a bit much I would say, you're probably peeing most of it out!

Thanks for responding - I'm following the amount suggested on the bottle but it may be too much. It doesn't show the amount in mcg but in some weird measurement like a backwards u and a g and it says 1200 for 4 sprays (one daily dose)! It's not dodgy!! I got it from amazon and is well used and popular. Looks like I'll just have to up the marmite! Thanks for your help.

Reactions: earthlingtommy
Ah it's the same then, µg is micrograms :) 1,200 daily is a lot! Adults are recommended to get 2 and a half mcg a day. If I had that spray I would use a couple sprays a few times a week but that's just me. They do say B12 is used more efficiently when taken in smaller amounts but more regularly, no harm in applying your intake that way but for sure you're most likely in excess of B12 than too little!

thank you! that's been really helpful and I think pretty much confirms that the B12 overdose is to blame! Let's hope it wears off quickly before I'm down to my bones!

As I've mentioned on this forum before, B12 makes me really bad-tempered. A Marmite sandwich seems to provide enough for me. If I take a vitamin tablet every day it's too much, so I'll have one every other day if I remember. I try to eat quite healthily too.