Anti-vegan grandma

Anonymous1502

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
My grandma is recently annoying me, she keeps calling me whenever she finds some news about a flaky vegan becoming unwell.What about all those non vegans that are unwell?Anyone can become unwell on any diet.It is starting to irritate me.It got to the point that I stopped answering her phone calls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Show her some athletes and famous people that are vegan. Problem solved.

Reactions: Hog
Also, the arguably smartest man EVER in the history of mankind was a vegetarian. Can your grandma agrue with that?

Here's an actual quote from Einstein himself: "Nothing will benefit health or increase chances of survival on earth as the evolution to a vegetarian diet".

If that isn't enough: The following people you might have heard from were also vegetarian:

Except for Plato who was actually a pescatarian.

If your grandma says they are all dead than she would be right but it is also normal for a person that was born in 1452 to be dead by now. If he wouldn't be, he would be a vampire. Anyway, all of them (except for Kafka who died of TBC) lived long and full lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: TofuRobot
tactfully point out that there are plenty of unhealthy people who eat her diet as well and for whatever reason, the newspapers choose not to report those!

We've all been there and had the same pointed out to us all of the time. I even saw a nutritionalist at one point when I became seriously ill. It was a Swedish friend who suggested it and she couldn't make any changes to my diet after everything. I consulted her again when I decided to quit to rat race and go off and cycle around the world. The outcome as that she tactfully pointed out to me that where I was able to source ingredients and cook my own food (not always possible and there were one or two occasions where I ended up eating meat/fish because of the countries I was in and the availability of food resources full stop) I was better off staying vegan because it was a healthier diet and included more protein than returning to being vegetarian or actually trying to eat meat/fish on a regular basis.

I did notice a couple of other thread titles from yourself - relating to junk food and to being pregnant, so you may possibly want to consult someone over a vegan diet so that you are getting enough protein vits and minerals from your vegan diet because resorting to junk food and the likes (frozen ready meals) is often a good indication of someone needing extra support in learning to cook vegan food from scratch. (but if I have the wrong member, I apologise).

Your Grandma is probably just worried about you. Just reassure her but yeah if these calls are going to keep on coming there is a limit to how many you can take. Eventually you could make a list of all the health organizations that say that vegan diets are healthy.

I think you should make sure your grandma knows you love her VERY much and care about her deeply, because even if she's wrong about vegans being unhealthy - you are so fortunate to have somebody who loves you enough to think about your health! Even if she's wrong.....which she is.....

I come from a very long line of meat cutters. My family has owned meat markets for generations. Imagine the family horror when I dared to explore being a vegetarian as a teenager, and then when my son became a vegan and decided to raise his children vegan! It has made it difficult for me to stick to my plans and now that I'm living next door to my dad again.....well.......I have to ignore a lot of well-intentioned advice. I've decided to make the transition to veganism and I'm going to have to keep that a secret. My dad honestly believes that not eating meat leads to mental illness. He's an old man. I'm not going to change his mind about anything.

Think about what it would take for an old person to admit to themselves that it's not necessary to eat animal products. That would mean they would have to admit to themselves that they have personally been responsible for the unnecessary suffering of animals for many decades. It's much easier for a young person, who doesn't have to deal with that.

speaking of old people not changing their minds.... I happened to see this on LiveKindly vegan news today - a 96 year old lady decided to become a vegan....

Emma JC

speaking of old people not changing their minds.... I happened to see this on LiveKindly vegan news today - a 96 year old lady decided to become a vegan....

Emma JC

Whhhoooooaaaaa - vegan KFC chicken sandwich?

That is a very admirable 96 year old! She looks GREAT for her age!

Reactions: Emma JC
I've been eating pretty much a plant-based diet since 2005 but went strict vegetarian in 2007 and then vegan in 2012. I can say that I've also had some challenges from workmates and family. This is not because I even want to talk about my diet, but people like to make their opinions known on how bad it can be for health and they'll generally point to the diet causing your cold, flu, or whatever... once you're vegan, anything that goes wrong with you is because you're vegan. :)

Well, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't...

I found that eventually people give up and won't bother to bring it up anymore. It's gotten way easier now with my family, but maybe that's because they've seen the benefits it's had for me... I mean, I've barely aged since I was 18 haha, so that helps.

But you literally gotta just brush it off and not let it make you feel anxious. It's easy to get into fights and trying to prove who is right or wrong. Just make sure that you're taking care of yourself, being sensible, and eventually, some people will come around. Most family and friends just want to make sure that you're healthy and not harming yourself.