Anonymous forums

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been considering installing this add-on:
This addon allows you to set a node of your forum to be anonymous in one of two ways - either complete anonymity (e.g. old 4chan) or unique user id per thread (current 4chan). In either case user 'names' are generated by a simple hashing algorithm that tries to create pronounceable names - gets some interesting results :p
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/anonymous-section.916/

I'm thinking I could create special sub-forums within the men's and women's health forums where people can post about issues they only want to talk about anonymously. What do you think? Are there other areas it could be useful as well / instead?

Idk... part of the draw to the women's health forum is having a safe space to talk about issues without anonymity. If women wanted to remain unknown, they could check out any of the numourus forums specifically for women's health that are on the web. The whole point of the women's health forum is to seek help and support from the people you know and the friends you have made here on vv.

Well, I understand what you mean, kfl, about talking to people you know. But this would be in addition to the current health forums, so you still have the option to talk non-anonymously.

Mostly I just thought it was a cool add-on and wanted to find a use for it :) But if there is no interest for it, then I won't install it.

If you really really wanted to use the feature, you could create a random chat forum where people post anon. That might be fun.

I just wouldn't want this place turning into 4chan! Maybe create a dummy account (like we do for exchanges) that people can log in and out of when they want to be candid. Perhaps you'd have to be a regular/VV member to use the account.

Reactions: thefadedone
For those people who don't keep an anonymous identity on forums (i.e. people know their Facebook accounts and such), it might be a good thing for them to be able to post about problems or controversial stances that they might otherwise be reluctant to post about. I think it would be interesting to see if anything comes out of the anonymous option.

The duck hunters could come invade though, or would it be members only? I haven't seen these women's forums so I don't know if it would help people to be anonymous.

The duck hunters could come invade though, or would it be members only? I haven't seen these women's forums so I don't know if it would help people to be anonymous.

It's a private forum, you have to ask to join. Please do, we would love to have you. :)

Idk... part of the draw to the women's health forum is having a safe space to talk about issues without anonymity. If women wanted to remain unknown, they could check out any of the numourus forums specifically for women's health that are on the web. The whole point of the women's health forum is to seek help and support from the people you know and the friends you have made here on vv.

Good point.

I just wouldn't want this place turning into 4chan! Maybe create a dummy account (like we do for exchanges) that people can log in and out of when they want to be candid. Perhaps you'd have to be a regular/VV member to use the account.

I like this idea also!

For those people who don't keep an anonymous identity on forums (i.e. people know their Facebook accounts and such), it might be a good thing for them to be able to post about problems or controversial stances that they might otherwise be reluctant to post about. I think it would be interesting to see if anything comes out of the anonymous option.

Also a good point. I can see how it might be useful, but I can also understand how some people would have no use for it. I think maybe it's worth a try.:shrug:

Is there a way for the admin/mods to tell who is using it? Because I could see how it could be used to troll or be an *******. For example, Member A is such a great person! But no one knows that they go onto anon to cause trouble. I hate crap like that. All too often, I see that happen online when people are allowed to send others/forums anon messages.

I like this. We can have a dummy account for exchanges (or one per exchange), a dummy account for advice seekers, even the secret crush one on the other board was fun for a bit; though i don't know why it stopped.

That way instead of being anon or guest all over the place, there can be a designated dummy account for whatever purpose you need.

Reactions: Scorpius
The duck hunters could come invade though, or would it be members only?
No, it would be members only. And I should set it up so only members with a certain post count would use it (i.e. not total newbies).
I like this. We can have a dummy account for exchanges (or one per exchange), a dummy account for advice seekers, even the secret crush one on the other board was fun for a bit; though i don't know why it stopped.
Yeah, if you'd like something like that, that's fine. Actually, I think we did already create one for the bag exchange.
That way instead of being anon or guest all over the place, there can be a designated dummy account for whatever purpose you need.
The anonymous option would be limited to specific forums only. I wouldn't want it outside of that. I do realise it could still be abused tho, but the members here have so far been very well-behaved. As a precaution, it should be clear from the outset that the moderators are allowed to be quite heavy-handed with these posts if there is even a minuscule suspicion of trolling.