Anonymous and the Steubenville Files

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
Hacktivists Anonymous are working on bringing justice to an entire town for covering up a gang rape attack committed by the town's star football team.

Trigger warning on these links, spoilers for that reason.

Ma'lik Richmond and Trenton Mays, both 16 and members of the Steubenville High School football team, are charged with raping a 16-year-old fellow student at a party last August, according to statements from their attorneys.

Jefferson County Sheriff Fred Abdalla, accused of shielding the popular football program from a more rigorous investigation, told reporters no one else would be charged in the case, just moments after he addressed about 1,000 protesters gathered in front of the Jefferson County Courthouse.

"I'm not going to stand here and try to convince you that I'm not the bad guy," he said to a chorus of boos. "You've already made your minds up."

The "Occupy Steubenville" rally was organized by the online activist group Anonymous.

from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/05/steubenville-rape-protests_n_2416820.html

Case info so far, including some of the evidence: http://localleaks.blogs.ru/2013/01/01/steubenvillefiles/

http://www.stopbigred.com/

This seems like something out of a novel to me. In fact, I've actually read novels with similar storylines. The video of Nodianos joking around and describing the attack is absolutely harrowing. That an entire town can be so corrupt as to cover for these scumbags sickens me.

One of the worst tweets, IMO, was this one by Parks: "how can she be scarred for life [if she] supposedly can’t remember anything." This makes me angry in ways I can't even begin to put into words.

I pretty much fell in love with Anonymous after I heard they did this.

I'm just hoping an outside group will come in and take over the investigation, otherwise most of those guys will get away with it. Everyone they named should be in jail; from the DA whose son is part of the group, to the website owner with pictures of underage girls.

Unfortunately, I doubt that the bystanders, even the ones who filmed it, are guilty of a crime.

India are kicking the West's *** when it comes to protesting rape. They put us to shame, so easy to cover things up here.

Failure to report? Being an accessory? Hopefully something...
Failure to report a crime is not a crime, at least not anywhere in the U.S. with which I'm familiar. And it takes more than being a bystander, or even filming the crime, to be considered an accessory under the law.

I'm not saying that's right (or wrong - it becomes difficult to legislate wholesale mandatory reporting without opening up a whole other can of worms) - it's just what the law is currently.

That being said, I think everyone's behavior is absolutely sickening, and if I were the parent of any of the kids who saw what was happening and didn't do anything about it, I would be heartily ashamed of the parenting job I'd done to date.

India are kicking the West's *** when it comes to protesting rape. They put us to shame, so easy to cover things up here.

If you read about what's been going on in India, and the public corruption that's still rampant there, I think you'd have a hard time comparing India favorably to the U.S., New Zealand, etc.

Failure to report a crime is not a crime, at least not anywhere in the U.S. with which I'm familiar. And it takes more than being a bystander, or even filming the crime, to be considered an accessory under the law.

I'm not saying that's right (or wrong - it becomes difficult to legislate wholesale mandatory reporting without opening up a whole other can of worms) - it's just what the law is currently.

That being said, I think everyone's behavior is absolutely sickening, and if I were the parent of any of the kids who saw what was happening and didn't do anything about it, I would be heartily ashamed of the parenting job I'd done to date.

If you read about what's been going on in India, and the public corruption that's still rampant there, I think you'd have a hard time comparing India favorably to the U.S., New Zealand, etc.

that is true, but governments are corrupt everywhere. The people themselves though are doing a great job. Perhaps they should be the government.

They are protesting at the moment, and I hope that that momentum is maintained and things change. However, India does have a history of massive public support for change, but that momentum dies away quickly and nothing changes. (The huge support for the hunger-striking anti graft crusader a year or so ago is just one recent example).

The fact is that India has a staggeringly high rape rate, and a woman who is no longer a virgin has difficulty finding a husband. Those are societal and cultural issues.

If I remember correctly from reading about the surviving victim's (the young woman's friend) account, they were lying naked on the side of the road for an hour or so after they were finally thrown from the bus, pleading for help, before anyone even bothered calling the authorities. Then, when the police came, they argued jurisdiction for nearly half an hour, and then finally a passerby gave the young man a blanket with which to cover the girl. Face it, Indian society has a long history of being able to be blind to misery that's right under one's feet.

I'm not trying to bash India or Indians - our societies do the same things, in varying degrees. I'm just suggesting that there's not really cause for favorable comparison to the rest of us.